Cutouts in the stands

Frobby

I like it.     Thought it was really a fun vibe in Philly.    I like their phony crowd noise too, complete with random horn blasts.    Overall, I think the sound engineers are getting better at what they’re doing with experience.   

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like it.     Thought it was really a fun vibe in Philly.    I like their phony crowd noise too, complete with random horn blasts.    Overall, I think the sound engineers are getting better at what they’re doing with experience.   

Horn blasts arent phony.  There's a group of 10 or 12 real fans who go to a gate of the stadium where they can see a tiny sliver of the field through bars and they sit in lawn chairs and stand on ladders and follow the game and blow horns and do some chants.  They wear masks and say they social distance.  The Phillies even turned on TVs over concession stands in their view so they can watch the game.

They call themselves the Phandemic Crew or something like that.

Aaron Boone and the Yankees actually complained about them saying the horn blasts were timed with pitches just like fans who try to disturb golfers by making noise just as they swing.

Google Phandemic, you'll find articles about the m.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

Horn blasts arent phony.  There's a group of 10 or 12 real fans who go to a gate of the stadium where they can see a tiny sliver of the field through bars and they sit in lawn chairs and stand on ladders and follow the game and blow horns and do some chants.  They wear masks and say they social distance.  The Phillies even turned on TVs over concession stands in their view so they can watch the game.

Aaron Boone and the Yankees actually complained about them saying the horn blasts were timed with pitches just like fans who try to disturb golfers by making noise just as they swing.

Now I like it even better!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do the Phillies sell those seats to fans for the cutout? Do they have a similar pricing tier for the premium seats? If so, creative revenue generator. 

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

Google Phandemic, you'll find articles about the m.

That's really nice of them to do!

35 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Do the Phillies sell those seats to fans for the cutout? Do they have a similar pricing tier for the premium seats? If so, creative revenue generator. 

I have a couple friends who are Phillies fans and yes, you buy those pictures. It cost $40 to get a cut out made and placed in the stadium somewhere.

The sound engineers are really poor at keeping the energy going, I've found. There was a situation last night where the Phils had just tied up the game in the 9th, and they had Jean Segura up to bat with a chance to win it on a homer or at least keep their rally going. The sound engineers had the crowd deflate to the "normal buzz" that you'd hear in, oh, I don't know, the third inning of a 0-0 game on a Sunday. 

No. That's not how crowds work.

It's like the whole thing is computer AI controlled, and after the play is done, it "defaults" back to normal. It was strikingly unnatural.

4xpkuni.png

In what world does a Phils home team not go ABSOLUTELY WILD in the bottom of the 9th for Jean Segura's entire AB?

--

Overall, I feel like the sound engineers around the league are capturing the experience of the crowd noise about as accurately as an 8 year old could in his or her memory of a recent game. There's far too much cheering when an opposing team hits a home run (even accounting for all the damn NYY fans coming down to OPACY). On that note, there's no "cheer rivalry" for nearby teams -- and all of this year's teams are nearby, so we should be hearing a lesser Nats chant at OPACY, for instance. And the energy level dies down to default after every play.

Oh, and there's no "sarcastic cheer" when a home team pitcher who's been terrible finally gets an out. There's no groaning when the away team hits a grand slam. It's just amusing how many scenarios are just completely absent or get replaced with generic cheers.

And the crowd's reaction to plays is hugely delayed, because they have to wait until they know what reaction to play. Like on a fly ball that isn't obvious if it's a home run, a hit or an out. Instead of the anticipation palpably building, it's just quiet, then 3-4 seconds after the outfielder makes the catch, there's cheering. Far too long of a delay.

Overall I'd rather them just not do it. It doesn't feel natural 80% of the time.

Also, I heard on the news somewhere that OPACY put up huge green barriers at the gates so there's no way that fans could possibly see inside the park from outside. They did this to prevent people from violating social distancing rules by hanging out around the park.

I also note that OPACY has never had a "sellout" name like "Citizen's Bank Field" or "PNC Bank Field" or anything like that. And OPACY doesn't do the cardboard cutouts thing as a revenue generator.

PA or his sons might just be really traditional. I kind of like the way the O's are dealing with this strange season. That's not to say, IF the O's had offered cutouts, that I wouldn't have bought one. I think I might have. :P

• Upvote 1

For all the problems this year, people are creative.  I think the cutouts are fun.  Some teams have apps to send in your picture and they randomly select and print them.  There are many cutouts of old players, Star Wars figures and everything else.  I've seen Bartman, Soto hit a HR near a section of his family cutouts, etc.  It does make it feel a bit more normal and we all need that, same with the sounds.  I still want a highlight video of cardboard fans being destroyed by foul balls and homeruns though.  

• Upvote 1

I happened to see Pivetta's 9th inning disaster fest Monday night (yielding I believe Markakis's 500th double in garbage time), during which the announcers said he looked annoyed at being brought into a 12-1 game, and also that as he was scuffling before being yanked, they could hear him being booed by the fans outside the stadium.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I liked it all except for the annoying idiots with the air horns outside the stadium. 

36 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

I also note that OPACY has never had a "sellout" name like "Citizen's Bank Field" or "PNC Bank Field" or anything like that. And OPACY doesn't do the cardboard cutouts thing as a revenue generator.

Profits from the cutouts goes to the team's charities. It's not a money grab.