We are the 8th booziest Franchise

Sports Guy

There's no way Baltimore is behind Atlanta in this one stat.  Granted, I've only been to a couple Braves games, but I'd guess the average O's and Ravens fan drinks at least twice the volume of beer that Braves and Falcons fans drink.    

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Johnson isn't on the 40 man roster so a promotion would involve some juggling there. Also, while his .920 OPS looks impressive please keep in mind that Ryan McKenna's career OPS at Norfolk was .915. I liked the energy Johnson brought to his game during Spring Training, reminded me a lot of Gunnar's attitude. While I'm not sure he'd be any more valuable on paper than McKenna was, I'm certainly willing to give chances to guys that play the game balls to the wall like he did. 
    • I doubt there is anything in the Union contract preventing MLB from using an electronic strike zone. So long as no umpires are let go or reduced in pay they would have no cause for a grievance or work stoppage. The issue for them would simply be the blow to their ego as they would lose influence over the games that they're used to having. Boo hoo.  IMO the critical reason for MLB to establish an electronic strike zone would be to eliminate the chances of a gambling scandal involving a home plate umpire going rogue in order to change the outcome of the game. I doubt a Black Sox like conspiracy could occur these days simply because players make so much money that it wouldn't make sense for a group of them to throw a game. But a single corrupt umpire calling balls and strikes in a big game could have an enormous influence on the final score. Ask the '97 Braves. Robo-umps would do away with such a possibility forever. 
    • I didn't want to say it, but since your brought it up.....I agree.   I have been involved in the fitness industry as both a person who has worked out with heavy weights for years, a company level as I used to own a supplement company, and a social media level as I know many of the social influencers involved in the fitness industry.   I can tell you that squatting that amount and even further dead lifting that amount, even for a fervent power lifter is very very rare.  Let alone for someone who weighs 180 pounds like JH, who is worth many millions,  and what makes it even more unlikely is there is no way IN H E L L that the O's brass is going to let him try and DL 700 pounds.  We are talking snap city when it comes to the back DLing that amount.  Just no way he could even do that based on his build, which is ok but nothing great.  Plus even IF he could, the Os would never let him.    End of story.   Here is one of the stronger guys I know on you tube who is around JH's weight, actually 10 pounds more, and it took years and years of training to DL 600 pounds for him.   Yet somehow a guy with JHs build is Deadlifting 700 at the age of 20?  Righttttttt lol.      
    • I'm looking at the Rays record over the past decade and I'm a bit confused over your definition of "have not won much". However, my argument is simple - teams that don't invest in payroll don't win championships in baseball. Over the past 21 years (I was going to do 20, but added the extra to include Florida's win in 2003), the average payroll position relative to the league of the eventual WS champ was 9th (see below) Year WS Champ OD Payroll rank 2003 FLA 25 2004 BOS 2 2005 CWS 13 2006 STL 11 2007 BOS 2 2008 PHI 12 2009 NYY 1 2010 SF 10 2011 STL 11 2012 SF 8 2013 BOS 4 2014 SF 7 2015 KC 16 2016 CHC 14 2017 HOU 18 2018 BOS 1 2019 WAS 7 2020 LAD 2 2021 ATL 13 2022 HOU 11 2023 TEX 9   Only three of these teams had payrolls in the bottom half of league: Florida in 2003 had by far the lowest payroll, at 25th. Their payroll climbed to as high as 18th over the next couple of years, but they couldn't maintain their success and haven't made the playoffs since, outside of the COVID season. KC in 2015 had the 16th lowest payroll, barely below the median payroll for the year. They haven't been back to the playoffs since. Houston in 2017 had the 18th lowest payroll. This was their big breakthrough year after their tanking/rebuild, and they haven't been lower than 11th since, and as high as 4th.   The trend is obvious. After the Marlins' miracle run in 2003, no team has won the WS with a payroll lower than 18th, and that team (Houston) is an obvious outlier as they were in the basically the same spot as the O's now (on the upswing from a full tear-down). While KC and Florida both had years where everything came together perfectly, they were unable to sustain their momentum. The O's were 23rd in payroll on Opening Day, and the current roster is good enough to win a championship, but history suggests they'll go the way of Florida and Kansas City if Rubenstein isn't willing to invest in the payroll. Consistently letting the talent drain out of your organization because you aren't willing to pay them won't lead to multiple championships and it won't keep fans engaged.
    • Correlation vs. Causation: The study states that there is a correlation between 1RM (one-rep max) squat and performance metrics like the 10-yard split and 40-yard dash times. However, correlation does not imply causation. Just because these variables are correlated does not mean that one causes the other.   
    • I think he's claimed and right away.
    • His Dad is a big boy and obvious lifter.  Some guys are naturally good squatters.  That’s an impressive number for Holliday, but who knows exactly how legit the actual squat is.  You can find high school kids at nearly every high school about his size with similar squat numbers.  Granted, they will be some of the strongest pound for pound kids, but it’s not a crazy number. 
  • Popular Contributors