T. Wells is the only reliever on this team capable of being a late inning reliever

interloper

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Wells will be one of the Orioles starter's next year. He certainly is one of the only guys out there I have faith in that blowpen.

For that reason I kind of hope he stays in the bullpen. No one else has decided to step up except the AA Rule 5 kid. It drives me nuts. I feel so embarrassed for the rest of these guys. In rebuilds like this it becomes very easy to see who is a nugget for a future good team. He's outclassed the rest of the bullpen and it's not even close IMO. 

My question about him starting is, does he have a third pitch. The 90 mph wipe out slider thing he has is pretty great to go along with the 95 mph fastball. Can he throw a change up consistently? Also, he just looks like he wants to be a reliever. But I certainly am curious about him starting. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wells will be one of the Orioles starter's next year. He certainly is one of the only guys out there I have faith in that blowpen.

I don't know about that but if he is, they should be starting him now.  Get a look at him in that role.

I doubt he makes the team as a starter next year if all he does is pitch out of relief this year.

30 minutes ago, interloper said:

For that reason I kind of hope he stays in the bullpen. No one else has decided to step up except the AA Rule 5 kid. It drives me nuts. I feel so embarrassed for the rest of these guys. In rebuilds like this it becomes very easy to see who is a nugget for a future good team. He's outclassed the rest of the bullpen and it's not even close IMO. 

My question about him starting is, does he have a third pitch. The 90 mph wipe out slider thing he has is pretty great to go along with the 95 mph fastball. Can he throw a change up consistently? Also, he just looks like he wants to be a reliever. But I certainly am curious about him starting. 

Take a look at his repertoire here https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/tyler-wells-669330?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

He's thrown 69 changeups and has flashed a curve (35 of them), something he used more in spring training before settling in on the slider in relief.  While he could end up a decent fastball slider reliever, looking at the options available, Wells should be given every opportunity to start next year and maybe even this year. His fastball gets a very solid 30.2 whiff and he can show three other pitches that he throws for strikes and can get whiffs on his slider (35.5%) and change (39.5%). 

The Orioles didn't draft him to be a reliever long term, they drafted him because he has starter potential. If he were in the system right now, I'd have him ranked above Bradish and maybe Bauman if Baumann can't get his act together. 

Basically he's the 3rd best starting pitcher under 27 in the organization.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Take a look at his repertoire here https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/tyler-wells-669330?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

He's thrown 69 changeups and has flashed a curve (35 of them), something he used more in spring training before settling in on the slider in relief.  While he could end up a decent fastball slider reliever, looking at the options available, Wells should be given every opportunity to start next year and maybe even this year. His fastball gets a very solid 30.2 whiff and he can show three other pitches that he throws for strikes and can get whiffs on his slider (35.5%) and change (39.5%). 

The Orioles didn't draft him to be a reliever long term, they drafted him because he has starter potential. If he were in the system right now, I'd have him ranked above Bradish and maybe Bauman if Baumann can't get his act together. 

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion yet.  He only has one outing of 3 innings and none of his outings have gone longer than that.  You don't know what his stuff will be like going through a lineup 2-3 times.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And the 2nd best that is healthy.

Not sure I would do more than spot starts this year to limit his innings.    This is the most he has pitched since his TJ surgery.    I'd take it slow. Protect him.  Have him ready for ST next season.  He is too valuable to over use.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If that's the case, sign me up for 2 more Rule 5 picks next season.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I don't see how you can come to that conclusion yet.  He only has one outing of 3 innings and none of his outings have gone longer than that.  You don't know what his stuff will be like going through a lineup 2-3 times.

True, I'm just saying repertoire and command wise I like him better than Bradish. As you pointed out, I'd probably start him in the second half and see what he looks like between after 50 pitches, then 75, then up to a 100 pitches to see if his stuff holds up. 

So far they have really babied him rarely letting him go over 25 pitches (9 times) though he has had success in the small sample size between 25-50 pitches. From what I've seen, it's time to take off the kid gloves and let's see what they have. He's 26-years old. 

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

And the 2nd best that is healthy.

Not sure I would do more than spot starts this year to limit his innings.    This is the most he has pitched since his TJ surgery.    I'd take it slow. Protect him.  Have him ready for ST next season.  He is too valuable to over use.

That's a good point. Saying that, he's shown he's healthy and he's over two years removed from TJ surgery. I'd start stretching him out now.

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a good point. Saying that, he's shown he's healthy and he's over two years removed from TJ surgery. I'd start stretching him out now.

Its a judgement call.   There is nothing to  be gained by pushing him this season IMO.  I would be very carefully with him.  

They will put him on a program this off season to build him up.   He will be stretched out next spring as a starter.   I agree with your assessment of his stuff.