Sunday June 13: Orioles try to avoid sweep at Rays

SteveA

1 minute ago, Beysbol said:

Don't know why they would rather pitch to Arozarena. He's a great hitter. 

Meadows is pretty good in his own right.  I get why you load the bases, you get a grounder and you're out of the inning.  

It just seems that strategy hardly ever works for us.  Especially down 3-1, the game is still in reach (kinda, lets be honest that's an insurmountable lead for us against the Rays) but you just run the risk of letting them break the game wide open.

I'd be more supportive of that strategy if we had an absolutely lights out reliever who was ground ball dominant.  Not a guy who was hot for the first month of the season and has been running on fumes.

9 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Get rid of Valdez. If we're going to have crap pitchers, they should be young guys who have some possibility of getting better and being useful in the future, even if the chance of that is tiny. The chance of Valdez being useful in the future is zero.

I agree.  It was fun while it lasted, though.

Every game has me pondering the guys we should get rid of. There’s the list of guys we should get rid of regardless like Severino and Franco. And then there’s the guys who are trending from average to mediocre to awful, and this game it’s Valdez and Lakins.

I don’t know who is next up from the Minors but bring them up.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

So it seems that Lakins and Valdez are not long for the Orioles.

Meanwhile, why is Mullins sitting today?

The official word was that Mullins is not hurt and the manager just wanted to give him a day off.

He had two hits in Saturday's game, so it's not like he's in an extended slump at the plate.  And he had two days off on Monday and Thursday when the team did not play, so it's not like he's exhausted from playing an excessive number of days in a row.

But the official word was that it was considered a good idea to give him the day off today, so that's why he was sitting.

It did give D. J. Stewart a chance to get into the lineup and he was 50% of the Orioles' offense with one of the team's two hits, so I guess that's one small positive.

• Thanks 1