Stockstill hints Matusz to Frederick is likely

Frobby

Per Roch:

On the local scene, I know a lot of fans are wondering where left-hander Brian Matusz will begin his professional career outside of the Arizona Fall League. I've speculated that he'll be assigned to Single-A Frederick, and a conversation I had earlier today with David Stockstill, director of player development, hasn't changed my mind.

Stockstill said a final decision hasn't been made, but he also noted how well it worked for Jake Arrieta earlier this year when the right-hander started out at Frederick. He was supposed to move up to Double-A Bowie at the break, but his inclusion on the Olympic team altered those plans. Otherwise, he would have joined catcher Matt Wieters on the Baysox's roster.

"It wouldn't be drastically off the charts to look at the same plan for Matusz that we had for Arrieta," Stockstill said.

http://www.masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense to me, though I doubt others here will like it.

If Weiters, who was the best college bat in his draft, and Arrieta, who lit up the AFL (albeit in a relief role), both started in A ball, I don't see why they'd change the plan with Matusz.

I agree that Matusz should start at Frederick. I think two months there, assuming he's successful, will be more than enough though. I have a feeling people will be calling for him to be moved up well before the O's move him up.

Depends.

If he's lighting up the league, then I agree, he should be moved up ... but if he's doing 'ok' to 'pretty good', then he should stay put. Let him prove he doesn't belong there.

Not surprising at all considering David's cautious approach for level placements.

In the interests of learning more about the minor league system than the (approximately) nothing I already know, do you consider this cautiousness to be a good thing? Around the beginning of June each season we inevitably hear the grumblings on the board about how players who have "proven themselves" aren't being promoted in a timely manner.

In the interests of learning more about the minor league system than the (approximately) nothing I already know, do you consider this cautiousness to be a good thing? Around the beginning of June each season we inevitably hear the grumblings on the board about how players who have "proven themselves" aren't being promoted in a timely manner.

I personally believe the Orioles can be too cautious at times with players and do not always challenge them, especially when age is an issue. Last year, I felt Arrieta spent too much time in Frederick and that Snyder should have gotten a chance at Double-A over the last six weeks of the season. You could certainly build a case that Matt Angle could have spent the last six weeks of the season at Frederick and that Mick Mattaliano spent way too much time at Delmarva.

Looking over other organizations, the Orioles seem to promote their players very slowly compared to most other organizations. I can tell you that Tillman would not have been in Double-A last year if he had been originally drafted by the Orioles. He most likely would have spent his entire 2008 at Frederick and he would be looking at his first taste of Double-A in 2009. Instead, he proved he could pitch effectively at Double-A and could be in the mix for a job in Baltimore by mid-2009 if he pitches well.

There's something to be said about stability and I do like the fact that Stockstill does not promote organizational guys just because they played at the previous level the year before unless they've earned a spot on that next team. He has been much more aggressive in bringing in quality minor league free agents like Jeff Nettles or Ryan McCarthey to fill dead spots in the organization instead of just moving up filler players who will struggle. This makes the teams better overall and allows the Orioles to not rush players that may not be ready. This was status quo when Syd Thrift was running the minor leagues through proxy farm director Don Buford.

Same plan as Arrieta? You mean put a guy that is too advanced for single A and then leave him down there way to long?

More brilliance by our MiL people! :rolleyes:

Not to be disrespectful to you, as I know you've said for a while that Arrieta should have been pushed up the system, but there are many more prospects with Matusz's prospect status that have started in A-ball to begin their career -- Price comes to mind, and he's been mentioned quite often in this same discussion. I don't think our system is in anyway stupid to take a cautious stance with any of our elite, young pitchers.

I support your idea of aggressively pushing him, but I'm okay with starting him at Frederick. So long as they promote him when he masters each level, command, etc., then starting at Frederick shouldn't hurt his development.

Same plan as Arrieta? You mean put a guy that is too advanced for single A and then leave him down there way to long?

More brilliance by our MiL people! :rolleyes:

How was he left down there too long? They would have promoted him but there was no point to move him to Bowie for four starts before the Olympics.

How was he left down there too long? They would have promoted him but there was no point to move him to Bowie for four starts before the Olympics.

Right...Arrieta would have been in Bowie if not for the Olympics. Plus it has been stated before that Arrieta is probably the most advanced pitcher (other than Matusz) in the O's system.

I talked tonight with a scout from another organization who saw Matusz in the AFL and he thinks he's major league ready right now. He thinks starting him in A-ball is too low, but according to him it doesn't matter because he's going to have success no matter what level he starts at.

Just some food for thought.

I talked tonight with a scout from another organization who saw Matusz in the AFL and he thinks he's major league ready right now. He thinks starting him in A-ball is too low, but according to him it doesn't matter because he's going to have success no matter what level he starts at.

Just some food for thought.

Wow, that's awesome to hear.

Did he go into any detail as to why he thinks that way?

Archived