T. Wells is the only reliever on this team capable of being a late inning reliever

interloper

5 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Nights like tonight are why I have long thought it's insane to consider trading Scott. I know he's inconsistent, but he has so much potential.

The problem is you get both, and you never know what you’re going to get from night to night. 

2 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Nights like tonight are why I have long thought it's insane to consider trading Scott. I know he's inconsistent, but he has so much potential.

You stick with guys like him. Look at how long it took Matt Barnes in Boston to get consistent. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

But you know that if you trade him he turns into Josh Hader. (Hader, by the way, is 20 for 20 in saves at the midway point.)

Yeah there’s always that possibility and that’s why guys with mediocre or worse track records get traded.

Regarding Hader, I have lots of problems with Dan, but that trade isn’t one of them. The return was good, the cost was low and Hader blooming is exactly why teams take chances on guys. 

I would love for a few teams to take chances on some of our guys, like Stewart and Scott.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Scott threw 4 balls all night and dominated the Astros.  Slight difference from the other night.

14 hours ago, orioles22 said:

His overall numbers are decent but I don’t like relying on a guy who’s so inconsistent.   Plus, I just hate watching when a guy can’t throw strikes and doesn’t know where the ball is going.   That’s painful to watch.   

On 6/29/2021 at 6:31 PM, maybenxtyr said:

Please explain how you cover the innings?

That’s a very good question, but it’s also a very consistent problem, and not the kind of thing that is a surprise from day to day. And because it is a regular and consistent problem they should have a solution for it.
Beyond that however, the difference between what Hyde Is trying to get, and what he actually gets, is only two or three outs. 
He lets a guy start the 6th, for instance, knowing he’s in the danger zone in terms of pitch count. Experience has shown the guy is not going to get through the inning. Now, he has, at times, but it’s not common enough to be a reasonable expectation.
What usually happens is that The starter Doesn’t finish the inning and leaves with men on base, and then it is up to the reliever to deal with the situation.

The difference between bringing in a reliever to a clean inning and bringing the reliever in with men on base and 0,1 or 2 outs is only one inning anyway.

Asking for four innings from your bullpen every night is incredibly difficult, I know that, but faced with two difficult options, it’s best to bring in a reliever to start a clean inning, Because you’re probably going to bring that reliever in during the inning anyway, and thus won’t be saving the Pen arms.

Of course there are exceptions, and if a starter is cruising, You can reassess. But they are exceptions because they are rare.