Tony La Russa...?

Moose Milligan

It might be fun watching him lose his mind every time his coaches remind him of the three batter rule. 

I'm sure at 76 with a long history of doing his own thing he's well versed in the latest analytics.  And completely rejects 80% of them.

I'm always good with Oriole opponents making decisions less on logic and sense and more on nostalgia.

As for his pioneering work in using 14 pitchers per four-hour game, the three batter rule mostly takes care of that, and I turn off the game by 10:00 anyway.

Joe Altobelli was 51 when the Orioles won the 1983 Series.  I always assumed he was about 68 then.  He looked like he could be someone's grandpa, which I guess you can be at 51.  My grandparents were all in their 40s or early 50s when I was born.  For whatever reason I think of grandpas as being around 70. So I was surprised today when I looked up Altobelli and found he's still alive.

I'm not being vain or bragging here, I'm nothing great to look at, but I think I look at least 10, maybe 15 or more years younger than Joe Altobelli did in '83, and I'm 49.  I know this is a weird aside, maybe because I just saw that meme where Paul Rudd is now about the same age as Wilfred Brimley was when they filmed The Natural and Cocoon.  Maybe @Frobby can help us out here... is 50 the age where people diverge?  Some look the same as they did at 30, some look like they're 80?

I always thought Cal Sr. looked 78 when he was 43.

Re-reading this post it sounds like a rambling, kind of nonsensical Grandpa Simpson rant, which is a reference that only the olds would make, so maybe I'm really 70.  @#$^ kids!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Joe Altobelli was 51 years-old when the Orioles won the 1983 World Series. I always assumed that he was about 68 then. He looked like he could be someone's grandpa, which I guess you can be at 51.

o

39 year-old Sparky Anderson, managing the 1973 NL East champion Cincinnati Reds.

SPARKY-ANDERSON-1973-CINCINNATI-REDS-8X10-PHOTO

o

He looked like he could be someone's grandpawhich I guess you can be at 51.

o

When I was in 7th grade in June of 1978, my beloved Bullets were playing the Seattle SuperSonics in the NBA Finals. Brent Musberger was interviewing the NBA's first-ever active grandfather at halftime of one the games ........ Paul Silas, at 34 years-old, was indeed a grandfather that was still an active NBA player for the SuperSonics.

Wes Unseld (43) guards Paul Silas during a 1978 Bullets-Sonics game.... |  Nba stars, American sports, Nba champions

o

5 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

When I was in 7th grade in June of 1978, my beloved Bullets were playing the Seattle SuperSonics in the NBA Finals. Brent Musberger was interviewing the NBA's first-ever active grandfather at halftime of one the games ........ Paul Silas, at 34 years-old, was indeed a grandfather that was still an active NBA player for the SuperSonics.

Wes Unseld (43) guards Paul Silas during a 1978 Bullets-Sonics game.... |  Nba stars, American sports, Nba champions

o

I have relation by marriage who was a grandmother at 37 and her mom a great-grandma at maybe 54.  But in my mind I still see grandparents as being about 70 and great-grandparents 80 or 90.

Probably in part because I didn't have my first kid until 35.

We need to get back to the important part here, that I look decades younger than Joe Altobelli, Cal Sr, or Wilfred Brimley at a comparable age. I could totally pass for, like, 37.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Joe Altobelli was 51 when the Orioles won the 1983 Series.  I always assumed he was about 68 then.  He looked like he could be someone's grandpa, which I guess you can be at 51.  My grandparents were all in their 40s or early 50s when I was born.  For whatever reason I think of grandpas as being around 70. So I was surprised today when I looked up Altobelli and found he's still alive.

I'm not being vain or bragging here, I'm nothing great to look at, but I think I look at least 10, maybe 15 or more years younger than Joe Altobelli did in '83, and I'm 49.  I know this is a weird aside, maybe because I just saw that meme where Paul Rudd is now about the same age as Wilfred Brimley was when they filmed The Natural and Cocoon.  Maybe @Frobby can help us out here... is 50 the age where people diverge?  Some look the same as they did at 30, some look like they're 80?

Hmmm, why would you be asking me that, you young whippersnapper?

I am forever watching people on TV who I assume are older than me, only to find out they’re 5/10 years younger.   That’s not because I look young, it’s because I don’t really stop to notice how old I look.   And when I do, it’s depressing.  But at least I have kind eyes.    

• Upvote 2

I have relation by marriage who was a grandmother at 37 and her mom a great-grandma at maybe 54.  But in my mind I still see grandparents as being about 70 and great-grandparents 80 or 90.

All this danged "civilization" these last 100-odd generations - we're the outliers.  I became a dad at 42; I like to say in caveman terms I'm his grandpa.

Sparky was 36 when he took over the '70 Reds, and under-ed Age 39 Earl in the WS matchup (cheating for Earl's seasonal age, he hit 40 in August 1970).

Nick is a month shy of 37, trying to get there tonight.

Too bad for Buck White Sox ownership seems to have a bee in their bonnet, though out auditioning Hinch, Cora, etc would be tough even if La Russa doesn't work out.  I don't imagine those guys are gonna be Black Sox or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 11:55 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I always thought Cal Sr. looked 78 when he was 43.

Re-reading this post it sounds like a rambling, kind of nonsensical Grandpa Simpson rant, which is a reference that only the olds would make, so maybe I'm really 70.  @#$^ kids!

Kids who watched the Simpsons when it was at its peak of popularity have kids of their own now.

When I went to my 25th HS reunion, which was age 43, I was amazed at how the women still mostly looked young and almost exactly the same as they did in high school, with just a few exceptions.  The men, myself included, had all put on weight and looked a lot different.   I was much more likely to need a name tag to let me know who a guy was than a girl.

Not much change at all by the 30th (48 years old).

At the 35th (53) the women started really showing their age and suddenly I needed name tags for the women too.  And for the first time, in both sexes, I saw people who "looked like grandparents" to me.   Not the majority, but certainly a decent number.  (And of course some of them actually ARE grandparents).