Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

25 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Jumping to the next position....2B Rougned Odor.

The Rangers are dumping and I think are ready to quit him.   After 7000-some 2B innings, they are "trying" 3B this spring, where Adley draftmate Josh Jung might flirt with a first half callup.   Odor has been one of the worst for 2019-2020; 6th worst on FG 2-year position player WAR (Pujols, Smoak, Evan White, Adam Jones, Miggy), but I do think more upside than Yolmer.

Like Galvis, OAA across the years sees the body of work good, and the 2020 worse: 4th of 40 in 2018, 13th of 39 in 2019, 29th of 49 last year.  5th of 34 in OAA's entire multi-year sample, but he's older now.   Like, three years older than Yusniel Diaz old.

He has about 2/25 (and a $3M buyout for 2023) to go, though that's more for Davis trade scenarios if we wanted dibs before a DFA.

And of course, he's had one shining moment to the Orioles fanbase it might help to pass the time this year to recall now and again.

I was reading your comment and thinking why would the O's have any interest, but then your last sentence made me remember this glorious moment. 

Mer-XisvVY7m9HbmWq9nLXbU-Lr8oZubVJUp73lf

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

60 days is 8-9 weeks.

Right..which is why I said 6-7 weeks INTO the season.  If he goes on the IL, they should be able to retroactive it back to the other day, which once the season starts, will already have 2-3 weeks off that time period, which leaves the remaining 6-7 weeks, as I stated.

Obliques are very unpredictable.  I just don’t see them doing 60 days right off the bat.  Wouldn’t be surprising if they moved him to the 60 day list as time goes on, if he’s not healing but thats tbd.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I thought I had read that the 60 days had to be during the regular season but I can't find that reference now so maybe its not true.

I don’t believe that’s been the case in the past but maybe there was a rule change I glossed over?

In any event, they aren’t going to 60 day him out of the gate unless they know for sure it’s a severe issue.  I guess there is a way of knowing that but I’m not sure with something like this.  It’s always so day to day and week to week.

• Like 1

I hope there's a 2nd year team option if the O's really do sign Franco.  He's the kind of player who could make a big jump forward - like Iglesias did - and could develop some decent trade value.  Physically, he reminds me of Marcel Ozuna - who also improved dramatically last year, and he used to be considered one of the top prospects in baseball.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I thought I had read that the 60 days had to be during the regular season but I can't find that reference now so maybe its not true.

You cannot put anyone on the 60 day until the final opening day roster is set a few days before OD. I presume the clock starts then. 

11 hours ago, Philip said:

If we are comparing Franco’s defense to Nunez, oh what an unpleasant place 3B will be!,

FRanco's defense at 3B is better than Nunez by a longshot. Nunez really regressed defensively at 3B and he wasn't very good to start off with outside his plus arm strength (but accuracy issues).

49 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

You cannot put anyone on the 60 day until the final opening day roster is set a few days before OD. I presume the clock starts then. 

So if Franco is signing a major league contract now and the Orioles need to make space now, does that mean that they can't put Chris Davis on the 60 IL to make room now?    

11 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Jumping to the next position....2B Rougned Odor.

The Rangers are dumping and I think are ready to quit him.   After 7000-some 2B innings, they are "trying" 3B this spring, where Adley draftmate Josh Jung might flirt with a first half callup.   Odor has been one of the worst for 2019-2020; 6th worst on FG 2-year position player WAR (Pujols, Smoak, Evan White, Adam Jones, Miggy), but I do think more upside than Yolmer.

Like Galvis, OAA across the years sees the body of work good, and the 2020 worse: 4th of 40 in 2018, 13th of 39 in 2019, 29th of 49 last year.  5th of 34 in OAA's entire multi-year sample, but he's older now.   Like, three years older than Yusniel Diaz old.

He has about 2/25 (and a $3M buyout for 2023) to go, though that's more for Davis trade scenarios if we wanted dibs before a DFA.

And of course, he's had one shining moment to the Orioles fanbase it might help to pass the time this year to recall now and again.

There is no way the Orioles are picking that contract up. If Odor passes through waivers and is available I could see them potentially kicking the tires if something happened to Sanchez, but no way are the Orioles picking any big contract up. If Franco signs for more than $1.5 million I'll be surprised. I don't see the Orioles signing anymore free agents no that 3B is filled, but could still find someone interesting off DFA.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So if Franco is signing a major league contract now and the Orioles need to make space now, does that mean that they can't put Chris Davis on the 60 IL to make room now?    

I would not be surprised if Sceroler is returned to make room. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I would not be surprised if Sceroler is returned to make room. 

Makes sense.  Do you think the Reds want him back for 50K?

The other thing the O's could do is sign Franco to a minor league contract the converts to a major league contract on opening day.