I think Roberts will be traded...

LookinUp

and I don't necessarily think it depends on whether we get Teixeira. I have a feeling he doesn't want to extend with the O's.

I've been reading the tea leaves - we all know how reliable that is - and I think there's a decent amount of evidence suggesting he may be traded.

For instance, the Cubs were reportedly considering whether they could STILL target BRob if they make a big run at Peavy. Other teams have reportedly been interested like the White Sox and Indians as well. Of course, AM's demands from the Indians suggest he's certainly driving a hard bargain.

Honestly, rumors aside, if he doesn't attend the uniform event this Wednesday that's what will have me convinced. If he does, I'll chalk this thread up to trying to start a new discussion during the quiet before the FA storm. Still, BRob is too much of hometown guy to be excluded from an event like that. I may be reading too much into Roch's not mentioning Roberts, but I just don't think it was an oversight on the O's part.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and I don't necessarily think it depends on whether we get Teixeira. I have a feeling he doesn't want to extend with the O's.

I've been reading the tea leaves - we all know how reliable that is - and I think there's a decent amount of evidence suggesting he may be traded.

For instance, the Cubs were reportedly considering whether they could STILL target BRob if they make a big run at Peavy. Other teams have reportedly been interested like the White Sox and Indians as well. Of course, AM's demands from the Indians suggest he's certainly driving a hard http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?sa=l&ai=BDrfVVtcYSd-XFon-ygWtj_3BDa-S9YYB78OK3QnFupuzBMDPJBABGAEg4uONAzgAUJzGmMX______wFgyYagiqSk4BGgAfvz0P4DsgEYZm9ydW0ub3Jpb2xlc2hhbmdvdXQuY29tugEJNzI4eDkwX2FzyAEC2gFIaHR0cDovL2ZvcnVtLm9yaW9sZXNoYW5nb3V0LmNvbS9mb3J1bXMvc2hvd3RocmVhZC5waHA_cD0xNTE2NjQyJnBvc3RlZD0x4AEDgAIBwAIBqAMByAMF6AODAugDhQb1AwABAACYBAA&num=1&adurl=http://www.baseballboss.com/promos/landing&client=ca-pub-0974626320865393&nm=2bargain.

Honestly, rumors aside, if he doesn't attend the uniform event this Wednesday that's what will have me convinced. If he does, I'll chalk this thread up to trying to start a new discussion during the quiet before the FA storm. Still, BRob is too much of hometown guy to be excluded from an event like that. I may be reading too much into Roch's not mentioning Roberts, but I just don't think it was an oversight on the O's part.

OK, before I get into my alternative conspiracy theory, it is of course possible that he simply had a scheduling conflict. That said, since I was listening to the Anita Marks show when he learned about the event from a talk show host rather than from the team, I think it's quite likely that his non-inclusion was a conscious choice by the Orioles to shift the spotlight away from him and toward players they plan on keeping. Roberts was in Baltimore for Orioles charitable events right in the middle of all the trade talks last winter. He was in Baltimore for BJ Surhoff's charity event just a couple of weeks ago. He's not trying to disappear off the Baltimore scene, whether or not he wants to or thinks he's going to be traded.

Dave Trembley has stated pretty clearly that he thinks Roberts wants to stay. Roberts has said repeatedly that he would sit down and consider an offer if he got one, but he hasn't gotten one. Meanwhile MacPhail is telling the press he wants to resign Roberts, but talking to other GMs about trade packages and NOT talking to his agent about an extension package.

I think MacPhail wants Roberts out, but is dragging things out in an effort to appease Angelos and the fans and keep himself from looking like the bad guy. It's quite possible they might not be able to agree on a dollar amount, or that MacPhail might get an offer of prospects that he prefers to extending him. But the way to find out the former is to make an offer and see how the agent reacts and the way to determine the latter was to make an evaluation based on the 9 or so months of talks he's already had about trading the guy. The way this is dragging on is bad PR and bad HR management on MacPhail's part. How could Roberts possibly be motivated to extend with a team that claims it wants to extend him but is more interested in talking to other GMs about his future than talking to his agent in substantive terms? Of course that in itself could be reason enough to stay away from MacPhail's little event.

Update: I forgot to mention earlier that team president Andy MacPhail, manager Dave Trembley and several current and former players - including Nick Markakis, George Sherrill, Jeremy Guthrie and Hall of Famer Jim Palmer - will attend Wednesday's rally. There is no admission charge.

Roch

Roberts isnt scheduled to be at the unveiling.

OK, before I get into my alternative conspiracy theory, it is of course possible that he simply had a scheduling conflict. That said, since I was listening to the Anita Marks show when he learned about the event from a talk show host rather than from the team, I think it's quite likely that his non-inclusion was a conscious choice by the Orioles to shift the spotlight away from him and toward players they plan on keeping. Roberts was in Baltimore for Orioles charitable events right in the middle of all the trade talks last winter. He was in Baltimore for BJ Surhoff's charity event just a couple of weeks ago. He's not trying to disappear off the Baltimore scene, whether or not he wants to or thinks he's going to be traded.

Dave Trembley has stated pretty clearly that he thinks Roberts wants to stay. Roberts has said repeatedly that he would sit down and consider an offer if he got one, but he hasn't gotten one. Meanwhile MacPhail is telling the press he wants to resign Roberts, but talking to other GMs about trade packages and NOT talking to his agent about an extension package.

I think MacPhail wants Roberts out, but is dragging things out in an effort to appease Angelos and the fans and keep himself from looking like the bad guy. It's quite possible they might not be able to agree on a dollar amount, or that MacPhail might get an offer of prospects that he prefers to extending him. But the way to find out the former is to make an offer and see how the agent reacts and the way to determine the latter was to make an evaluation based on the 9 or so months of talks he's already had about trading the guy. The way this is dragging on is bad PR and bad HR management on MacPhail's part. How could Roberts possibly be motivated to extend with a team that claims it wants to extend him but is more interested in talking to other GMs about his future than talking to his agent in substantive terms? Of course that in itself could be reason enough to stay away from MacPhail's little event.

You're seeing the same thing I'm seeing. Obviously nothing's written in stone, but I think BRob really proved his worth last year and probably really improved his value. AM might actually pull the trigger this offseason.

Roch

Roberts isnt scheduled to be at the unveiling.

In fairness, it also didn't say he wasn't scheduled. It just noted some people that are scheduled to appear. Roch also said Boberts wouldn't be wearing a Cubs jersey. I think that was just his humor though.

I don't expect any offers worth trading Roberts. We'll get worse offers than last year, IMO.

If the right deal is there, sure you make the move, but I'm not expecting it to be.

What's the difference between Matt Holliday and Brian Roberts?

Wait for it.

Roberts is signable.

It is highly possible Brian Roberts :hearts:is riding on his white horse helping others!!!:):clap3:

That is why He will miss the event!:rolleyestf:

Either that or he had a private meeting with AM and voiced his honest opinion about what he thinks about this franchise.

If you were Brian, would you want to re-sign? At a minimum, I'd wait to discuss any extension until I found out whether this grand fantasy baseball player acquisition plan espoused by so many fans actually pans out.

I bet he's not banking on it though.

What's the difference between Matt Holliday and Brian Roberts?

Wait for it.

Roberts is signable.

Holliday is better that Roberts. Last year his VORP was 60 to Roberts' 50. In 2007 it was 75 to Roberts' 49.

Roberts is a very good player, underrated even, and thats why the offers won't be there. Teams just don't give up big packages for 2B. I'd love it if we get the offers, but I just don't expect it to happen. We'll get worse offers than last year's Cubs deal (Gallagher, Cedeno, Patterson, Veal).

Well, the Indians might not be interested in BRob. Just passing this on, its not reliable, just passing on 3rd party information, but a friend of mine in Fla. said he heard talks of a Marlins/Indians trade where the Indians get Uggla and the Marlins would get Garko+ Hodges and a SP (Maybe Miiler?)

Now, the Indians I guess could move Uggla to 3B and still be interested in Roberts.

Again, just 3rd party info.

Archived