Clearing Roster space, October

HowAboutThat

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Does anyone know about Nick Cuiffo’s status? Is he a free agent at the end of the World Series, arb eligible, or what?

Ciuffo is on the 40 man roster.  Not eligible for arbitration yet.  He has 3 options left so the can send him to the minors if they want while keeping him on the 40 man.   The question is do the O's value him enough to keep him on the 40 man roster.  They would have to put  him on waivers to get him off the 40 man roster.  If he clears waivers he is eligible to be a minor league FA if he declares.    At that point the O's would have to sign him to keep in the organization.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wildcard said:

You mean like they did with Grayson?

Pitchers are different, especially after the COVID loss of 2020. And they may have lost confidence in AAA pitching coach Steenstra. And he did move up one level from Aberdeen earlier. Grayson is 21, Dorrian is 25. 

Bottom line, I am not sure he is protected or not. That is what I said originally. I would probably not, if it was me making the decision. He is 25 yoa with one solid season in AA. At this point, I cannot say he projects to keep doing that. Perhaps they believe in him like you do and they protect him. So be it. I just think they would have moved him up if they liked him that much like Neustrom, Stowers, Rutschman and Westburg.

Roster spots are going to be tight for fringe prospects. 

1 minute ago, Jammer7 said:

Pitchers are different, especially after the COVID loss of 2020. And they may have lost confidence in AAA pitching coach Steenstra. And he did move up one level from Aberdeen earlier. Grayson is 21, Dorrian is 25. 

Bottom line, I am not sure he is protected or not. That is what I said originally. I would probably not, if it was me making the decision. He is 25 yoa with one solid season in AA. At this point, I cannot say he projects to keep doing that. Perhaps they believe in him like you do and they protect him. So be it. I just think they would have moved him up if they liked him that much like Stowers, Rutschman and Westburg.

Roster spots are going to be tight for fringe prospects. 

I’d rather have Harvey and Kriske than Dorrian. 

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ciuffo is on the 40 man roster.  Not eligible for arbitration yet.  He has 3 options left so the can send him to the minors if they want while keeping him on the 40 man.   The question is do the O's value him enough to keep him on the 40 man roster.  They would have to put  him on waivers to get him off the 40 man roster.  If he clears waivers he is eligible to be a minor league FA if he declares.    At that point the O's would have to sign him to keep in the organization.

Ciuffo is an interesting talent. They seem to like him. Do we keep Wynns and Ciuffo? Or just Wynns? Ciuffo’s track record and history of drug suspensions make for a risky 40 man keep. 

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’d rather have Harvey and Kriske than Dorrian. 

I assume it’s Hunter you want to keep? For me, that ship has sailed. All the talent in the world, and it produces no value between the lines. But maybe they see Kriske as someone who they can get something out of. I did not think much of what I saw, but that was a really small sample. I do think Krehbiel may stick around as a useful set up guy. He has some nice late action on his pitches, and a quick arm. 

The real question for me is, what does Mike Elias think of Felix Bautista, Cody Sedlock, Blaine Knight, Gray Fenter, Cameron Bishop and Nick Vespi? And does he like them more than some guys currently on the roster. I think Bautista should be protected, despite the walks. And Sedlock may have figured some things out and learned how to pitch with his off speed more. Blaine Knight looked great in AA, not so much in AAA. Fenter came on late in AA. Bishop really showed flashes before getting injured. His AFL stint should help evaluate him. Vespi is in a similar situation. A decent LH out of the pen with the uncertainty of Scott and Fry might be intriguing. 

I wouldn't do anything drastic with Hunter Harvey. I don't have super high expectations but he has been good when healthy and you never know when a pitcher with a history of injuries can turn things around. Bundy had elbow and shoulder injuries and came back to be an effective starting pitcher. Harvey has had a bunch of injuries but one was a total freak injury and they have all been different so we aren't talking about the same chronic problem. Definitely worth a 40 man spot IMO. 

I’m not going to go name by name with the bullpen pitchers that we hope we catch lightning in a bottle. I think we could and should just DFA most of them. 

I’d rather have the roster flexibility to add some position players from the waiver wire with upside. Like we did with Diplan two years ago. Like we did with Mateo. Urias too. I’ll even throw in K. Guiterrez. 

I don’t know if we have the quality of relievers to build the staff from the end of the game to the beginning like we did with Buck and Dan. 

This year was a lost year in a sense that we didn’t really find anything on the pitching side that can be a long term piece. Maybe a few guys. Very disappointing. 

It might be a good thing to sign 2-3 vets that want to start like Matt Harvey, and just push all the “prospects” back down to AAA and the pen, and let them work on things. Like Lowther, Kremer, Wells, Baumann, and Bradish. I guess Zimmerman and Akin, are what they are. 

On 10/10/2021 at 11:23 PM, Jammer7 said:

There is plenty more cuts and/or trades to come. The next group are those I think are most vulnerable for rule 5 protection and new rule 5 picks from other organizations. 

• Pedro Severino (non-tender)
  • Pat Valaika (non-tender)
  • DJ Stewart
  • Eric Hanhold
  • Travis Lakins Sr.
  • Isaac Mattson
  • Rylan Bannon
  • Richie Martin
  • Zach Burdi

Tyler Nevin is another player that doesn't do much for me. Appears to not have a position and hit .230 at Norfolk. I think I'd rather have Bannon. 

Yusniel Diaz has to be on the list too, unfortunately. 

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Tyler Nevin is another player that doesn't do much for me. Appears to not have a position and hit .230 at Norfolk. I think I'd rather have Bannon. 

My guess is the Bannon is DFA'd, passes through waivers and is outrighted to Norfolk.

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My guess is the Bannon is DFA'd, passes through waivers and is outrighted to Norfolk.

How many guys do you think would not pass through waivers if they were designated? Especially in a time like this, where every team needs to clear Roster space for its own Prospects.

nobody wants any of the guys we might dump. One or two might be more likely to be claimed than most, but only that. And if we lose somebody, who cares? None of the guys on the bubble would be a great loss if he were claimed.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I can understand your thoughts. At first glance a month ago, I was wondering the same. I do think Nevin will hit for a bit more power and better average. He needs to get stronger.  If Mancini gets traded, Nevin could end up on the roster as a corner utility. He can play an average 1B, a tick below average LF and is said to be better than they thought at 3B.

I want to start by saying I think Bannon can hit somewhat better than he did in 2021. But his bat will not carry the rest of his game. I think Bannon’s profile is very limited at this point. He is well-below average at 2B. He is clearly not a SS, so he is strictly a 3B. Not a utility profile that Elias and Hyde like. And he is not even an average defensive 3B. At 5-07, and squatty frame, I just do not see it. To me, he has gotten too muscular and it looks like it has affected his mobility some. And other than a 10 day stretch, what did he do this year to deserve to stay on the roster? I know he was injured for some of that, but yikes. He was more or less a smaller RH version of DJ Stewart. Is Bannon better than Gutierrez? Not for me, not close. His ceiling to me would be Dan Uggla, without playing 2B. He might be a guy that gets traded in a minor deal. 

Diaz gets one more chance, I think. It may depend on his AFL stint as to his fate.