Clearing Roster space, October

HowAboutThat

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I would add Greene, Krehbiel, Watkins, Ciuffo, and  Bannon to the list.

Severino are Fry are consideration for non tender in November. But I am not sure how they turns out.

I believe Stewart will be protected on the 40 man but could be traded later.

Jones stays IMO.

All the names you mention are in danger, but they probably aren’t the first wave.

Something serious happened to Fry. He had the most drastic “fall off a Cliff” I’ve ever seen.

Stewart has no trade value except possible for “cash considerations” or similar.

Severino is one of the worst catchers in MLB. Someone will pick him up for league minimum or an incentive-laden deal, but he’s not going to get an arbitration contract.

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Stewart 2022 is the kind of guy I would have liked us to pursue when we were in year one or two of our rebuild. With Mullins, Hays, Santander, Mountcastle, Mancini, Stowers, McKenna, Neustrom, etc, I don't see how he fits with us next year. And I agree Jones doesn't belong on this list. 

Why not? His bad defense is ok if he can hit but he can’t hit and his defense was awful. Even on some of the plays he made successfully, the throw to first was so weak the runner almost beat it out. It was amazing to watch how lazily the ball came out of the glove and was thrown, and I saw several plays like that.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Hays and Santander are injury prone.  Moncastle and Mancini will probably never play the outfield again.  Stowers and Neustrom begin 2022 in AAA.  McKenna can't hit a ML fastball.  I am not saying that Stewart will be on the 2022 team but he is not eligible for arbitration yet and he has an option left.

“Stewart is terrible on both sides of the ball” is more significant than anything you have written here. McKenna is more valuable because he can run and glove, and is a competent 4OF. Stewart is like Jones. If he could hit well or glove well that would be ok, but he can’t.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Why not? His bad defense is ok if he can hit but he can’t hit and his defense was awful. Even on some of the plays he made successfully, the throw to first was so weak the runner almost beat it out. It was amazing to watch how lazily the ball came out of the glove and was thrown, and I saw several plays like that.

He can’t hit? He had 67 at bats. Yeah his defense at 2B isn’t going to cut it, but we have to give prospects time to develop. Not exposing him to the rule V is a ridiculously easy decision, particularly given our 40 man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

He can’t hit? He had 67 at bats. Yeah his defense at 2B isn’t going to cut it, but we have to give prospects time to develop. Not exposing him to the rule V is a ridiculously easy decision, particularly given our 40 man. 

Well I’m willing to give him some time, but there’s going to be some real competition and Urias hits better and defends better, Mateo defends better and currently hits better, so they are both superior at the moment. I don’t think any of our DFA guys are going to palpitate any hearts on other teams, so there’s little risk of losing him and even if we did, it’s hard to consider it a great loss.

• Upvote 1

I could see Stewart sticking around and being given like a month or so like Rio Ruiz was. He will be making the league minimum again. I think Diaz, Stowers, and Neustrom will all begin 2022 in Norfolk so there’s his opportunity. If one of them is banging on the door for a chance in May, so be it. 

2 catchers, Mountcastle, Urias, SS, 3B, Mateo, Mancini, Mullins, Hays, Santander, McKenna, Stewart. 13 position players? Did the team typically carry 12 or 13? 

15 hours ago, Philip said:

Jones is a terrible defender but it was going to be an ok trade off because he was supposed to hit, but he hasn’t hit either. With both Urias and Mateo available, he can safely be Designated and out-righted to AAA.

Based on my limited observations of Jones, I didn’t think he looked too bad defensively.    Rdrs had him at -1, Rtot at 0,  UZR -0.8, OAA -5.    So three of those say he’s slightly below average, but OAA really doesn’t like him.  From what I saw, he’s pretty athletic, has a below average but not terrible arm, and was much more natural and instinctive at playing 2B than I’d expected based on reports while he was in the minors.   

He hit decently in AAA (.768 OPS), poorly in the majors in a small sample size (.402).   I don’t think he’d be my Plan A at 2B, but I haven’t written him off completely either.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

I could see Stewart sticking around and being given like a month or so like Rio Ruiz was. He will be making the league minimum again. I think Diaz, Stowers, and Neustrom will all begin 2022 in Norfolk so there’s his opportunity. If one of them is banging on the door for a chance in May, so be it. 

2 catchers, Mountcastle, Urias, SS, 3B, Mateo, Mancini, Mullins, Hays, Santander, McKenna, Stewart. 13 position players? Did the team typically carry 12 or 13? 

I think its a mistake to stick Mateo in a utility role and not give him everyday at bats.  At least to start the season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Philip said:

Well I’m willing to give him some time, but there’s going to be some real competition and Urias hits better and defends better, Mateo defends better and currently hits better, so they are both superior at the moment. I don’t think any of our DFA guys are going to palpitate any hearts on other teams, so there’s little risk of losing him and even if we did, it’s hard to consider it a great loss.

Being on the 40 man doesn’t mean he’s going to start every day. He shouldn’t even be in Baltimore to start the year. But you don’t let him go for nothing. That’s stupid

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Being on the 40 man doesn’t mean he’s going to start every day. He shouldn’t even be in Baltimore to start the year. But you don’t let him go for nothing. That’s stupid

No it’s not, if a guy can’t hit or defend there’s no harm in letting him go for nothing. But I’m not suggesting that anyway I’m suggesting that he be removed from the 40 man and outrighted.

The comment was made that he deserves more of an audition, and I don’t disagree with that, but two guys who are better are ahead of him, So his spot should be the most vulnerable of the three.

Jones is obviously not close to being on the chopping block but he certainly has to show he can hit or he won’t be here for long.

Watkins clearly goes before him.

But the overall premise is correct.  The Orioles can get rid of almost half their 40 man roster and it not matter…and that’s pretty pathetic for a team this far into a rebuild.

The good news is that it allows for a lot of movement and when they need to add the 5-8 guys they need to protect from the 40 man, it won’t be much of a problem to do it and no one like a Zach Pop should be exposed to the rule 5 draft.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

No it’s not, if a guy can’t hit or defend there’s no harm in letting him go for nothing. But I’m not suggesting that anyway I’m suggesting that he be removed from the 40 man and outrighted.

You do realize that once you DFa him, any team can pick him up for free, right?

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You do realize that once you DFa him, any team can pick him up for free, right?

Yes I do realize that and I also said, and perhaps you missed that, that if we lose him, it’s no loss. None of the guys that are in danger of being designated would be any loss if we lose them. None. If we lose Stewart, or Wade, or Wynns or Abad or etc, no one will lose a wink of sleep. And that applies to Jones as well.