The Athletic: First Moves AL Teams Should Make After Lockout Ends

connja

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure, assuming that the Dodgers cut him.  He wouldn't come to a losing franchise though.

Look at SG trying to start static on the board by suggesting a player he knows 90% of the people are going to be revolted by!  

I don’t really know where I would stand on him.

He has been cleared of any criminal wrong doing. 

Is that enough?  I personally don’t care if he and the women that he sleeps with are into weird stuff in the bedroom.  That’s none of my business.

I don’t know but maybe it represents a good buy low opportunity?  I think he was overpaid by the Dodgers but at a far lesser price, maybe it’s worth the shot?  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t really know where I would stand on him.

He has been cleared of any criminal wrong doing. 

Is that enough?  I personally don’t care if he and the women that he sleeps with are into weird stuff in the bedroom.  That’s none of my business.

I don’t know but maybe it represents a good buy low opportunity?  I think he was overpaid by the Dodgers but at a far lesser price, maybe it’s worth the shot?  

I'd take 25 satan worshippers if it meant winning.  I really don't care.

51 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd take 25 satan worshippers if it meant winning.  I really don't care.

I think “cleared” might be the wrong way of putting it.  Not having enough evidence to bring charges isn’t the same as saying he definitively did nothing wrong.

21 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Man, WYC was such a lightning-in-a-bottle move, ~$5 million a year for a solid mid-rotation SP. Our luck with FA pitchers has been so bad for so long that it's still kind of hard to believe that deal worked out as well as it did for us.

Extremely under rated player. I think we massively took him for granted and continue to underestimate his contribution to our 2012-16 success.

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I think “cleared” might be the wrong way of putting it.  Not having enough evidence to bring charges isn’t the same as saying he definitively did nothing wrong.

That's not how it works in this country.  Thank God.

He's under no need to prove his innocence.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Very true.  Furthermore, through its domestic violence policy, MLB still can punish him regardless of any DA's decision to prosecute or not.

From today's Washington Post:

The Dodgers paid Bauer the highest single-year salary in major league history — roughly $38 million — last season despite him missing half of it, and he is still under contract for two more years. MLB officials have been awaiting a legal resolution to Bauer’s case before deciding on what, if any, suspension they will levy.

MLB and the Dodgers declined to comment Tuesday. “MLB’s investigation is ongoing, and we will comment further at the appropriate time,” a spokesperson for MLB said.

Should he become available, I say step around this guy like he was a steaming, fresh canine byproduct left on the sidewalk.

• Upvote 1

Bowden is not wrong here in concept, but I dont like the contract.  His valuation is $24 million per year but there is a lot of risk.  I would make it a 2-3 year deal but not at that at annual salary.  If you can get out the door under $50 million for 3 years thats not terrible.

The Orioles need to start spending at some point.  

15 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

No interest in Bauer. Regardless of his off field issues, his own teammates did not want him to come back. I would not want that in our clubhouse. 

Well they also didn’t know all the facts either.  If there was nothing criminally wrong with what he did (ie he didn’t beat her or rape her), would they feel differently?

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well they also didn’t know all the facts either.  If there was nothing criminally wrong with what he did (ie he didn’t beat her or rape her), would they feel differently?

I also couldn't care less what a roster that contains maybe 8-10 future pieces says

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I am guessing they had reasons to dislike him and not want him in the clubhouse regardless of the allegations and facts. The report was they didn't want him back in any circumstances regardless of how the case turns out. I am also guessing they know all of the facts.