Orioles bring Taxi Squad back, 3 pitchers and 1 catcher

Legend_Of_Joey

After going through most of the pen last night and having a “bullpen game” tonight, having some extra pitchers is good. I believe Mattson is the only one currently on the 40.

Ciuffo there is interesting. Earlier, you HAD to have a catcher. Ciuffo just got back from a broken hand and has been hitting good in Norfolk (which seems to be happening with everyone at some point,) while Wynns has struggled at the dish and starts tonight. 

Based on how tonight goes, expect quite a few moves tomorrow.

• Legend_Of_Joey changed the title to Orioles bring Taxi Squad back, 3 pitchers and 1 catcher

I think this is more of a paper move then anything.  You move a bunch of guys up to higher levels someone else has to move up to or release someone, or send someone down.  If you Maputo them on taxi squad it lets you juggle the numbers a bit better.  The one move that interests me to this is Ciuffo.  That doesn’t leave lot depth at Norfolk catcher wise, we trade one, Sisco was taken by Mets and now Ciuffo not in Norfolk.  I think we are starting to see some smoke on horizon.

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I think this is more of a paper move then anything.  You move a bunch of guys up to higher levels someone else has to move up to or release someone, or send someone down.  If you Maputo them on taxi squad it lets you juggle the numbers a bit better.  The one move that interests me to this is Ciuffo.  That doesn’t leave lot depth at Norfolk catcher wise, we trade one, Sisco was taken by Mets and now Ciuffo not in Norfolk.  I think we are starting to see some smoke on horizon.

Could be. I think if you bring anyone on the Taxi Squad still, you need a catcher so it could be nothing.

Or could be something.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Good point, no other metropolitan area has more than one team.
    • Could it be that they allowed the Gnats to reside within 30 minutes of their home. Effectively cutting their market in half? 
    • Got my all-time low rarity score on today's game - 6.
    • 41 freaking years and here's this guy with the name pickles telling me I should be happy with 91 wins and getting owned in the playoffs again. 😂 😂 I saw a team that looked terrible the second half and probably didn't even deserve that spot the way they were playing .
    • Lol. Here's the funny they know more then you know. Typical Oriole fan who's happy with getting punched in the mouth. 
    • I don’t like the wall. I think it’s affecting our hitters. I’ve mentioned before that I think it has totally warped Mountcastle into something he was never really meant to be. The guy came up as a pull-heavy HR hitter, and in his first season-plus (725 PAs), he puts up 38 HRs and a 116 wRC+. Since then, the wRC+ is down to 110, and his approach has totally changed, with his pull numbers plummeting (down from 39% in 2021 to less than 28% this year). He still hits the ball hard, but constantly underachieves his batted ball data — probably because he’s trying to avoid the pull field and hitting balls to the deepest parts of pretty much every other park. Will the same thing happen to Mayo? Maybe he has more pure power, but it’s always going to be a challenge for a RH slugger to survive with that wall. So much harder to do damage.   Beyond that, I think it’s also creating a serious risk of changing our LH hitters’ approaches too. These guys (Henderson, Holliday, Cowser, 2/3 of Adley) have come up with a reputation for being able to drive the ball to all fields. But how long does that continue when they just can’t hit it out to the opposite field? Our LH hitters had a combined 44 wRC+ at OPACY, and only one HR. They had the 3rd most balls hit to LF at home by LHHs, but the lowest wRC+ of any team on those balls (for the second straight year). The Royals, ironically enough, were the only team that was lower than a 70 wRC+ — that’s how much worse our lefties fared going oppo (at OPACY) than everyone else’s. By player: Gunnar Henderson: 112 wRC+ / .160 ISO (51 PAs) Adley Rutschman: 10 wRC+ / .026 ISO (38 PAs) Anthony Santander: 14 wRC+ / .095 ISO (43 PAs) Colton Cowser: 58 wRC+ / .057 ISO (36 PAs) Ryan O’Hearn: 47 wRC+ / .091 ISO (55 PAs) Cedric Mullins: 23 wRC+ / .100 ISO (41 PAs) Jackson Holliday: -72 wRC+ / .000 ISO (16 PAs)   On the road, they had a combined 126 wRC+ (with 9 HRs) going to left field, so it’s not like they’re bad at it. It’s just Death Valley out there in LF for them at OPACY.  How long will it be until these LH guys just start going full pull-happy? Essentially, the opposite of what’s happened with Mountcastle. When (a) your team’s philosophy is to focus on doing damage and (b) you can’t DO damage to the opposite field — the rational endpoint is just to try to pull everything. I don’t think that’s a good outcome. I think it makes them much worse hitters in the other 81 games, and I think it’s a terrible waste of a bunch of really talented hitters with all-field abilities.
  • Popular Contributors