Kyle Bradish 2021

Frobby

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'll go into next season with  Means, Grayson, Akin, Zimmermann, FA/Trade.   There will be injuries and non performance that give Ellis,   Baumann, Lowther, Kremer,  Bradish chances as the 2022 season progresses.

Pretty good projection, I think, whether it's April, May, or June for Grayson. Ellis is going to maybe force Akin and Zimmermann to win a ST job from him.

Everyone seems down on Alex Wells.  I think he's a candidate for next year as well.  I still have hopes for him.

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'll go into next season with  Means, Grayson, Akin, Zimmermann, FA/Trade.   There will be injuries and non performance that give Ellis,   Baumann, Lowther, Kremer,  Bradish chances as the 2022 season progresses.

It seems to me that the majority of Oriole fans will opine that we need two more candidates for the ML rotation going into spring training. I think that we should only seek one very solid addition to the rotation. Maybe do a low risk injury reclamation signing as well, but I don't want to block our SP prospects. What will drive me nuts is if we do another offseason with Harvey/LeBlanc type signings. Means/Rodriguez are locks (service time considerations of course). If healthy, Hall is ready for his shot. And Baumann/Bradish are knocking on the door for opportunities as well. And then we have a group of potential candidates that need more ML innings to properly evaluate in Lowther, Kremer, Akin, Zimmerman, Wells, Ellis. Add in a solid #3 SP via trade or signing and I think that will be sufficient depth, even with the inevitable injury factor. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2021 at 9:32 AM, wildcard said:

Ellis has a spot in my rotation as long as he's good in ST. Huge find for Elias. 

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

A pretty final line - 6/1 K/BB in 5 innings against Durham, just one run and four hits.

I guess early next year a Seniority v. Talent type race to see who gets the Oriole debut first between him and Rodriguez.   I hope for 15-20 MLB starts from both.

He finished with four straight strong starts — 20 IP, 13 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 6 BB, 24 K’s.   Definitely whetted my appetite for next year.  

I think Crash Davis called this kind of a dubious distinction, but Bradish made it solidly into the Top 50 of AAA East innings pitched.   His standings among that Top 50 cohort.

Estimated K-BB%: 10th    (a touch ahead of Liberatore and Garrett among prospect names I recognized logging real time there this year)

K%: 4th    (lagging only Jackson Kowar, Mark Leiter and Cory Abbott)

BB%: 37th     (Deivi Garcia last by a bunch...awful year for one of the few young Yankees I've worried about at times)

H/9 about 50th percentile, HR/9 about 80th percentile, maybe with Harbor Park helping him.

Kudos to Matt Blood orchestrating a seriously faithful carbon copy:

Bradish 2019: 24 games, 101.0 IP, 1757 pitches, 120/53 K/BB

Bradish 2021: 24 games, 100.1 IP, 1771 pitches, 131/44 K/BB   (10 unit improvements both categories again next year, please!)

For several years from now, if 200 IP, 250 K, 100 BB can be done in one baseball season not two, it might resemble a somewhat worse Chris Archer 2018.   That was only 70 walks - darned FIP nobody any good walks 100 anymore.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I like Grayson, DL, Lowther and Zimm. I believe in those four, along with John Means. I think they need two veteran guys to begin the year. I would prefer to acquire one legitimate solid veteran starter for the longer term. Use some of the depth to make that trade. 

There is still a lot of reliever risk for Bradish. Baumann and Akin as well. Kremer has to get back to his curve ball and get his confidence back. He may never make it back to being an effective starter. 

I am not a big fan of Wells’ stuff. He was fun to watch the other night, but I’m not too excited about his future. He took some velo off to have better control. He is going to have to be very sharp each time out or he gets lit up. I hope he proves me wrong.

It will be very interesting to see Bradish next spring. He works hard in the off season and he is still growing. You might see him with another 10lbs of muscle and a bit more velo if his historical trend continues. 

Considering  this was just his second season of actual minor league play, he has moved up quite quickly. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

It will be very interesting to see Bradish next spring. He works hard in the off season and he is still growing. You might see him with another 10lbs of muscle and a bit more velo if his historical trend continues. 

Considering  this was just his second season of actual minor league play, he has moved up quite quickly. 

I'm really happy to see him finish off the season on a roll. With 100 innings this season, it's good to see him shut it down for a while. I'd think he'd normally be a great candidate for training at P3 (like Means has in the past), but it's probably good to have a fresh arm for 2022. An encouraging thing about his season was a modest reduction in his walk rate. He finished at 3.9 per 9 IP, which I remember was around 4.7 midway through the year, consistent with his college numbers. I'm not worried about his velocity or raw stuff. It's all about his ability to locate consistently. I don't doubt that he can provide value in relief if he doesn't command better in the future, but it would be a shame because the stuff is there to be a very good starter. Guys like Randy Johnson and Sandy Koufax went from good pitchers to generational talents when they flicked the switch and got their command/walk rates under control, well into their ML careers. Those are extreme examples of course, but that truth is consistent across all talent levels. Brnovich is a guy I'd love to see add some velocity on his FB! For Bradish, I just want to see him lower his walks per 9 to the low 3's, and to see fewer pitches sail on him. He's gotten away with falling behind in the count in the minors with those kinds of pitches, but that margin for error won't hold up in the majors as a starter. But there's so much to like. He was one of the brightest developments in the organization this year. I'll be tracking his spring training as much as anyone else next year.