The Galvis dream is over

Sports Guy

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You've also consistently said for months now that in no way should Mateo be handed a starting spot.

He shouldn’t…we should be acquiring players that are actually good.  Galvis isn’t that, so in light of a move like that, I would rather see Mateo get the chance.

I just don’t believe in lazy, stupid acquisitions just because the team tells me it’s ok and part of some bs process that isn’t necessary.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He shouldn’t…we should be acquiring players that are actually good.  Galvis isn’t that, so in light of a move like that, I would rather see Mateo get the chance.

I just don’t believe in lazy, stupid acquisitions just because the team tells me it’s ok and part of some bs process that isn’t necessary.

Galvis would’ve meant a steady glove at SS and creating competition. No point crying over spilled milk. I’m in favor of bringing in a vet to compete for SS, just probably not on a gtd MLB deal now. However, if you want to be a better club next year, then Galvis would’ve been a good pickup. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Galvis would’ve meant a steady glove at SS and creating competition. No point crying over spilled milk. I’m in favor of bringing in a vet to compete for SS, just probably not on a gtd MLB deal now. However, if you want to be a better club next year, then Galvis would’ve been a good pickup. 

I believe the O’s were 21-50 (.296) in games started by Galvis last year, 31-60 (.341) without him.   I’m not claiming cause and effect here — Galvis played decently for us.   But we can certainly live without him.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You are completely overvaluing and overrating him.

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He got the most out of his ability, but he has a very weak arm at SS and mediocre range and mediocre offense with a lifetime OPS+ of 82.  At 32, it especially didn't make sense for the O's to go after him.  

On 12/5/2021 at 9:09 PM, NCRaven said:

Wait, was anyone actually dreaming on a Galvis reunion?  I must have missed that.

Galvis gone, Oh Galvis gone!

I still see his dreadlocks flowin'

I still fear those ducks he's throwin'

He was 31 when he left, Oh my Galvis gone.

(from the song by Jimmy Webb)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/5/2021 at 3:39 PM, Aristotelian said:

He may be joining Dariel Alvarez who played some for Softbank after OPS'ing over .900 for their minor league team. 

Also with former Oriole (sort of) Tsuyoshi Wada, who has mostly been with Softbank since 2006. If you remember the O's signed him as a kind of follow-on to Koji Uehara in '12, he was about as big a star in Japan as Koji.  But immediately got hurt, came back, pitched reasonably well in Norfolk but never got a call up.  Went to the Cubs and threw 100 innings of a 3.36 before going back to Fukuoka.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Also with former Oriole (sort of) Tsuyoshi Wada, who has mostly been with Softbank since 2006. If you remember the O's signed him as a kind of follow-on to Koji Uehara in '12, he was about as big a star in Japan as Koji.  But immediately got hurt, came back, pitched reasonably well in Norfolk but never got a call up.  Went to the Cubs and threw 100 innings of a 3.36 before going back to Fukuoka.

And of course Adam Jones' Orix Buffaloes made it to the Japan Series this year. He posted some videos on his Instagram account of the pregame vibe on the field. https://www.instagram.com/simplyaj10/channel/

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And of course Adam Jones' Orix Buffaloes made it to the Japan Series this year. He posted some videos on his Instagram account of the pregame vibe on the field. https://www.instagram.com/simplyaj10/channel/

I follow Jones on Twitter and he posts sometimes about life in Japan, all the good food and various other things.  Looks like he's enjoying the twilight of his career over there.  I think this week he said he's vacationing in the Maldives.

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I follow Jones on Twitter and he posts sometimes about life in Japan, all the good food and various other things.  Looks like he's enjoying the twilight of his career over there.  I think this week he said he's vacationing in the Maldives.

He also has a podcast he does with his brother in law.   I’ve never listened to it but it’s probably interesting.   https://www.heckledeez.com

• Upvote 1