Praise for Severino

wildcard

Just now, wildcard said:

Tampa has a option on Zunino for 2022.

Great. He's the frontline guy. Not a backup. 

The O's backup next year will likely be an experienced guy who barely hits but knows how to read hitters and call a game. That will help Adley more than a guy who might get 2 more hits in a month.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting.  

So he can only play him against pitchers that he's got a history of hitting against (not a lot of options there, given his career stats) and you'd bat him against lefties when AR was had an OPS of 1.200 against LHP earlier this year.

Sure, AR is playing 1B or DHing 1/3 of the time.   The idea is that AR will hit better if he only catches 2/3s of the time.

7 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

The O's backup next year will likely be an experienced guy who barely hits but knows how to read hitters and call a game. That will help Adley more than a guy who might get 2 more hits in a month.

I don't think catchers do a lot of game planning anymore.  I think they are provided with gameplans on how to approach the hitters.  I think there is still some value in the stuff you are talking about but not as much.

4 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Severino has 4 years of experience catching in the majors and his problem as a catcher is not calling a game. Its blocking pitches.  Which I think is because he gets  so beat up catching that it makes him not move well.  If he only catches 50ish games he should not be as hurt and move better.  Watching Severino move lately he has been doing pretty well.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think catchers do a lot of game planning anymore.  I think they are provided with gameplans on how to approach the hitters.  I think there is still some value in the stuff you are talking about but not as much.

Could be but there are catchers known as good teachers/mentors. That could help Adley a whole lot more than a guy who bloops one more hit here and there.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Severino has 4 years of experience catching in the majors and his problem as a catcher is not calling a game. Its blocking pitches.  Which I think is because he gets  so beat up catching that it makes him not move well.  If he only catches 50ish games he should not be as hurt and move better.  Watching Severino move lately he has been doing pretty well.

Sorry to disagree. I know you feel strongly about this. I think he winds up non-tendered and a strong defensive guy is signed in late January. 

Just now, oldfan said:

I know it's next year but, who sits when Adley plays 1B or is DH, Mountcastle or Mancini? An asset can't sit on a bad team, must be moved to upgrade roster.

Mountcastle rarely.  Mancini more often.  Trey has shown in the last month that he wears down during the season.   He could use more time off so he does get as tired.

One of the things about a winning team is that they have good players to step in when the starters need rest or are injured.  That has been a big problem for the O's to this point.  If the O's want to move up in the AL East they have to have depth.

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Sorry to disagree. I know you feel strongly about this. I think he winds up non-tendered and a strong defensive guy is signed in late January. 

OK.  We are just talking here.  We will see how it goes.  I am just looking for a better alternative to Severino which I have not seen yet.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Mountcastle rarely.  Mancini more often.  Trey has shown in the last month that he wears down during the season.   He could use more time off so he does get as tired.

One of the things about a winning team is that they have good players to step in when the starters need rest or are injured.  That has been a big problem for the O's to this point.  If the O's want to move up in the AL East they have to have depth.

Given what he went through just last year, he wasn’t expected to be on a Cal Ripken streak this season. He should have a full off season to recover and prepare with less on his mind, so he should be stronger next season.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Are the Giants going to bring back Curt Casali?  If not, he's a guy I wouldn't mind seeing.  And he's making $516K this year.

Best suggestion yet.  He is making 1.5m this year and will be arbitration eligible.  But the Giants probably let him go FA because  1st rounder Joey Bart has had a good year at AAA.   

Casali looks like he has a below average arm. He had  TJ surgery in college which weakened his  arm which has plus before the injury.

From Wiki:

On January 4, 2021, Casali signed a one-year, $1.5 million contract with the San Francisco Giants,[28] to serve as the primary backup to catcher Buster Posey. During April 2021, Casali caught team shutouts in five consecutive starts (non-consecutive games). He became just the fifth catcher since 1900 with at least five straight team shutouts in his starts, and the first to do so with five different starting pitchers.

I'd say that the biggest problem with Casali is that he has little knowledge of AL hitters.   He has played in NL since 2018.  If experience with AL hitters is what he is supposed to give Adley he has not played there much since 2016.

42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't bring Mancini back.  Mountcastle is a younger and cheaper version.

I don't see the O's having anyone to replace him at DH in their organization for 2022.  They could sign him to a two year contract and trade him at the deadline next year if Stower is ready at that time.

They could trade Trey this offseason and try to pick up a middle of the lineup bat but that will probably be just as expensive as signing Trey.  If the O's want to move up in the standing they have to have a good offense.  Subtracting Trey and not add an equivalent bat would leave a hole.

Elias already should add a starter or two and a reliever or two and a 2B/3B.   Adding to the list just makes the off season harder.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Severino is not good. He has four years of experience not being good. I’ve seen him make ridiculous throws to second when no one was there, I’ve seen him juggle pitches like they were live hand grenades. I’ve seen him jog half heartedly to first on a ground ball that he might have beaten out if he had run full speed.
He is not good. He may be better than our other catcher at the moment, but he’s not good and It is almost impossible not to find a better all around catcher in the off-season. We might not find somebody who hits as well as his-checking fangraphs-80 WRC, But I think we will easily find somebody who is a better all around catcher. If we nontender him and then re-sign him to a minor-league contract, I am quite fine with that, But I oppose giving him any more than that.