Schoenfeld on who O’s could sign this offseason

Sports Guy

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ahh the old sign him to flip him at the deadline.

The track record of that move isn't exactly stellar.

I agree that if the O's sign anyone it's going to be an injury risk pitcher to a one year deal.

This is the part where we sign some scrap heap guy and people here think that other teams will happily overlook their previous crappy 4 seasons for the half decent season he's had here and we can get a top 10 prospect from an unsuspecting, desperate organization.

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is the part where we sign some scrap heap guy and people here think that other teams will happily overlook their previous crappy 4 seasons for the half decent season he's had here and we can get a top 10 prospect from an unsuspecting, desperate organization.

Well, they did get two of the Braves top 50 farmhands for like a week of Tommy Milone. 

Milone might be their Keith Moreland.  Deadline deal for the stretch run, shore up the rotation... 24 baserunners and 16 runs in 9.2 innings.

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why?   We have Valdez, Scott, Tate, Armstrong, Fry, Harvey, Lakins, etc.   I'd much rather see Zimmerman, Pop, Mattson, maybe a Rule 5 guy, get auditions than bring in some veteran who is probably available on the cheap because he's on the downside.

Well I wouldn’t sign someone on the downside..and because I think it’s valuable to have that vet arm there.

I have zero confidence in Valdez or Lakins and I’m not sure any of those BP guys will be ready until AS break-ish time anyway.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You mean we can’t?

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Name names!

There are several potential guys.  

A guy like Justin Wilson is possible.  Good peripherals. Throws a lot of strikes, misses bats, lots of Ks and doesn’t give up a lot of homers.  Does well vs righties and lefties.

He probably won’t cost a ton either.

There are other examples and with teams being cheap this year, you may be able to pick up guys in trades for very little as well.

I really like our pen..but give me one more reliable vet arm.  

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

While I agree that this tactic is often overrated / overblown in OH discussions, it’s not completely without merit as a concept. A roster spot is more valuable on a contending team. Higher bar for expected contribution for someone to make it. A team like the Orioles is more able to sign a guy with injury or uneven performance concerns who could be +3 WAR or -3 WAR over a full season. If he plays well, that’s information discovery that improves value at mid season. If he plays poorly, it doesn’t harm a rebuilding team as much as it does an aspiring contender. 

• Upvote 2

The question is how wisely our our scrapheap guys chosen. Giving Pedro Álvarez $6 million was not wise. There were so many other guys that were expensive blips on the radar that I don’t remember any of them. How much did Freddie Gonzalez(?)get to make two starts for us? I think it was in 2016, and he was given a lot of money to be horrible for us for a couple weeks.
Inexpensive risks are both wise and necessary, and the guys we signed last off-season were good choices. 

Collin McHugh isn’t the only possibility but he’d be a good choice.

edit: Freddie Garcia, I think.

Edited by Philip