What to do at SS?

Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Would that be different than having Iglesias there?  (and no I'm not endorsing the move)

Was there anything from alternate camp about Martin?  His rule V year his D wasn't great, but he got higher marks when picked.  I would guess he gets at least some time at SS this year after the trade of Iglesias and it would be good to know if there was some progress seen.

He was injured.  Not at Bowie in 2020.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, I don't think this team is ever competing again.  It'll be interesting to see if they can figure it out though, but I don't think they can.  I'm really here hoping Angelos sells sometime, then I'll have a bit more hope.

Nunez, has not shown over a larger SS that he can basically be an OPS guy.  He's never OPS'd .800 for a full season.  If you're going to round up .771 and .781 to "basically .800" (as I know you will) then fine.

I'm taking the Valaika position here not because I think it's a good one, but because it's obviously getting under your skin and I'm bored.  Again, the roster is full of go-nowhere players, fringe prospects and quad-A guys.  If Elias can't produce a significantly better player to start every day at SS for this season, I certainly don't care which mix of go-nowhere guys is out there, so long as there's a plan in place to get a long term solution. 

I don't really care if one go-nowhere player is 28 and one is 23, especially if that 28 year old hasn't been given consistent at bats throughout his career when we can all agree that getting consistent at bats is paramount to a players development.  Give the 28 year old half a season to see what he can do, if he's not producing it's not like the 23 year old has gone anywhere.

For the record, if Valaika is traded or cut tomorrow, I'm not whining about it. 

Yea, it’s very apparent your purpose here is to annoy people.  We all understand that.  That hasn’t changed in 15 years.  :)

I don’t know what Nunez’s OPS has been the last few years (don’t feel like figuring it out) but it was 816 in about 200 at bats in 2020 and 771 in 540 at bats in 2019.  When you take those together, he’s close to 800.

But yea, you are right..he hasn’t been an 800 OPS guy over a full season yet..he’s very close though and far better than Valaika, which still means the comparison and use of it is wrong.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, I don't think this team is ever competing again.  It'll be interesting to see if they can figure it out though, but I don't think they can.  I'm really here hoping Angelos sells sometime, then I'll have a bit more hope.

Nunez, has not shown over a larger SS that he can basically be an OPS guy.  He's never OPS'd .800 for a full season.  If you're going to round up .771 and .781 to "basically .800" (as I know you will) then fine.

I'm taking the Valaika position here not because I think it's a good one, but because it's obviously getting under your skin and I'm bored.  Again, the roster is full of go-nowhere players, fringe prospects and quad-A guys.  If Elias can't produce a significantly better player to start every day at SS for this season, I certainly don't care which mix of go-nowhere guys is out there, so long as there's a plan in place to get a long term solution. 

I don't really care if one go-nowhere player is 28 and one is 23, especially if that 28 year old hasn't been given consistent at bats throughout his career when we can all agree that getting consistent at bats is paramount to a players development.  Give the 28 year old half a season to see what he can do, if he's not producing it's not like the 23 year old has gone anywhere.

For the record, if Valaika is traded or cut tomorrow, I'm not whining about it. 

The funny thing is that for all the junk Valaika takes on this board he is re-signed.  Iglesias and Alberto are moved.  Sounds like Alberto is moved because he wants more money than Elias thinks he is worth.   But there is Valaika on the 26 man roster.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, it’s very apparent your purpose here is to annoy people.  We all understand that.  That hasn’t changed in 15 years.  :)

I don’t know what Nunez’s OPS has been the last few years (don’t feel like figuring it out) but it was 816 in about 200 at bats in 2020 and 771 in 540 at bats in 2019.  When you take those together, he’s close to 800.

But yea, you are right..he hasn’t been an 800 OPS guy over a full season yet..he’s very close though and far better than Valaika, which still means the comparison and use of it is wrong.

Thanks, SG!  Love your warmth and compassion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The funny thing is that for all the junk Valaika takes on this board he is re-signed.  Iglesias and Alberto are moved.  Sounds like Alberto is moved because he wants more money than Elias thinks he is worth.   But there is Valaika on the 26 man roster.

I don't think the sign of Valaika being on the roster is a ringing endorsement that he's a better player than Iglesias and Alberto.  He's not.  

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe that means Elias values SSS as much as you do!!!

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It’s all about the money.  You think Elias wouldn’t trade Valaika if he could? 

Just now, eddie83 said:

It’s all about the money.  You think Elias wouldn’t trade Valaika if he could? 

And that contract also means there’s no guarantee he’s even on the ML roster.

I like that Armstrong deal.  Hope he can stay healthy in 2021.  I think he could be a very good 4th/5th option out of the pen.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

FYI .... Valaika OPS was .791 this season. Its also the second highest at bats he's been given in any of his 5 seasons in the majors. In 2017, he OPS'd 817 in 195 ABs ...so I don't know that Nunez is any better. Valaika did struggle in 2018 and they gave up on him after 130 Abs spread over about 60 games.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

FYI .... Valaika OPS was .791 this season. Its also the second highest at bats he's been given in any of his 5 seasons in the majors. In 2017, he OPS'd 817 in 195 ABs ...so I don't know that Nunez is any better. Valaika did struggle in 2018 and they gave up on him after 130 Abs spread over about 60 games.

Small sample size.  And Coors, in 2017.  

• Upvote 1

I really don't care how the SS hits. I want a plus (if not plus, plus) defender at SS to help our young pitchers. I was really looking forward to Iggy and SS and Sanchez at 2B. I am okay with the trade because it's the right long-term move. But I want great defense up the middle.