Reading Into 60 Man Player Pool Decisions

luismatos4prez

Roch Kubatko just posted that the 60 man player pool was only at 57 names, and I took a look at who was on it and found some surprises.

SP in the player pool: Kyle Bradish, Chandler Shepherd, Michael Baumann, Bruce Zimmermann, Kevin Smith (as of yesterday)

SP not in the player pool: Zac Lowther, Alex Wells

Both Lowther and Wells are Rule 5 eligible this offseason, so it's a glaring omission. The player pool isn't full and even if it was, the inclusion of Chandler Shepherd over these two guys seems to indicate that Mike isn't high on them.

Also notable is that Rylan Bannon didn't make the player pool. Infielders like Dilson Herrera, Ramon Urias, and now Terrin Vavra all made the squad over him. Bannon is also Rule 5 eligible this winter and hit the ball really well in Bowie and Norfolk. But it doesn't seem like Mike thinks much of him.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not sure I agree with your interpretation.    This may just be a case of the O’s wanting to get an extended first-hand look at players who recently joined the organization.    It’s not necessarily a slap at the guys not on the 60.  

They brought in AAA prospects Michael Baumann, Dean Kremer, and Bruce Zimmermann, AAAA fringe guys Chandler Shepherd and Eric Hanhold. Prospects DL Hall and Greyson Rodriguez. None of those guys are new to the organization and they were all brought in over Lowther and Wells. 

Seems like a glaring omission to me.

9 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

They brought in AAA prospects Michael Baumann, Dean Kremer, and Bruce Zimmermann, AAAA fringe guys Chandler Shepherd and Eric Hanhold. Prospects DL Hall and Greyson Rodriguez. None of those guys are new to the organization and they were all brought in over Lowther and Wells. 

Seems like a glaring omission to me.

Lowther had an oblique strain which probably put him on shut down.  Don't know if Wells had any issues.  The 60 man had mostly players who could help this year and a few prospects that they didn't want to lose an entire year of productivity.  I'm not reading much into it at all.

• Upvote 2

My understanding is that the 40-man roster in the off-season is what matters as far as the Rule-5 eligibility is concerned.  The special 60-man roster for this shortened season has nothing to do with Rule-5 eligibility, as far as I can tell.  I think you are reading something into it that just doesn't apply.

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2020 at 9:45 PM, Frobby said:

Not sure I agree with your interpretation.    This may just be a case of the O’s wanting to get an extended first-hand look at players who recently joined the organization.    It’s not necessarily a slap at the guys not on the 60.  

If I am not mistaken, I think there were a few Covid issues with some prospects as well.