What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Anthony Santander?

Frobby

What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Anthony Santander?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Anthony Santander?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/22 at 22:13

Today’s poll subject is Anthony Santander.  Two years ago, he posted an .890 OPS in 37 games before getting hurt.  Last year, hobbled by various injuries, he posted a .720 OPS in 104 games.   For his career, his OPS is .744.   What’s your OPS projection for 2022?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think he'll get in the high 700s- held back by his OBP issues.

Him having a monster year and being able to be flipped in August for some legit talent would be an ideal scenario.

+1, I went with .760-.799. He and Mancini are the ones to watch for trade value. I hope they start hot so they can get us some pitching help when Stowers is ready. 

• Upvote 1

He's really hard to project.  I don't think he was healthy at any point last season, and I got the impression that he didn't buy into hitting to the opposite field as much as he should have.  I think he needs to stay healthy and  be the hitting coach's pet project in order to live up to his potential - which I think is very high.    

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Should have dealt him after 2020 but he can recover his trade value if he can stay healthy.  Problem is, he probably won’t stay healthy.

How moronic do you think ML GMs are that they would have been fooled by 39 games which ended, predictably, in season ending injury?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

+1, I went with .760-.799. He and Mancini are the ones to watch for trade value. I hope they start hot so they can get us some pitching help when Stowers is ready. 

I don't expect a ton for either, but it's possible if Santander is having a strong season he could get something with some future value.

I probably voted with more optimism than is warranted. I do think he could be in the .850 range, though. Honestly, he could be a .700 guy, and he could equally be a .900 guy. It is a strange case for me because he has shown improvements that could sustain excellent performance and then he reverts back to what happened in 2021.

Many things go into what will happen for Tony. First, he needs to take his conditioning very seriously. I think he gained too much weight last year, and it helped him break down physically. Second, he need to show the improved plate discipline he showed in 2020. Third, he needs to stay healthy and continue to play through more minor bumps and bruises. 

7 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I probably voted with more optimism than is warranted. I do think he could be in the .850 range, though. Honestly, he could be a .700 guy, and he could equally be a .900 guy. It is a strange case for me because he has shown improvements that could sustain excellent performance and then he reverts back to what happened in 2021.

Many things go into what will happen for Tony. First, he needs to take his conditioning very seriously. I think he gained too much weight last year, and it helped him break down physically. Second, he need to show the improved plate discipline he showed in 2020. Third, he needs to stay healthy and continue to play through more minor bumps and bruises. 

I don’t think he can be a 900 guy with his poor OBP.  850 is the high end imo.    His most likely upside is 830ish.

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

They would be moronic to overvalue him based on 39 games and coming off a season-ending injury.

His value isn't material lower now than then.  It's always been middling.

Who said they had to overvalue him?

My suggestion at the time was something like a top 10 guy and a top 15 guy..say something like Bradish and Pinto or something like that.

For his service time, age and upside, that’s a reasonable return and not an overvalue.  Even now, you could argue that it’s a fair deal even with his injuries although I think the chances of you getting that deal before 2021 are greater than today.