Playoffs are set

SteveA

17 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

What’s wrong with the Braves?  It’d be cool to see Markakis get a ring. 

And I’d still rather see the Astros win than the Yankees. 

I literally told you :P

I only really don't want the Yankees to win.

I want to know what PTBNL from Braves and Astros and assume we'll find out sooner if those teams lose. 

Otherwise, it doesn't really matter to me.

o

GAME TWO )))))) (First Round)

FLORIDA MARLINS

McKenzie Corey Dickerson - LF

Jonathon David "J.D." Berti - 2B

Jesus Aguilar - DH

Brian Wade "B.W." Anderson - 3B

Garrett Cooper - 1B

Matthew Joyce - RF

Miguel Rojas - SS

Magneuris Sierra - CF

Chad Wallach - C

Sixto Sanchez Encarnacion - RHP )) (3-2, 3.46 ERA)

CHICAGO CUBS

Ian Happ - CF

Anthony Rizzo - 1B

Willson Contreras - DH

Kyle Joseph "K.J." Schwarber - LF

Kristopher Bryant - 3B

Jason Heyward - RF

Ednel Javier Baez - SS

David Bote - 2B

Victor Caratini - C

ダルビッシュ 有 (Farid Yu Darvishsefat) - RHP )) (8-3, 2.01 ERA) ) *

* )) Led the Major League in Wins (8), and Led the National League in FIP (2.23)

https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups

o

Now come the dramatic hours in which we see if any Padres pitcher is injured, which I think could give MacKenzie Gore a shot at the roster tonight.   Garrett Richards has pitched on back to back days for goodness sake; surely his biceps is tendinitis-ing or something.

Luis Patino as likely bulk guy not too bad in its own right.

o

The 7th and deci ...... I mean, the 5th and deci ...... I mean, the 3rd and deciding game of the series.

GAME THREE )))))) (First Round)

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

Kolten Wong - 2B

Thomas Edman - 3B

Philip Goldschmidt - 1B

Dylan James "D.J." Carlson - LF

Yadier Molina - C

Paul DeJong - SS

Matthew Martin Lee Carpenter - DH

William Dexter "W.D." Fowler - RF

Harrison Bader - CF

Jack Rafe Flaherty - RHP )) (4-3, 4.91 ERA)

SAN DIEGO PADRES

Trenton Grisham - CF

Fernando Gabriel Tatis Medina - SS

Manuel Machado - 3B

Eric John "E.J." Hosmer - 1B

Thomas James "T.J." Pham - LF

Mitchell Moreland - DH

William Myers - RF

Austin Nola - C 

Jacob John "J.J." Cronenworth - 2B 

Craig Nicholas Stammen - RHP )) (4-2, 5.63 ERA)

o

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Rough night for the Cardinals.  They get eliminates in the first 9 pitcher shutout in MLB history, and Bob Gibson passes away at 84.

Not too long after Lou Brock.. 

I learned just now Bob Gibson was a Harlem Globetrotter for a year.

In happier news, imagine former Fangraphs writer/current Padres analyst Dave Cameron's house euphoric today - he basically got to see this manifest IRL tonight.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/play-in-game-strategy-skip-the-starter/

• Upvote 1

I'm wondering about audio for the Division Series.

With no fans in the stands, it pretty quickly became universal practice for each team to generate its own stadium audio for home games.  There would be an ongoing crowd noise buzz, with the audio man turning the appropriate dials to bring the noise up every time the home team did something good.  The audio man would also generate special effects noises.  For example, at Camden Yards we would hear the Orioles' bugle "Charge" call that they've been using since Memorial Stadium days, or the siren that would sound when an Oriole hit a home run.

The same practice was followed during the Wild Card series, all of which were played in the home park of the higher-seeded team.

But the Division Series games will all be played at neutral sites.

Will the audio man at the neutral stadiums be instructed to bring the noise up when the team designated as the home team for that game does something good?  Will he bring the noise up when either team scores, regardless of whether it's the home team or the visiting team?  Will he be instructed to be completely neutral and just play a steady crowd buzz, no matter what happens on the field?

Or will they import the audio man from each team's home stadium for those games when his team is the designated home team?  For example, would the Rays' audio man sit in the Petco Park audio booth and do his thing for games 1, 2, and 5, while the Yankees' audio man would take over for games 3 and 4?

I hope it's not the latter.  I have no desire, for the rest of this year, to hear that infernal whistle the Yankees sound every time one of their pitchers strikes someone out.

Edited by WillyM
corrected error

o

I think that it would have been more efficient to have 3 division winners and 5 Wild-cards ...... they essentially treated all 2nd-place teams like division winners. I can understand a team getting a number 3 seed if they only had the 4th or 5th best record, based on them winning the division. But the way that they arranged things for this post-season, a 2nd-place team with a losing record (the Astros, at 29-31) was seeded higher than a team like the White Sox, whose overall record was 35-25. The Blue Jays also got screwed, to a lesser degree. With a 32-28 record, I think that they should have been seeded higher than the Astros also, whose 29-31 record trumped them in the seedings based on their 2nd-place finish.

The White Sox lost to the Athletics, and I suspect that they may have lost their first-round series anyway. I also think that the Blue Jays likely would have lost their 1st-round mini-series had they been seeded higher than the Astros ...... but I don't see a good enough reason to essentially treat all 2nd-place teams as though they were 1st-place teams in terms of getting locked into a 4, 5, or 6 seed. I think that it's plenty enough that the division winners got/get locked into the top 3 seeds based on winning that (division) title.

All of that said, I'm glad that next season will probably wind up being played in full (or at least close to full, with a minimum of 140 or 150 games being played by everyone), which would probably have the post-season reverting back to its usual format ...... 3 division winners going directly to the LDS, plus 2 Wild-card teams in a one-game playoff with each other.

o

o

GAME ONE )))))) (A.L.D.S.)

HOUSTON ASTROS

George Cheslton Springer III - CF

Jose Altuve - 2B

Michael Charles Brantley, Jr. - LF

Alexander David "A.D." Bregman - 3B

Kyle Tucker - RF

Carlos Javier Correa Oppenheimer - SS

Yulieski Gurriel Castillo - 1B

William Joshus Reddick - DH

Martin Benjamin Maldonado Valdes - C

Lance Graye McCullers, Jr. - RHP )) (3-3, 3.93 ERA)

OAKLAND A THLETICS

Thomas La Stella - 2B

Marcus Semien - SS

Jacob Ryan "J.R." Lamb - 3B

Mark Canha - RF

Matthew Olson - 1B

Khristopher Davis - DH

Robert Grossman - LF

Ramon Laureano - CF

Sean Murphy - C

Christopher M. Bassitt - RHP )) (5-2, 2.29 ERA)

o

Rays-Yanks Game 1 impressions.

-I didn't get the Rays warming then bypassing Anderson TWICE down 1.  I guess it is cat and mouse do you want to burn pitches, but twice up and no use does anything bleed away?  Is he now first fireman even in very early innings tomorrow?

-On automated strike zone, that Cole crossup of Higashioka for a "ball" was fun.  I think the pitch ended up in the heart of the zone.

-The Cole lifetime bullet supply - glad to see a full night and the game close his whole time in as he worked ye olde baseline quality start.  Now please let's get to Friday and take this NCAA-ish Monday night pitcher thing out of play.  I wouldn't argue with Rays up 2-1 Thursday, but the Yanks have given Deivi Garcia house money to play with tomorrow.

-I guess the Rays are telling us they are pretty pumped about Randy Arozarena.

-The McClanahan debut bullet - had him listed as a Baltimore birth, didn't know that detail

-Nor did I know Phil Nevin Yankees 3B coach.  If he's still there if/when Tyler assumes the Renato HR/RBI chair, one of those deep foul to 1st sac fly plays could be fun.

-I was curious to see how TTOP dogmatic the Rays would be with Snell in a 1-run game before Batter Faced 18 Higashioka really splashed the pool.  Then Judge got his 3rd look anyway as Castillo looked on.  I like the no off days adding a little spice to the calculations.

o

A battle between 2 National League East teams ........

GAME ONE )))))) (N.L.D.S.)

FLORIDA MARLINS

Jonathon David "J.D." Berti - 2B

Jesus Aguilar - DH

Garrett Cooper - 1B

Brian Wade "B.W." Anderson - 3B

Miguel Elias Rojas Naidernoff - SS

McKenzie Corey "M.C." Dickerson - LF

Lewis Lamont "L.L." Brinson - RF

Chad Wallach - C

Magneuris Sierra - CF

Sandy Alcantara Montero - RHP )) (3-2, 3.00 ERA)

ATLANTA BRAVES

Ronald Jose Acuna Blanco, Jr. - CF

Frederick Freeman - 1B

Marcell Ozuna Idelfonso - DH

Travis d'Arnaud - C

Ozhaino Jurdy Jiandro Albies - 2B

James Dansby "J.D." Swanson - SS

Adam Duvall - LF

Nicholas Markakis - RF

Michael Austin Riley - 3B

Max Dorian Fried - LHP )) (7-0, 2.25 ERA) ) *

* )) Led the Major League in Winning Percentage (1.000)

o

On 10/2/2020 at 4:15 PM, OFFNY said:

o

GAME THREE )))))) (First Round)

SAN DIEGO PADRES

o

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

ATLANTA BRAVES

Max Dorian Fried - LHP )) (7-0, 2.25 ERA) ) *

* )) Led the Major League in Winning Percentage (1.000)

o

o

This article was written in April of 2019 ........ it's possible that these 2 teams could wind up meeting in this season's NLCS.

The Padres Might Wish that They Held On to Max Fried

(By Luis Torres)

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2019/4/23/18511273/max-fried-braves-padres-reverse-splits-paxton-paddack

o