Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

Grandfather Carl's full-season totals (before the big 44 in his Triple Crown season at the age of 27): 11; 19; 14; 15; 20; 16.

Of course, it was a different era with a different ball, but no less valid than placing Mike Yaz in that Giants' pantheon.

Lil Yaz has 31 HR this year between AAA and MLB. He had 61 HR in his entire milb career prior to this. And he’s doing it in Pac Bell ballpark. Haha. 

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lil Yaz has 31 HR this year between AAA and MLB. He had 61 HR in his entire milb career prior to this. And he’s doing it in Pac Bell ballpark. Haha. 

Red Sox must be kicking themselves (in pink stocking-feet of course) for not spotting him. What a fan-fav he would have been. So many promotions, so many stories.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

O'Day made his first appearance of the year last night.  Leading off the 7th, he walked Rendon, and was taken out of the game.  Rendon later scored, so 0 IP, 1 ER for O'Day.

We shoulda got more for KG, who is proving himself to be - oh wait, we got his LSU teammate Eades for nothing.  Never mind!  ?  Geaux O's!

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2019 at 8:15 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

You can't do queries of minor league numbers of bb-ref, so some MLB players who had 30+ homer seasons after never hitting more than 15 in a season through age 27:

Luis Gonzalez
Brady Anderson
Jackie Jensen (moved from Griffith Stadium - 402' left, to Fenway at 27)
Jay Bell (actually had 16 at age 25, but he was close)
Bret Boone

Joe Morgan was close - never had more than 15 with the Astros, then mid-20s multiple times with the Reds.  But the Astrodome was a canyon.

Basically some guys from the 1990-2005 era, and a few players who moved from terrible HR parks to good ones.

Yaz is already in the top 20 homer seasons of all time by old (27+) rookies.  That list is about 75% players who were stuck in Cuba, Japan, the Negro Leagues, or the old independent high minors prior to the draft era. Plus a few players like Josh Willingham, Christian Walker, Justin Bour, Garrett Jones, Brian Daubach.  As far as I can tell everyone except Yaz on the list had a history of hitting for power wherever they were prior to their rookie breakout.

28 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You can't do queries of minor league numbers of bb-ref, so some MLB players who had 30+ homer seasons after never hitting more than 15 in a season through age 27:

Luis Gonzalez
Brady Anderson
Jackie Jensen (moved from Griffith Stadium - 402' left, to Fenway at 27)
Jay Bell (actually had 16 at age 25, but he was close)
Bret Boone

Joe Morgan was close - never had more than 15 with the Astros, then mid-20s multiple times with the Reds.  But the Astrodome was a canyon.

Basically some guys from the 1990-2005 era, and a few players who moved from terrible HR parks to good ones.

Yaz is already in the top 20 homer seasons of all time by old (27+) rookies.  That list is about 75% players who were stuck in Cuba, Japan, the Negro Leagues, or the old independent high minors prior to the draft era. Plus a few players like Josh Willingham, Christian Walker, Justin Bour, Garrett Jones, Brian Daubach.  As far as I can tell everyone except Yaz on the list had a history of hitting for power wherever they were prior to their rookie breakout.

I still firmly believe part of the issue the last few seasons was injuries and this season, he is healthy and taking advantage of it.

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I still firmly believe part of the issue the last few seasons was injuries and this season, he is healthy and taking advantage of it.

Some Scouts were never sold on Liltle Yaz being anything more than a 4th COF on a deep team, if that, including Tony-OH.

I said at the time, that watching him at Bowie, to my unprofessional eye, he stood head and toes above the others. Not so much, by looking at his metrics. But, by watching how, he ran out his hits, how he ran to the fly in the outfield, taking extra bases when the COF wasnt hustling.

Little Yaz, seamed to have impecable baseball smarts and looked like he was taught the correct way to play the game.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Orioles need to be kicking themselves, for not recognizing the talent they had here.

You don't kick yourself for not recognizing wildly out of character things that might happen in the future.  Did the Red Sox kick themselves for missing out on Brady's 50 homer season?  Do the Orioles kick themselves for not recognizing that Jose Bautista would go crazy six years after he was a Rule 5er?  

Last year Yastrzemski spent a month OPSing .603 in AA at the age of 27.  The Giants picked him up because they were all out of outfielders so why not?  Just as the O's did with Dwight Smith Jr.  Nobody had a crystal ball, I doubt anyone saw the year of the superball coming.

You can't give infinite chances to every Drew Dosch and Mike Yastrzemski on the very remote chance that they're going to go all Brady Anderson on you.

• Upvote 1

Let's be happy for Mike that he is having a solid year. Who knows if he'll do it again. I would have liked to have seen the O's give him a chance with the big club but it didn't work out. I keep checking back on this thread for information on guys we purged but, it has been hijacked by little Yaz and lots of people just repeating themselves. This thread was about guys we purged at the deadline last year. It's way off track now. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

How about Melvin Mora?

Never had more than 8 homers in a season in the Majors or minors until he turned 30 and then got 19. At 32 & 33 he hit 27 each year. It could even happen with the Orioles. Guess the Mets were sad about that.

I think the fertility treatments that led to the sextuplets may have had some unintended positive side effects.  Just speculating.

• Upvote 1