Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Completely missing the point.  Dismissed as a "league average hitter" which he could very well be, but that's something the Orioles are sorely lacking.  TEAM OPS+ 85

Which corner OF on our roster is Yaz better than? I agree he would be an upgrade over Davis, Richie, and Rio.

• Upvote 1

Good for Yaz. I wish him well. Significant injuries cost him in Baltimore. I think he was a better player than Rickard, offensively and defensively. I don’t think he’s the hitter that Dwight Smith Jr. has been, but Yaz is a better defender.

He probably should have gotten an opportunity at some point last year. 40 man spots were a bit scarce due to the pitching woes, but they should have found a way. Good to see him doing well, but then Yaz won’t be facing the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays 57 games a season. The AL East is a different arena than the NL West. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Who are you going to cut so that the 28-year-old corner OF with the .780 minor league OPS could play?  26-year-old Dwight Smith? 

Joey Rickard, 28 year old, career minor league OPS .783, but we gave him 118 ABs this year.   End result was the same.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=rickar000joe

Feel like we're having the OH equivalent of the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch

"He's a league average hitter."

League average?  So lucky.  He'd be Babe Ruth on this team.  We're paying $23M a year for a first baseman who can't hit his way out of a wet cardboard box.

"$23M?  Who would've thought 30 years ago we'd have a $23M man on the payroll?  That's about what TB paid for their entire payroll in 2018."

2 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

If ever there was a textbook example  of SECOND GUESSING, this is it.  Must be a slow day on the board.  Oh, late game. 

I don’t think the concerns that are being raised are purely hindsight. Everybody makes mistakes, and we’re not even sure that this was a mistake. Maybe it wasn’t.. But we have reason to be concerned if this reflects a lack of Talent recognition. Because we don’t want to let somebody go unless were sure that he’s nothing.

I strongly feel Mike should’ve been brought up last September, but the people who declined to do so are gone,  and releasing him, or releasing anybody, is always a calculated risk. If he’s hitting this well after 600 at bats instead of only 90, maybe we can look at our process to see what we did wrong. Until then, wish him well,  let’s find something more pertinent to argue about. 

We already determined that the best beetle was Paul, So I’m welcome to suggestions…

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t think the concerns that are being raised are purely hindsight. Everybody makes mistakes, and we’re not even sure that this was a mistake. Maybe it wasn’t.. But we have reason to be concerned if this reflects a lack of Talent recognition. Because we don’t want to let somebody go unless were sure that he’s nothing.

I strongly feel Mike should’ve been brought up last September, but the people who declined to do so are gone,  and releasing him, or releasing anybody, is always a calculated risk. If he’s hitting this well after 600 at bats instead of only 90, maybe we can look at our process to see what we did wrong. Until then, wish him well,  let’s find something more pertinent to argue about. 

We already determined that the best beetle was Paul, So I’m welcome to suggestions…

I'm partial to:

Nightwish-beetle.png?auto=compress&fit=c

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Joey Rickard, 28 year old, career minor league OPS .783, but we gave him 118 ABs this year.   End result was the same.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=rickar000joe

Feel like we're having the OH equivalent of the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch

"He's a league average hitter."

League average?  So lucky.  He'd be Babe Ruth on this team.  We're paying $23M a year for a first baseman who can't hit his way out of a wet cardboard box.

"$23M?  Who would've thought 30 years ago we'd have a $23M man on the payroll?  That's about what TB paid for their entire payroll in 2018."

Sure, why not, let's rearrange the deck chairs and give little Yaz his major league shot. We'll cut a .780 AAA OPS guy and call up another because why not.

Britt got the Manny interview. If you have a subscription to the Athletic, it’s worth your time. Manny reflects on the emotions of returning to Baltimore and the lack of love he felt from management because they didn’t talk to him about an extension after they said they’d call. Manny also says that it was a common theme with the organization because Nick and Adam also wanted to stay. He also indicates that he thought they could’ve let him know he was going to be moving across the country to LA rather than letting him be in limbo. For example, Manny said the following:

“There was a lot of situations (in the past) where we reached out, and we wanted to stay there, and they kept saying, ‘Hey, yeah, we’re going to call you back. And we’re going to talk.’ And we’re still waiting for that call. That just sums up the whole summary of why I said that (to SI). It had nothing to do with the fans. I loved the fans. It was unbelievable playing in front of those guys every single night and day. They were always there cheering us on. Whether we were sucking or balling out, it didn’t matter; they supported us through everything.”

https://theathletic.com/1042595/2019/06/23/baltimore-will-always-have-a-piece-of-my-heart-on-eve-of-his-return-to-charm-city-manny-machado-reflects/