Richard Bleier Traded to Miami

oriolesacox

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I added a thread to discuss...rant about it.

Why does it have to be PTBNLs? With Velazquez fine ...but Bleier is a valuable piece imo

I don't need to rant about it. Middle relievers, while Bleier has value, isn't worth losing sleep over. It's also evident that we are in a pandemic and the way traded used to go down aren't the same. So who knows what level a player a PTBNL will be. 

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

You realize I am referring to Tanner Scott, and not to Poster Scott

My FB would be 50 mph max. In fact I can't even throw a ball 60'6".

I could throw it that far... but it would be the last time I could raise my arm above my waist!

22 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Could be. But as return for Bleier, he's a very good reliever when he's on, but he's still just an old reliever with bad peripherals really outperforming his stats. You can't really expect a top prospect for him. Which is all you would get from the Marlins' 60-man. And you can't trade those who aren't on the 60-man. So it's a PTBNL. Like SteveA said, it'll be announced after the season.

Exactly.

32 minutes ago, scOtt said:

My FB would be 50 mph max. In fact I can't even throw a ball 60'6".

I could throw it that far... but it would be the last time I could raise my arm above my waist!

I have big problems with Tanner but none at all with you.

I suppose I should have made that clear the first time.

I don’t understand why MLB teams chose to stack their taxi squads with players who have no chance of playing for the big league team this year. Maybe I’m missing the big picture but it would seem the taxi squad concept was implemented to avoid the problems the Marlins are having right now.

Like, why does Max Meyer need a taxi squad spot? If you want to give him reps at the Alternate training site, just get all of your minor leaguers together and scrimmage them in some unofficial capacity. 

It’s probably me who is missing the point, because I’m the one in the armchair.

27 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I don’t understand why MLB teams chose to stack their taxi squads with players who have no chance of playing for the big league team this year. Maybe I’m missing the big picture but it would seem the taxi squad concept was implemented to avoid the problems the Marlins are having right now.

Like, why does Max Meyer need a taxi squad spot? If you want to give him reps at the Alternate training site, just get all of your minor leaguers together and scrimmage them in some unofficial capacity

It’s probably me who is missing the point, because I’m the one in the armchair.

I don't think teams are allowed to do that.  There is no minor league season.   The 60 guys are -- technically -- there only to support the enterprise of major league baseball.   Everyone else is supposed to stay home and social distance.   Now of course teams are using some 60 man spots to get some extra work for their prospects.   Any rule that is made will be manipulated as much as possible to a team's benefit.   But the bottom line is that only the majors is playing this year and the only people who should be gathered in one (or two -- Bowie & Baltimore) place playing are guys who can contribute to that.   And protocols are in those places, supposedly, to prevent spread of Covid-19.

I guess the solution would have been to allow a 3rd camp besides the major leagues and the alternate camp for other guys from the minor league system.   And to implement protocols there so they could gather in a large group and play.   But of course that would cost money and it would not support the only reason this season is being played -- to have a televisable major league season and more importantly postseason and for members of the MLBPA to get some portion of their multimillion dollar salaries.

A 3rd camp with minor leaguers would cost money and generate nothing.   So instead you set up an alternate site, a 60 man roster, to give the MLB teams a pool of players to call up, knowing that a few guys on that roster will never call up but teams have the ability to get a little extra instruction to the gems of their system even though the minors are shut down.