No more argument to play Chris Davis

accinfo

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is professional baseball, not little league, everyone doesn't get a chance to play. 

You should experience his mom at a game.  She's going to stand at the end of the dugout and let Hyde have it every game her boy isn't in the lineup.  Once quarantine is over.  Now it's just emails.  And Skype.  And Zoom.  And Teams.  Texts.  Facebook messenger.  Lots of Facebook messenger.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He already considered retirement ... That means he would walk away from the money!

If he decides to retire he could come to the team and ask for a buyout to leave. If the team bulks which is also possible he could retire.

His ego and mental state has also been damaged and could further be by not playing.

Saying it and doing it are 2 different things. 

I have no idea what his mental state is. 

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Saying it and doing it are 2 different things. 

I have no idea what his mental state is. 

“I know what I’m capable of," Davis told The Sun. “I know what I expect of myself and I don’t want to continue to just struggle and be a below-average, well-below-average producer at the plate.”

Chris Davis was so despondent last September about his prolonged woes, the slumping slugger considered drastic action. He thought about walking away from the Baltimore Orioles, the game of baseball and a rich contract.

After his numbers fell so hard, Davis acknowledged he had contemplated retirement.

“I’d be lying if I told you that wasn’t at least talked about towards the end of the season last year and this offseason,” Davis said. “I know what I’m capable of. I know what I expect of myself and I don’t want to continue to just struggle and be a below-average, well-below-average producer at the plate.”

“I was really, really thin at the end of the season,” Davis said. “I think it was a combination of just physical and mental stress and I just got back to kind of some of the basics.

But there’s pressure on Davis. Including deferred money, Baltimore still owes him $93 million, and he says he wants to earn that money.

I don’t think that’s fair to these guys,” Davis said. “And I don’t think, honestly, it’s fair to our fans, or to anybody that’s associated with Baltimore. But I still think that there is something left in the tank and I think that that’s really a conversation that we’re going to have to have at the end of this season.”

I rest my case

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/02/18/baltimore-orioles-chris-davis-considered-retirement/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-chris-davis-weight-20200217-hfhyr2fqhrdo3bjv77fxwfjxyi-story.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffseidel/2020/02/19/chris-davis-of-orioles-thought-about-retiring-but-will-try-once-more-in-2020/#30e03eef3e18

My mind starts churning in strange ways on hypotheticals.  I want to know what level Davis would have to be dropped to in order to be a productive player.

AA?  I don't think so.  You take a good player in AA and they're still usually not terrible in the majors.  I think he'd struggle to OPS .700 for the Baysox.

Would he be okay in the Atlantic League?  Last year Lew Ford hit .303 with a .768 OPS there, and he was 42.  So maybe. 

I think if he went to Japan he'd still be bad.  Korea... I don't know, but probably still not actually productive.

You could send him to the Mexico City Red Devils, the Diablo Rojos, and he might be adequate.  They're at 7300' in altitude and they score six or seven runs a game.  He could probably OPS .800 there, which might be 12th on the team, but would seem respectable.

He'd probably be a big star in the Pecos League.  The Tuscon team is scoring almost 10 runs a game and the quality of play can't be as good as a decent college league.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My mind starts churning in strange ways on hypotheticals.  I want to know what level Davis would have to be dropped to in order to be a productive player.

AA?  I don't think so.  You take a good player in AA and they're still usually not terrible in the majors.  I think he'd struggle to OPS .700 for the Baysox.

Would he be okay in the Atlantic League?  Last year Lew Ford hit .303 with a .768 OPS there, and he was 42.  So maybe. 

I think if he went to Japan he'd still be bad.  Korea... I don't know, but probably still not actually productive.

You could send him to the Mexico City Red Devils, the Diablo Rojos, and he might be adequate.  They're at 7300' in altitude and they score six or seven runs a game.  He could probably OPS .800 there, which might be 12th on the team, but would seem respectable.

He'd probably be a big star in the Pecos League.  The Tuscon team is scoring almost 10 runs a game and the quality of play can't be as good as a decent college league.

I was thinking Korea but then I though...you know Jones isn't exactly killing it in Japan, Korea is probably too difficult a league for Davis to excel in at this point.

18 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

This has come up multiple times with Davis.   He was done 2 years ago and wouldn't take a buyout.  I don't think he would take one now.  Although in hindsight the O's saved themselves a good chunk of money if they weren't able to get an aggressive buyout (<90%).  

I have never seen it reported or even hinted that Davis was offered a buyout.    I have seen Davis discuss generally whether he’d thought of quitting but I don’t recall even a reporter asking him if he’d be open to a buyout.     If anyone recalls otherwise, please post a link.     

Just now, Frobby said:

I have never seen it reported or even hinted that Davis was offered a buyout.    I have seen Davis discuss generally whether he’d thought of quitting but I don’t recall even a reporter asking him if he’d be open to a buyout.     If anyone recalls otherwise, please post a link.     

I haven't.  Ownership might not even be interested.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was thinking Korea but then I though...you know Jones isn't exactly killing it in Japan, Korea is probably too difficult a league for Davis to excel in at this point.

I'm a little worried about Adam.  He's OPSing under .700 for Orix, but is walking at about twice his normal rate.  That's sometimes a sign of reactions slowing down and just not swinging at stuff because the brain doesn't get there in time.  It's not uncommon to have a late career walk spike just before it's all over.

33 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Beer League Softball where reaction time doesnt matter

• Upvote 1

I still have no idea what his personal motivations are.

At this point, he has to know rationally that a return to his previous form is not in the cards.  

Is he worried about his legacy?  I don't see how.  He's been below replacement value on this contract so far, and his glory days seem like decades ago now.  If this is it, I don't see how playing two more seasons of negative-WAR baseball is going to help his legacy any.

Is it the money?  Again, surely not.  He already has multi-generational wealth for his family... with sound investing, the Davis line will be set for centuries just from what he's already made.   In addition, as others have mentioned, if he decided to call it quits, the Orioles would be very agreeable with a buyout at this point... if the team could save some percentage of the guaranteed money AND free up a roster spot from a negative production player, that would be a victory.  So he wouldn't even be out all of the remaining money.

I just don't get what's driving him.

• Upvote 1