Connor Norby 2021

Tony-OH

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've watched Norby since his arrival in Delmarva and he's an impressive hitter. He's hits the ball with authority to all fields and although it looks like he has gap power right now, with a little more lift we could see homers start to come. 

He's got a really good eye at the plate and rarely chases so far. 

Defensively, he moves well enough side to side but one play he had to come in on he may have misjudged the runner's speed and was late. He looks like he turns the DP ok, but I've seen a few throws that shows me why he's at second base. The arm will play but he probably won't be making up the middle backhand plays too often.

I really like what I see so far from him.

I’m a Vavra fan.  It will be interesting to see how these 2 compare and compete as they come up through the system.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m a Vavra fan.  It will be interesting to see how these 2 compare and compete as they come up through the system.

Norby looks like the better defender at 2B to me and looks like he has a little more pop than Vavra. But, Vavra hits left-handed and I like his approach as well.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I root for every prospect but I am concerned about Vavra's bat.  Pretty high K totals for a non power bat along with about a .260 avg. in AA.  I realize the walks are there but are the hits there as he moves up further?

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Norby looks like the better defender at 2B to me and looks like he has a little more pop than Vavra. But, Vavra hits left-handed and I like his approach as well.

Ideally,  Norby is the starter and Vavra can play that Ben Zobrist type role.  Not sure he can quite have that versatility but if he can play the OF, second and third, he could find 300-400 at bats a year.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I root for every prospect but I am concerned about Vavra's bat.  Pretty high K totals for a non power bat along with about a .260 avg. in AA.  I realize the walks are there but are the hits there as he moves up further?

Legit concern for sure.  I like him better than Jones but we definitely need to see more.  Hope he goes to the AFL this year, after missing so much time this year.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ideally,  Norby is the starter and Vavra can play that Ben Zobrist type role.  Not sure he can quite have that versatility but if he can play the OF, second and third, he could find 300-400 at bats a year.

Let's hope this is a "problem" the Orioles have in about two years or so. I hope they both look like starters so one can be moved for pitching.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's hope this is a "problem" the Orioles have in about two years or so. I hope they both look like starters so one can be moved for pitching.

Well yea, that too.  We are definitely looking at the possibility of trading MIers in trades, potentially as early as this offseason.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Vavra goes deep to lead off the game tonight in Bowie.  He just have heard us talking about him.

Yep.  Nice. And Norby has really heated up at Delmarva.  Just about every 2021 draftee off to a good start.  You couldn't ask for much more as far as an initial look at a draft class.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yep.  Nice. And Norby has really heated up at Delmarva.  Just about every 2021 draftee off to a good start.  You couldn't ask for much more as far as an initial look at a draft class.

Which really should happen when they are college guys playing in leagues where they are older than a lot of guys.

So that’s good…they are doing what you expect and not crapping the bed. 

I'm not sure what's normal anymore. Normally they be in the NY Penn league, which would be a step down and most would start at Delmarva next year.  That's how Mancini did it.  Except for the top picks that would DC owbe a typical progression. 

BTW, Frobby will probably pop in and tell us the average age in the SAL.  I'm not sure our current team is as old as you think, compared to the rest of the league. You might want to applaud it rather than downplay it.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm not sure what's normal anymore. Normally they be in the NY Penn league, which would be a step down and most would start at Delmarva next year.  That's how Mancini did it.  Except for the top picks that would DC owbe a typical progression. 

BTW, Frobby will probably pop in and tell us the average age in the SAL.  I'm not sure our current team is as old as you think, compared to the rest of the league. You might want to applaud it rather than downplay it.

I know you like to take every comment personally as if I’m offending members of your family but you really need to stop attempting to read stuff into it.  You are really bad at it and it’s not my intention.

As I said, they are doing what they should do.  It’s nice to see.  

Average age I believe is around 21.  Some of them may be within that area.  Certainly were in the FCL, which is where most of their stats have been accumulated.