What is Elias' plan to contend and what should it be?

LookinUp

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It is because of their intl signings but so what?  That’s the point.  There are lots of ways to build a good farm system and losing on purpose isn’t needed to do it.

I don’t even understand why people are pushing back on this.  It’s not like I’m coming up with some crazy opinion that I can’t support.  This is just a fact. 

Isn't is obvious that you can build far more quickly and easily with $500 or $600M in annual revenues than with $250M?   The Orioles are $150M behind the Yanks in payroll, but $400M behind in revenues. 

Really I don't care.  If they win 60 games this year, okay.  If they win 70, okay.  When they start to look competitive, whatever year that is, I'll try to figure out how to stream games mostly legally.  I'm with Moose.  I'm done losing my mind about this stuff.  The world will go on.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No it’s not.  The Orioles were a garbage farm system for years.  They made everything difficult and drafting higher didn’t help them.

Having a good farm system is hard if you are dumb and don’t do things properly.  That’s it.  That’s the reason it’s hard.  Sure guys dont pan out or get hurt but every team deals with that.  It’s about keeping with it and doing the smart things.  We know the Os didn’t do that for years.

You're being obtuse on this one point.

Take two equally smart twins. Give one $5 million and the other $10 million. Tell them to buy widgets.

Which one is more likely to end up with the more valuable widget collection?

If you argue it's equal, you're not very smart.

Just now, LookinUp said:

Take two equally smart twins. Give one $5 million and the other $10 million. Tell them to buy widgets.

The counter argument is that the small teams sometimes outsmart the big ones for a while.  Rays now. Orioles in the 70s and 80s.  Others of course.  But it almost always just for a while, and it's never a model that you just adopt and magically start winning.  It's hard to go from bad to good.  If it was easy everyone would do it all the time.

15 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Lol..this is a terrible analogy.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've yet to see anyone say on here that we have to lose for several years in order to build a long term winner.  I've seen comparisons to Houston, but that's all they are...comparisons.  I don't think I've actually seen anyone advocating for this team to lose for years on end to build a really good farm system.

I have seen people acknowledge that the team will suck, that they will likely lose 100 games and if so, well, go all in on the tank.  IMO, that's just being realistic with where the team is.  I've seen people advocate for tanking down the stretch to get the #1 pick and I've got no real issues with that. 

Crazy for supporting a garbage product again in 2022?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you start a thread on how they're handling Opening Day tickets?  You're not seriously going to support this garbage product by gracing OPACY with your presence, are you?  

I’m taking my kids and OD is different.  Will I go to any other games?  Not sure.  Depends on how into they get.  

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m taking my kids and OD is different.  Will I go to any other games?  Not sure.  Depends on how into they get.  

Ah, but you're still supporting the team by forking over your hard earned dollars and lining the pockets of the Angelos tribe by throwing your kids under the bus and saying OD is different.  

Letting your kids grow up to be Orioles fans?  Shame on you, SG.  Get 'em on a winning path.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Ah, but you're still supporting the team by forking over your hard earned dollars and lining the pockets of the Angelos tribe by throwing your kids under the bus and saying OD is different.  

Letting your kids grow up to be Orioles fans?  Shame on you, SG.  Get 'em on a winning path.

Actually, my tickets are free

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Actually, my tickets are free

Yeah, but you're still gonna spend money there, hombre.  Look at you, criticizing others for supporting the team and then going on Opening Day without a care in the world acting like the parameters on which you judge others aren't applicable to you.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, but you're still gonna spend money there, hombre.  Look at you, criticizing others for supporting the team and then going on Opening Day without a care in the world acting like the parameters on which you judge others aren't applicable to you.  

Because you are acting dumb, I’m going to keep up with this game.

Where did I say people can’t support the team?

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Rules for thee but not for me

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Because you are acting dumb, I’m going to keep up with this game.

Where did I say people can’t support the team?

You called people crazy for supporting this garbage product in 2022.  But I never said that you said that people can't support the team.  You just called people crazy for doing so.

I'm just busting your balls a little bit dude, stop taking everything so seriously.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

You called people crazy for supporting this garbage product in 2022.  But I never said that you said that people can't support the team.  You just called people crazy for doing so.

I'm just busting your balls a little bit dude, stop taking everything so seriously.  

I know what you are doing.  It’s what you always do because you don’t engage in normal talk.  

That said, I don’t care if people spend at the games but I do think we are all crazy for supporting a franchise that doesn’t care about us.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I know what you are doing.  It’s what you always do because you don’t engage in normal talk.  

That said, I don’t care if people spend at the games but I do think we are all crazy for supporting a franchise that doesn’t care about us.

Well if I engaged in normal talk, that'd make me like everyone else.  I'm sorry I don't treat sports message board warfare like it's a real job.  I know this is serious business for you.

Sure we're crazy for supporting this franchise.  But you could stop caring as much like Drungo and me.  It's pretty nice.