The Latin Program

RZNJ

There are certainly some good stories.  Some better than others.   Let's start with the really good ones.

Stiven Acevedo (OF), Mishael Deson (CF), Moises Ramirez (3B) look really good in the FCL as hitters.  All are 19, with Acevedo and Deson starting next year still at 19 years old.    All three have some some power.  Raul Rangel at 18 (RHP) has been used carefully but has looked quite good as well.

On the not so good side, the somewhat highly heralded Luis Gonzalez has been a little disappointing and at this point looks like he'll be repeating.   Luis Ortiz, the LHP has also looked like he'll need to repeat and Luis Sanchez (RHP) had to go back down the the DSL.  All of these guys are only 18.

Erison Placencia who was the most impressive 17 year old two years ago as a SS has had a really poor season in the FCL.  It's possible some of that could be chalked up to injuries and he's started to look a little bit better lately.

In the DSL we have some intriguing 17 year olds.   The most heralded would be Samuel Basallo, the catcher and Maikol Hernandez the SS.   Basallo has been the more impressive, showing some good power and hitting cleanup lately.   Hernandez has been a little disappointing but he's been looking a little better lately.   I suspect both will be in the FCL next year.   Junior Lara just started playing.   A little (5'10) LH hitter he has done very well in just a few games but he bears watching.    Anderson Delosantos a 3B has been the best hitter in the DSL for the Orioles.   His OPS just dipped under .900.   Some other 17 year olds that bare watching are Teudis Cotorreal, Wilmer Feliciano, both outfielders, and Eruvis Castillo another 3B.    You never know who might emerge from this group but Basallo and Delosantos have been putting up the best numbers so far.

• Upvote 2

Basallo has been very impressive particularly in the power department. When a 16 year old has twice the amount of homers than anyone else on either Orioles DSL teams, that's a nice sign.

In the last ten days he's slashed .318/.773/.348/1.121 with 3 homers, a double and a walk with just three Ks in his last 22 PAs. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Basallo has been very impressive particularly in the power department. When a 16 year old has twice the amount of homers than anyone else on either Orioles DSL teams, that's a nice sign.

In the last ten days he's slashed .318/.773/.348/1.121 with 3 homers, a double and a walk with just three Ks in his last 22 PAs. 

Hate to nitpick but Basallo turned 17 on August 13th!   

He's been much better as a 17 year old too!   lol

Hey RZNJ.  I think I can shed some light on Placencia.

I saw a 2019 group photo of 4 players during the season.  Bellony looked every bit of his listed height and weight.  Already muscular.

Placentia looked smaller than his listed weight and height.  Not like a 17 year old professional athlete.  He did slap some singles and drew plenty of walks, being so short.

51 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Hey RZNJ.  I think I can shed some light on Placencia.

I saw a 2019 group photo of 4 players during the season.  Bellony looked every bit of his listed height and weight.  Already muscular.

Placentia looked smaller than his listed weight and height.  Not like a 17 year old professional athlete.  He did slap some singles and drew plenty of walks, being so short.

He's listed at 6'1" the same as Bellony.    You think he's much shorter?

It was a 2019 photo.  I saw it on this website 2 years ago.    He was nowhere near that 6'1" 170 lbs he was listed at that time.

That's why his whole game was slapping singles and drawing walks.

All his numbers are way down this year and now DeLeon plays short.  I think Placencia has been relegated to 2nd.

Understand, he was standing with real 6 footers.

All those walks he drew in 2019 confirmed my impression about his height.  Or he had the vision of a hawk.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hate to nitpick but Basallo turned 17 on August 13th!   

He's been much better as a 17 year old too!   lol

Players' ages for the season are typically determined by their age as of June 30th. Yes, he's 17 but he's playing his 16 year old season which makes his performance that much more impressive. Him and Bucce are the same age and the youngest players playing for either O's DSL teams.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Players' ages for the season are typically determined by their age as of June 30th. Yes, he's 17 but he's playing his 16 year old season which makes his performance that much more impressive. Him and Bucce are the same age and the youngest players playing for either O's DSL teams.

We agree.  Very impressive.   You can't have it all but I sure wish Luis Gonzalez was putting up better numbers in the FCL.   Not as worried about Maikol Hernandez in the DSL just yet.