Stay Classy Philadelphia!

ScottieBaseball

Cornering a fan of the visiting team in a bathroom stall? Pouring beer on a nine-year-old? Throwing open mustard packets at Joe Maddon's granddaughter? This is the biggest waste of a World Series trophy on the biggest waste of a fanbase in years.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article873330.ece

You stay classy Philadephia!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happened to be on a flight from Charlotte to Philly last night and the game ended right as we were boarding there were all kinds of Phillies chants obnoxious people, and one guy struck me funny he says sitting behind me looking like Henry Rollins with a big beard 'no I don't watch the Phillies when was the last time they won a WS?' So now We're going to be stuck with the Phils fans coming out of the woodwork but hey its better than/then(which one) more Sawx fans.

That is a pretty biased article. Actually, really biased.

I would imagine if another city came to Baltimore in a WS game, our fans would treat outsiders the same. Not saying this is right, but there is always jerks in every crowd. And if player's families did not think there would be any name calling/ribbing at a WS away game, they honestly should have just stayed home and watched it on TV.

If TB is up 3-1 in the series, do you see this article? Doubt it.

That is a pretty biased article. Actually, really biased.

I would imagine if another city came to Baltimore in a WS game, our fans would treat outsiders the same. Not saying this is right, but there is always jerks in every crowd. And if player's families did not think there would be any name calling/ribbing at a WS away game, they honestly should have just stayed home and watched it on TV.

If TB is up 3-1 in the series, do you see this article? Doubt it.

I used to love those times in Baltimore. Please, can we win again sometime so that we can misbehave?

Hands down, the worst and most undeserving fanbase ever. This is exactly why I was so against them winning the WS.

Of course things like this happen and they feel the need to act like bigger idiots to make sure that they're living up to the hype :rolleyestf:

We agree so completely about this. Being in West Philadelphia right now makes me sick.

There is some of that type of behavior in every fan base, but in Philadelphia it does seem to be more accepted into the mainstream and even institutionalized. It's not just mistreatment of other fans, it's mistreatment of their own players and general lack of regard for common decency. The one time I attended a Phillies game at their new stadium I had some skanky college girl who literally came to the stadium dressed like a streetwalker threaten to kick my [backside] and my friend had the mirror broken off his car (not stolen, just gratuitously broken and left hanging there for fun) in a paid parking lot right next to the stadium. I know many more people who have had similar experiences in Philadelphia... a much greater percentage than at any other stadium on the east coast.

The most shocking thing to me about Philly fans though, was when a friend of mine decided it would be funny to put Philadelphia's main sports-talk station on in our office in the days after Brett Myers' domestic violence arrest. The host of the show wasn't talking about Brett Myers, he was talking about Pat Burrell. Specifically, he was repeatedly calling Burrell a [expletive for homosexual] and saying that he'd had a [same expletive] at bat the night before when he took a called strike three on the corner in a clutch situation. This was a team that had just had one of its star players arrested for beating his wife on a public street and handled the situation abominably... but the talk show host's vitriol was reserved for a guy who didn't agree with the umpire about whether a pitch was a strike. AND he was repeatedly using foul, hateful language on the public airwaves. Every team/city has classless fans. In Philadelphia, they seem to define themselves by their classlessness. I'm sure they're just a loud minority, but it's to the point where the sane Phillies fans, the team, and the local media ownership really ought to be trying to do something about it.

There is some of that type of behavior in every fan base, but in Philadelphia it does seem to be more accepted into the mainstream and even institutionalized. It's not just mistreatment of other fans, it's mistreatment of their own players and general lack of regard for common decency. The one time I attended a Phillies game at their new stadium I had some skanky college girl who literally came to the stadium dressed like a streetwalker threaten to kick my [backside] and my friend had the mirror broken off his car (not stolen, just gratuitously broken and left hanging there for fun) in a paid parking lot right next to the stadium. I know many more people who have had similar experiences in Philadelphia... a much greater percentage than at any other stadium on the east coast.

The most shocking thing to me about Philly fans though, was when a friend of mine decided it would be funny to put Philadelphia's main sports-talk station on in our office in the days after Brett Myers' domestic violence arrest. The host of the show wasn't talking about Brett Myers, he was talking about Pat Burrell. Specifically, he was repeatedly calling Burrell a [expletive for homosexual] and saying that he'd had a [same expletive] at bat the night before when he took a called strike three on the corner in a clutch situation. This was a team that had just had one of its star players arrested for beating his wife on a public street and handled the situation abominably... but the talk show host's vitriol was reserved for a guy who didn't agree with the umpire about whether a pitch was a strike. AND he was repeatedly using foul, hateful language on the public airwaves. Every team/city has classless fans. In Philadelphia, they seem to define themselves by their classlessness. I'm sure they're just a loud minority, but it's to the point where the sane Phillies fans, the team, and the local media ownership really ought to be trying to do something about it.

That's insane. I can't believe I didn't hear anything about that, because I sure remember all the people calling in to WIP and saying Myers ought to go (I was working in a bookstore receiving room at the time and we had 610 WIP on from 7:00am until 4:00pm -- much more sports radio than anyone should be subjected to, but I was the new guy and all the old heads loved it). And considering the large homosexual population in Philadelphia, I'm surprised there wasn't a protest or more noise made about it.

I remember hosts saying to reserve judgment until the truth comes out and that sort of baloney, but not calling Burrell such an offensive word.

Do you remember which host it was? I could see it being Mike Missanelli (since fired for assaulting his own producer, then hired at 950AM)or maybe Howard Eskin, who has a rare talent for putting his foot in his mouth.

Nothing like pouring my beer on a kid heads to cap off a victory.

The true clincher to the arguement if they are idiots or not is pouring $10 dollar beers out. Of course, I can abide by the Coors being poured out though, being that it doesn't necessarily fit in any beer category that I know of. ;)

No no no...you're misunderstanding...you've got it all wrong. It's not a "lack of common decency". It's not that at all. It's "passion". :rolleyes:

Archived