Which of the remaining Free Agents are the best fit for the O's?

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, saying we can’t compete because of our division is an excuse and cowardly.   That doesn’t mean you don’t consider the division you are in…and in fact, many of my arguments do just that.

Look, if you want to try to “get me”, you could at least make an attempt to represent my arguments correctly.

Nobody has ever said we can 't compete because of our division.  Ever.  Literally.

That's your problem, sportsguy, nobody is trying to "get you."  They're engaging in conversation with you, and you flip like a fish; them noticing it is not their problem.

I mean, in this thread alone, you've basically went from saying Correa's contract will be "atrocious"- the point I joined the conversation- to attempting to use the non-acquisition as yet another cudgel to tell the board about how much better you could do the job than the professionals.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The FO shares your perspective because it’s what ownership wants.

If the lockout ended tonight and they signed Correa and added a good starter tomorrow, there is no way you would be on here bashing them.  

Well, I've already said Correa makes a lot of sense.  So if they signed him I'd be fine with it.  It would depend on the pitcher and the contract whether I'd like that.  

And you're not incorrect.  I'd probably disagree with how they spent the money in an ideal world, but if ownership showed a willingness to maintain a high ML payroll, while still trying to build a cutting edge system and the money that goes into that, I'd cheer that on.

I just don't see that happening.  So I choose to ponder about the world that actually exists.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

And I'm answering.

Kinda.

You are also accusing me of things I didn't say.

Are you OK with the O's deviating from the course if it looks as if the current strategy isn't going to pan out even if it means accepted elevated levels of risk?  Or would you rather lay low, recycle the roster and hope for lightning to strike?  Maybe a huge selloff and slashed payroll so they can save money for when they are good is an idea they could try?

Or do you have a different plan if things don't work out? 

I don't see how they can get the pitching to line up with the hitters to create a window with the present roster. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kinda.

You are also accusing me of things I didn't say.

Are you OK with the O's deviating from the course if it looks as if the current strategy isn't going to pan out even if it means accepted elevated levels of risk?  Or would you rather lay low, recycle the roster and hope for lightning to strike?  Maybe a huge selloff and slashed payroll so they can save money for when they are good is an idea they could try?

Or do you have a different plan if things don't work out? 

I don't see how they can get the pitching to line up with the hitters to create a window with the present roster. 

You're also not responding to the things I write.  But instead posing a serious of rhetorical questions.

You could go back and respond to my previous post past the first line.

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Nobody has ever said we can 't compete because of our division.  Ever.  Literally.

That's your problem, sportsguy, nobody is trying to "get you."  They're engaging in conversation with you, and you flip like a fish; them noticing it is not their problem.

I mean, in this thread alone, you've basically went from saying Correa's contract will be "atrocious"- the point I joined the conversation- to attempting to use the non-acquisition as yet another cudgel to tell the board about how much better you could do the job than the professionals.

Plenty of people blame our division and schedule and say it stops us.  If you don’t see that, try reading.

Your last paragraph is moronic.  I mentioned Correa because of the Q&A posted.  I think his contract will be atrocious.  The contract he gets will be regrettable and I wouldn’t sign him to it.  How is that, in any way, trying to say I can do a better job?  That’s just stupidity.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, I've already said Correa makes a lot of sense.  So if they signed him I'd be fine with it.  It would depend on the pitcher and the contract whether I'd like that.  

And you're not incorrect.  I'd probably disagree with how they spent the money in an ideal world, but if ownership showed a willingness to maintain a high ML payroll, while still trying to build a cutting edge system and the money that goes into that, I'd cheer that on.

I just don't see that happening.  So I choose to ponder about the world that actually exists.

Yea, of course you would..because you are a sheep.  You will back whatever they do and then act as if that is where you have been all along.  It’s laughable.  You don’t have any actual thoughts of your own.  You just go with what they say and then latch onto it. 

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

You're also not responding to the things I write.  But instead posing a serious of rhetorical questions.

You could go back and respond to my previous post past the first line.

I did?

I'm asking questions about what you would do if the rebuild was showing signs of not working over a period of years.  I didn't say 2023.  Heck make it 2025 if you want, or 2027. 

Was nice of you to call my questions serious. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Plenty of people blame our division and schedule and say it stops us.  If you don’t see that, try reading.

Your last paragraph is moronic.  I mentioned Correa because of the Q&A posted.  I think his contract will be atrocious.  The contract he gets will be regrettable and I wouldn’t sign him to it.  How is that, in any way, trying to say I can do a better job?  That’s just stupidity.

I personally have made the argument in the past, and was ridiculed by YOU for it, that we would have to have different strategy because of the division we played in.  And yet nobody has literally ever said we cannot compete in this division.

Which was what you just claimed.

So here we are, and you're saying..... what exactly?  Correa is going to sign a terrible contract, but Correa is the kind of guy we should criticize the FO for not signing, because you know you have to hit on a 16 sometimes, because of the division we play in?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I did?

I'm asking questions about what you would do if the rebuild was showing signs of not working over a period of years.  I didn't say 2023.  Heck make it 2025 if you want, or 2027. 

Was nice of you to call my questions serious. 

I expect the team to start winning more games from this point on.  What that looks like remains to be seen.

If there is a deviation from that, then I will start reevaluating.  

14 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I personally have made the argument in the past, and was ridiculed by YOU for it, that we would have to have different strategy because of the division we played in.  And yet nobody has literally ever said we cannot compete in this division.

So here we are, and you're saying..... what exactly?  Correa is going to sign a terrible contract, but Correa is the kind of guy we should criticize the FO for not signing, because you know you have to hit on a 16 sometimes, because of the division we play in?

I never said anything about criticizing the FO for not signing Correa.  Are you this delusional in person?  I even said the deal I would sign him to would never be approved and that it was just for discussion purposes.  

How is that bashing them for not signing him?  Show me where I’m bashing them.  Prove it.

And yea, people consistently complain about the division and the schedule and use it as a crutch for not contending.  But of course you consider the division when it comes to what you need to do to build a consistent contender.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

There's been plenty of whining over the years on this board about the division.  Maybe not the exact words that "we cannot compete in this division," but similar sentiments.  How can we compete with the payrolls of Boston and NYY, etc.  Calling for re-alignment, etc.  It's been a theme on here for a long time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's been plenty of whining over the years on this board about the division.  Maybe not the exact words that "we cannot compete in this division," but similar sentiments.  How can we compete with the payrolls of Boston and NYY, etc.  Calling for re-alignment, etc.  It's been a theme on here for a long time.

It undoubtedly makes it more difficult.  I've made the argument in the past.  And was told I was making "excuses."  It would be pretty difficult for anyone over the age of 10 to make the argument we can't compete in this division; considering we made the playoffs 3 times in a 5 year span within the last decade.  So, yeah, exact words or not, few have ever made that claim.

To then use the idea that our division makes it more difficult to compete to justify signing a FA, who you believe is going to sign an "atrocious" deal, is odd.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I never said anything about criticizing the FO for not signing Correa.  Are you this delusional in person?  I even said the deal I would sign him that would never be approved and that it was just for discussion purposes.  

How is that bashing them for not signing him?  Show me where I’m bashing them.  Prove it.

And yea, people consistently complain about the division and the schedule and use it as a crutch for not contending.  But of course you consider the division when it comes to what you need to do to build a consistent contender.

You don't bash them for not signing Correa.  You're far more subtle.  LOL.

You bash them for not "spending any money."

But when presented with what an actual sensible FA costs, you balk at it, and call the contract atrocious.

You sound like Peter Angelos.  That would make sense.

Didn't you shine his shoes once?

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It undoubtedly makes it more difficult.  I've made the argument in the past.  And was told I was making "excuses."  It would be pretty difficult for anyone over the age of 10 to make the argument we can't compete in this division; considering we made the playoffs 3 times in a 5 year span within the last decade.  So, yeah, exact words or not, few have ever made that claim.

To then use the idea that our division makes it more difficult to compete to justify signing a FA, who you believe is going to sign an "atrocious" deal, is odd.

I'd argue that we made the playoffs 3 times in a 5 year span when the aforementioned teams weren't particularly good.  

In regards to what you and SG are debating, I can't even make sense of it anymore.