Yankees Need Catching Depth

ScGO's

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So help me out here. You would trade the #2 overall prospect at a position of need for the Orioles for an 18-year old 5-10 Dominican outfielder who has never been challenged against high level pitching yet? 

That seems like an awfully risky proposition. Now Dominguez looks to be very talented, but all Dominican players, regardless of talent and bonus are wild cards with high volatility for production. 

I wouldn't make that trade and it certainly is not a no-brainer as some of you are suggesting. 

I'd trade the #2 overall prospect at a position of need, a position where he'll get banged up and probably not finish his career and who hasn't been challenged against high level pitching for a younger  5'10 Dominican outfielder who's a specimen.  Let it ride.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So help me out here. You would trade the #2 overall prospect at a position of need for the Orioles for an 18-year old 5-10 Dominican outfielder who has never been challenged against high level pitching yet? 

That seems like an awfully risky proposition. Now Dominguez looks to be very talented, but all Dominican players, regardless of talent and bonus are wild cards with high volatility for production. 

I wouldn't make that trade and it certainly is not a no-brainer as some of you are suggesting. 

My guess in a few years, we will look back and this and say damn, if this is possible, we should have done it.

Lets not pretend that Adley has seen a ton of pro pitching and it’s not like he has done well when he has.  He’ll be fine but still.  

If my scouts trusted that he was that good, I would rather Dominguez, who you can probably get 10+ years out of as opposed to hoping for 5-7 years from Adley.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My guess in a few years, we will look back and this and say damn, if this is possible, we should have done it.

Lets not pretend that Adley has seen a ton of pro pitching and it’s not like he has done well when he has.  He’ll be fine but still.  

If my scouts trusted that he was that good, I would rather Dominguez, who you can probably get 10+ years out of as opposed to hoping for 5-7 years from Adley.

I highly doubt the O's would get more than 5-7 years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How hasn't he? He had a .775 OPS the year he was drafted and recovered from mono. You could argue that he faced better competition in Aberdeen than in Delmarva and he had a .900 OPS there. Either way the sample size isn't very big so you can't say one way or the other. He also, as recognized by every scouting pub, dominated the alternative site and showed very well in the instructional league.  Here's his blurb in BA provided by other team's scouts and FO personnel. 

"Rutschman refined his swing at the alternate site over the summer and showed off the finished product in instructs. He showed the ability to hit for power, hit for average and played at least above-average defense behind the plate. Beyond his tools, Rutschman’s polish stood out prominently—evaluators opined he was not only ready for the major leagues, but that he would be one of MLB’s best catchers immediately."

8 minutes ago, LTO's said:

How hasn't he? He had a .775 OPS the year he was drafted and recovered from mono. You could argue that he faced better competition in Aberdeen than in Delmarva and he had a .900 OPS there. Either way the sample size isn't very big so you can't say one way or the other. He also, as recognized by every scouting pub, dominated the alternative site and showed very well in the instructional league.  Here's his blurb in BA provided by other team's scouts and FO personnel. 

"Rutschman refined his swing at the alternate site over the summer and showed off the finished product in instructs. He showed the ability to hit for power, hit for average and played at least above-average defense behind the plate. Beyond his tools, Rutschman’s polish stood out prominently—evaluators opined he was not only ready for the major leagues, but that he would be one of MLB’s best catchers immediately."

You're making arguments for the success he had in Aberdeen and Delmarva.  He should hit well there.

We haven't seen what he can do against AA or AAA pitching.  The alternative site information is nice but facing a limited pool of pitching makes those reports a bit suspect.  

I’m sure Dominguez is an excellent prospect or the Yankees wouldn’t have spent virtually their entire international allotment to sign him.    That said, he’s not ranked in the top 30 prospects in any of the major publications.    That may and probably will change as he moves up the system, but it’s not like he’s Wander Franco who already was regarded as top 10 at Dominguez’s age.    (It’s not apples to apples due to lack of a MiL season last year, but what can you do?).    I doubt many GM’s would prefer him to Rutschman.    

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're making arguments for the success he had in Aberdeen and Delmarva.  He should hit well there.

We haven't seen what he can do against AA or AAA pitching.  The alternative site information is nice but facing a limited pool of pitching makes those reports a bit suspect.  

Has Jasson ever actually played a game of competitive baseball in his life?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

And your evidence that Jasson will be able to is based on 100% less information lol. His scouting profile is based solely on his physical makeup and BP exit velocities which is why no scouting publication has him even near Adley.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

And your evidence that Jasson will be able to is based on 100% less information lol. His scouting profile is based solely on his physical makeup and BP exit velocities which is why no scouting publication has him even near Adley.

Tony's original point was that Jasson hasn't been challenged against high level pitching yet.  

Neither has Adley.  

Adley still ranks high on publication lists based off what he did in college, his draft status and perhaps what he did in the alternative site last year (which, as I said, facing the same pitching over and over again isn't much to brag about).  

At the end of the day we're talking about potential with very little information for each player.  Give me the younger guy who's built like Bo Jackson and plays a less physically demanding position than the older guy who's a catcher.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tony's original point was that Jasson hasn't been challenged against high level pitching yet.  

Neither has Adley.  

Adley still ranks high on publication lists based off what he did in college, his draft status and perhaps what he did in the alternative site last year (which, as I said, facing the same pitching over and over again isn't much to brag about).  

At the end of the day we're talking about potential with very little information for each player.  Give me the younger guy who's built like Bo Jackson and plays a less physically demanding position than the older guy who's a catcher.  

Right because the data from three years of major conference ball means as little as Jasson's home to first time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd trade the #2 overall prospect at a position of need, a position where he'll get banged up and probably not finish his career and who hasn't been challenged against high level pitching for a younger  5'10 Dominican outfielder who's a specimen.  Let it ride.

Fair enough, but I don't think you are putting enough into the equation of Rutschman having extreme success in major Div-I baseball and the rave reviews he's gotten from people who have seen him work out and play so far. 

There are lots of "specimens" out there that never did anything and it's not like he's 6-2 or 6-3. I hear above average tools, not 70-80 tools, which is what I would want to even consider moving Rutschman for anyone. 

• Upvote 1