Jahmai Jones so far

interloper

The first 25 AB have not been great (.332 OPS), but a few of those 9 Ks should be walks with a non-brainless umpire back there. 1 double, 1 RBI. Obviously far too early to say anything, but I also can't say I'm that surprised given that he wasn't hitting well in AAA.

That said, he should have a better bat than Richie Martin and on that alone he deserves to get a look. I actually think he's been fine defensively, but it's also too early to say much there.

Mainly just wanted to start a thread as we track his September. Is he going to be a piece? I have my doubts, but I don't hate his ABs so far despite the lack of results.

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

The first 25 AB have not been great (.332 OPS), but a few of those 9 Ks should be walks with a non-brainless umpire back there. 1 double, 1 RBI. Obviously far too early to say anything, but I also can't say I'm that surprised given that he wasn't hitting well in AAA.

That said, he should have a better bat than Richie Martin and on that alone he deserves to get a look. I actually think he's been fine defensively, but it's also too early to say much there.

Mainly just wanted to start a thread as we track his September. Is he going to be a piece? I have my doubts, but I don't hate his ABs so far despite the lack of results.

One thing is he doesn't seem to expand the zone, seems fairly patient at the plate.  With that said, he did swing at a pretty bad pitch on a 2-0 count and popped up.  

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Great post.  I have no qualms with his play so far. 

I thought the defense (or lack thereof) was what prevented the Orioles from promoting him sooner. To me, he’s very athletic and rangy for a guy who looks so solidly built. 

Now, the bat? That’s another story, but he looks better than Martin just standing in the box. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I thought the defense (or lack thereof) was what prevented the Orioles from promoting him sooner. To me, he’s very athletic and rangy for a guy who looks so solidly built. 

Now, the bat? That’s another story, but he looks better than Martin just standing in the box. 

That was just idle chit chat on a message board.   We don't really know.

14 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It was reported by Roch a few times. So no, it wasn’t just idle chit chat on a message board.

You could be right but a lot of what Roch reports is his own idle chit chat.   He had Jones possibly being promoted in May so that would go against the defense needing to improve before a callup.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You could be right but a lot of what Roch reports is his own idle chit chat.   He had Jones possibly being promoted in May so that would go against the defense needing to improve before a callup.

Well, it was also talked about by Jon Meoli in the Sun, Joe Trezza on Twitter, Dan Connolly and Steve Melewski. Guess Roch has multiple personalities.

I haven’t been impressed with his defense.   Game I went to he made a good diving stop of a ball in the 1B hole and got up in time to make a throw, but the throw had no zip on it at all and the runner beat it by a half step.    

Last night, Vlad Jr. hit a ball to the left side of 2B.   To me it was clearly Mateo’s ball, but Jones cut him off and tried to throw while heading completely the wrong direction, and the beefy Guerrero beat the throw pretty easily.  

I’ve also seen a couple of DP feeds that either were slow to get out of his hands, or didn’t have enough pace.   

Diverting from Jones for a minute, this has been the worst Orioles team at turning DP’s that I’ve seen in a long time.  Their 80 DPs are last in the league, and 25 below league average.  I feel like I see DPs squandered not due to errors but just slow or imprecise execution a couple of times a week.   It’s not totally surprising considering the revolving door we’ve had at SS and 2B, but it’s irritating.  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I haven’t been impressed with his defense.   Game I went to he made a good diving stop of a ball in the 1B hole and got up in time to make a throw, but the throw had no zip on it at all and the runner beat it by a half step.    

Last night, Vlad Jr. hit a ball to the left side of 2B.   To me it was clearly Mateo’s ball, but Jones cut him off and tried to throw while heading completely the wrong direction, and the beefy Guerrero beat the throw pretty easily.  

I’ve also seen a couple of DP feeds that either were slow to get out of his hands, or didn’t have enough pace.   

Diverting from Jones for a minute, this has been the worst Orioles team at turning DP’s that I’ve seen in a long time.  Their 80 DPs are last in the league, and 25 below league average.  I feel like I see DPs squandered not due to errors but just slow or imprecise execution a couple of times a week.   It’s not totally surprising considering the revolving door we’ve had at SS and 2B, but it’s irritating.  

Double whammy of how great we had it with Manny, Hardy, and Schoop all together 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

I saw him make one fine play yesterday but his throws don’t seem to be accurate or strong. I supposed he’s better than some of our other options, and he’s minimum wage, but he’s not a piece for the future. I don’t expect him to be here next September.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Much of what defines good defense is in the details. What I loved most about the 2014 team was that they were so clean. I don’t think Jones is sloppy in the way that Villar was sloppy, He just doesn’t seem to be very good on defense.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I saw him make one fine play yesterday but his throws don’t seem to be accurate or strong. I supposed he’s better than some of our other options, and he’s minimum wage, but he’s not a piece for the future. I don’t expect him to be here next September.

Betting against prospects is a winning play.   Too soon for me to make the same judgement on a 24 year old and did some nice things at Norfolk.