Swing Decisions, Monthly

Just Regular

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

He’s swinging at a lot of pitches that are not even close right now. I agree that he was shafted last year on called strikes though.

The swinging strikeout on the 0-2 pitch from Luis Gil at his eyeballs was pretty conspicuous last night about an hour after checking these numbers and not having realized day to day how aggressive he has gotten while hitting .320.

In contrast to the Adam/Manny led teams, I feel a lot more confidence in this lineup's ability to adapt as the year goes along.    Across the 2012-2016 postseasons, BAL hit 209/261/303 for a 56 wRC+, third worst of the 21 Clubs earning tournament appearances in that era.

Jeff Passan's story this morning lamenting the April UmpShow had a detail Gunnar's punched out looking 4 times on missed calls - that's about 10% of his strikeouts YTD.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

May 2024 - BAL ranked 21st MLB-wide, as the offensive strategy Do Damage was sticky - O'Hearn in particular shifted to attacking more in May.     Jorge Mateo 3rd on a mostly mature Sigbot offense isn't something i would have guessed would happen.

Player, and April-May percentile among MLB bats, May 60 PA minimum, in Chase Rate (parens APR-MAY percentile results):

Gunnar 93       (72, 93)

Cowser 92     (84, 92)

Mateo 58       (xx, 58)         Mateo gained larger role in May with Holliday flopping early

O'Hearn 51     (92, 51)

Adley 39      (24, 39)          I'll guess he'll be +15 or more again in June

Mullins 32      (53, 32)        We'll see this month if it noses up, or a more significant role change will occur

Westburg 30  (36, 30)

Santander 14     (7, 14)

Mountcastle 12   (10, 12)

Westburg feels Mountcastle-Santander similar what you see is what you get at this aspect of performance.

May's 104 wRC+ was 12th MLB-wide as Judge led the Yankees establishing themselves as the league's top lineup, even in Stars and Scrubs mode.     We'll see this summer how tough they make it for Burnes, Bradish and Grayson in the bottom half of the lineup.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

June 2024 - BAL ranked 21st MLB-wide, as the team's offensive identity as crushers pretty firmly established by now.    

Player, and April-May-June percentile among qualified MLB bats in Chase Rate (parens APR-MAY-JUN percentile results):

Gunnar 92       (72, 93, 92)

O'Hearn 66     (92, 51, 66)

Adley 58         (24, 39, 58)          

Westburg 36   (36, 30, 36)

Santander 27   (7, 14, 27)

Mountcastle 19  (10, 12, 19)

June's 139 wRC+ was 2nd MLB-wide with only the Twins within 10 points in the American League.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Well, he can talk to Mandrews for some tips.
    • I just logged in and was thinking about Miller as a starter for next season, and whether he would make as much sense as Skubal does... and here you've starting a thread about the same thing.  LOL It's hard to say what it would take to get Miller, but having him an additional five seasons would be incredible.  I'd think the packages would be somewhat similar in value, but that's just a guess.
    • That’s actually really exciting cherry on top for this draft. I believe you can give 125K before it counts towards your pool.
    • Point taken, maybe on value w/r/t the draft. But Johnson isn’t in the same stratosphere as Holiday with what he has done so far in pro ball.
    • Most interesting player behind Honeycutt to me. The first 5 picks will be very interesting to see how much they are able to save. 
    • Just some observations and reflections on this year's draft and the strategy in general... In one thread I defended the emphasis on position players in high rounds, disparaging pitchers as "cannon fodder." Seeing all the pitchers taken in the lower rounds amplifies this take. To expand the analogy to a military "draft," to me this year's draft class especially looks like staffing the officers corps from the best recruits, the higher rounds. Then fill out the ranks of cannon fodder (perishable pitchers) in quantity from the lower rounds.  A post by Frobby in a thread on closers amplifies this point. How many top closers are effective for more than a few years? Same with top starting pitchers. Contrast the longer careers at the top of their game for position players. At the other end of the scale, look how many bullpens are revolving doors of low draft picks, waiver claims, reclamation projects. Sorry for not substantiating all this with researched stats: it's an impression, over many years.  Zoom in to what it's like to throw an unproven reliever out there. He might be lights out, for a few innings, a few outings or a season or two. Great! Rinse and repeat. Hello, Albert Suarez. Goodbye, Fuji. A hitter (and fielder) needs many more repetitions to get a good read on their ability (see: Jim Traber, Jackson Holliday).  So to me this year's draft is an optimum strategy overall (even tho they claim every pick is BPA). Take your few surer things first, the position guys to rely on. Then have lots of "maybe" arms in reserve, because you'll need them, to burn quantity and see what wants to stick when the time comes.
  • Popular Contributors