Stay Classy Philadelphia!

ScottieBaseball

Hands down, the worst and most undeserving fanbase ever. This is exactly why I was so against them winning the WS.

Of course things like this happen and they feel the need to act like bigger idiots to make sure that they're living up to the hype :rolleyestf:

LOL I thought you reserved that title for Cub fans, Milligan.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From today's ESPN chat with Keith Law :

Matt (Boston): The percentage of "questions" today where Philly fans are ripping you for clearly making your WS prediction based on personal hatred for the city is...

Keith Law: (1:14 PM ET ) Zero. They're all in jail today.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cornering a fan of the visiting team in a bathroom stall? Pouring beer on a nine-year-old? Throwing open mustard packets at Joe Maddon's granddaughter? This is the biggest waste of a World Series trophy on the biggest waste of a fanbase in years.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article873330.ece

You stay classy Philadephia!

That is awful!:angryfire:

Matt (Boston): The percentage of "questions" today where Philly fans are ripping you for clearly making your WS prediction based on personal hatred for the city is...

Haha, classic.

There is some of that type of behavior in every fan base, but in Philadelphia it does seem to be more accepted into the mainstream and even institutionalized. It's not just mistreatment of other fans, it's mistreatment of their own players and general lack of regard for common decency. The one time I attended a Phillies game at their new stadium I had some skanky college girl who literally came to the stadium dressed like a streetwalker threaten to kick my [backside] and my friend had the mirror broken off his car (not stolen, just gratuitously broken and left hanging there for fun) in a paid parking lot right next to the stadium. I know many more people who have had similar experiences in Philadelphia... a much greater percentage than at any other stadium on the east coast.

The most shocking thing to me about Philly fans though, was when a friend of mine decided it would be funny to put Philadelphia's main sports-talk station on in our office in the days after Brett Myers' domestic violence arrest. The host of the show wasn't talking about Brett Myers, he was talking about Pat Burrell. Specifically, he was repeatedly calling Burrell a [expletive for homosexual] and saying that he'd had a [same expletive] at bat the night before when he took a called strike three on the corner in a clutch situation. This was a team that had just had one of its star players arrested for beating his wife on a public street and handled the situation abominably... but the talk show host's vitriol was reserved for a guy who didn't agree with the umpire about whether a pitch was a strike. AND he was repeatedly using foul, hateful language on the public airwaves. Every team/city has classless fans. In Philadelphia, they seem to define themselves by their classlessness. I'm sure they're just a loud minority, but it's to the point where the sane Phillies fans, the team, and the local media ownership really ought to be trying to do something about it.

To be fair, I have gone to two Phillies games at Citizen's Bank Park decked out in O's gear (albeit in games against the Braves and Nationals). I got some queer looks, but actually the people I met and the concessionaires were very nice. But I am planning this summer to go to an O's interleague game there, and I'm sure I'll have a different experience...

Haha nice!

People shouldn't be at a sporting event like that if they don't want to deal with the people there.

Why wear a Rays jersey in Philly and then complain about being harrassed?

I would expect to get razzed for wearing out-of-town swag, but it's certainly not grounds for physical threats and assault. Make fun of my team, rub it in my face when we're losing, call me names and I'm cool with that. Violate my personal space (or God forbid the personal space of one of my children) and I will bust your snotbox.

People shouldn't be at a sporting event like that if they don't want to deal with the people there.

Why wear a Rays jersey in Philly and then complain about being harrassed?

Harrassing me, a 25 year old man is one thing. Pouring a beer on 9 year old kids and throwing mustard packs at Maddon's granddaughter is unacceptable no matter what the situation. Kids have the right to experience sporting events without being hasseled end of story.

The true clincher to the arguement if they are idiots or not is pouring $10 dollar beers out. Of course, I can abide by the Coors being poured out though, being that it doesn't necessarily fit in any beer category that I know of. ;)

Your forgetting the watered down swill category. They invented it solely for Coors Lite :rofl:

Harrassing me, a 25 year old man is one thing. Pouring a beer on 9 year old kids and throwing mustard packs at Maddon's granddaughter is unacceptable no matter what the situation. Kids have the right to experience sporting events without being hasseled end of story.

I've been to several Eagles and Philles games and I love the atmosphere they have..I love it. But there are jerks at all sporting events I had beer thrown at me from a eagles fan (though they were trying to hit the Cowboys fans sitting next to me) but I still love watching their games. You may hate Philly fans but hey 11 years of losing and they still love the teams and pack their stadiums. Wish I could say the same for my fellow O's.

Not really trying to defend the stupid stuff they do but most fans I've been around don't act as stupid as reported by the media.

Archived