Who is the Orioles 2021 #10 prospect?

Tony-OH

Who is the Orioles 2021 #10 prospect?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Orioles 2021 #10 prospect?

• Kyle Bradish - RHP
    • Connor Norby - 2B
    • Jean Pinto - RHP
    • Drew Rom - LHP
    • Terrin Vavra - 2B

This poll is closed to new votes

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do you have to average over 95 to qualify as having an upper 90's fastball?   He may not have a Hall or Rodriguez fastball but he might be just below those guys going by the reports I read on here.

Jean Pinto just made his Delmarva debut. Was 95-97, with a 88-91 mph changeup with drop and fade, 88 mph slider, and an 83 MPH curveball. Struck out 2 of 3 batters he faced in the 1st inning. Definitely just showed up on the prospect scene!

Those veocities were off. I ended up checking and it was a very hot gun that day. He's still on the prospect scene but he's not throwing 95-97, more like 92-93.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has the most upside of anyone left outside of Basallo or maybe Makiol.  

By your justification you can’t have Norby this high either.

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do you have to average over 95 to qualify as having an upper 90's fastball?   He may not have a Hall or Rodriguez fastball but he might be just below those guys going by the reports I read on here.

Jean Pinto just made his Delmarva debut. Was 95-97, with a 88-91 mph changeup with drop and fade, 88 mph slider, and an 83 MPH curveball. Struck out 2 of 3 batters he faced in the 1st inning. Definitely just showed up on the prospect scene!

Thanks for the correction - assuming he kept that up.  The scouting reports I read said that his fastball was around 92.

An everyday second baseman(see Ramon Urias) is more valuable than Alex Wells, Josh Towers, or Tyler Wilson. I just can’t get behind pitchers that don’t have premium velocity. People will say Means, but he’s an exception, and the spider tack. 

Vavra is underrated on here. He was the prize piece in the Givens trade. He was hitting at Bowie before the injury. Nearly a .900 OPS. Everyone is a bit older than usual for their leagues because of a missed season. 

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I just can’t get behind pitchers that don’t have premium velocity.

I hear this, but also admit the benefits the Astros just enjoyed from their Latin pitching pipeline were impressive.   The four pitchers who all signed older for nearly nothing, and nearly just won them a World Series, with their percentiles in FB Velo, FB Spin, Curve Spin:

Cristian Javier     53 | 72 | 94     acquired 3.18.2015

Jose Urquidy      36 | 43 | 67      acquired 3.2.2015

Framber Valdez  35 | 33 | 92       acquired 3.18.2015

Luis Garcia           17 | 77 | 24      acquired 7.2.2017

It was Kevin Goldstein in a chat a few months back who touted that batch understandably.   2015 and 2017 are seasons B-Ref credits Mike Elias as Scouting Director, and today we're just a couple weeks shy of him hitting the 3-year mark here.   That group's success makes me a little more optimistic for Pinto (already 18 by the time he signed with LAA in May 2019), whatever the FB actually is.

• Upvote 1