Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This does not feel right.   Catches for 5 innings.  Makes a throwing error.  DH the next game and now off.  I hope his arm is ok.

I’m concerned too.   That doesn’t sound like a normal rehab assignment.  

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

So if he doesn't play tonight we'll have confirmation of a setback. As an Oriole fan I have to expect the season ending surgery announcement eventually.

I'm trying hard not to panic. But if he's not in the line-up catching tonight...I'm pushing the button hard

The plot thickens.   Hard to believe he goes through 1 month of rehab in extending spring and his arm hurts on his first throw down to 2B.  I mean, he had to be progressing and making throws down there.    It's just too crazy to go with that theory, right?   Right?   lol

I'd like to think it was something else but that throw to 2B on the stolen base attempt was probably the worst Rutschmann has made since little leauge.

Triceps strain?   Rotator cuff?    Those are different areas.   I've never heard of a triceps injury requiring surgery.    

After the terrible luck with Kjerstad, any major injury to Rutschman would be a real sucker punch to the gut.

There were rumors that Rutschamn had shoulder issues when he showed up after being drafted and the way the team has treated him catching wise (playing him at 1B and only catching him 4 days a week last year) gives some credenence to that concern.

Now obviously we can say that the Orioles were treating him that way to keep his legs fresh, but how many other teams have done this with their catching prospects in the minors?

It is a bit concerning that he made one bad throw, came out of the game, DH'd, and then was not in the game last night. Seems a strange way to get a full healthy guy ready for game action at the major league level.

If he's not catching tonight, it's time to be very concerned.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There were rumors that Rutschamn had shoulder issues when he showed up after being drafted and the way the team has treated him catching wise (playing him at 1B and only catching him 4 days a week last year) gives some credenence to that concern.

Now obviously we can say that the Orioles were treating him that way to keep his legs fresh, but how many other teams have done this with their catching prospects in the minors?

It is a bit concerning that he made one bad throw, came out of the game, DH'd, and then was not in the game last night. Seems a strange way to get a full healthy guy ready for game action at the major league level.

I've seen a fair bit of speculation about the shoulder injury he had in HS.

I think that if anything had showed up in the physical that was a real concern it would have been reflected in the signing bonus.

It doesn't seem like the O's got any discount for added risk.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As most know I hated this pick, but if what you say is true and that he now is a catch but not throw catcher I hate it even more

Abrams, and Witt Jr are staring in the majors at 21. Vaugh is in his second ML season

Has Elias hit on a single top 5 pick? Looks like NO, meanwhile the ML team is on its way to another 110 loss season.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

As most know I hated this pick, but if what you say is true and that he now is a catch but not throw catcher I hate it even more

Abrams, and Witt Jr are staring in the majors at 21. Vaugh is in his second ML season

Has Elias hit on a single top 5 pick? Looks like NO, meanwhile the ML team is on its way to another 110 loss season.

Haha.  Kjerstad has been injured from the getgo.   Rustchman was the top 1 or 2 prospect in baseball heading into this season.  Cowser is in his first full season.   Give me a break!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

That's not on Adley, that's on Elias.

There was no reason beyond service time manipulation for him not to have been in the majors in 2021 or perhaps even 2020.

Do you think Vaughn would have been in the majors last year with Elias in charge?