Waiting for a pitch to hit

justD

So I've heard for a while now that player development has been trying to get our guys to be more selective at the plate, waiting for a pitch they can hit. 

On a post-game interview, Kevin Cash said the same about his org and added, "and then hit it - and we did."

Has anyone who's been watching our players down here on the farm seen an improvement in this?  Or is it too soon to tell?  The guys at the ML level haven't really come through this version of the system, so I'm hoping it's at least happening down here?

It's all about "swing decisions" which means they are looking for guys to make the right decision to swing on pitches they can do the most damage with. 

I have seen a difference in many of the players drafted over the last 3 years with these swing decisions. It's why you see pretty good walk totals across the board now with the Orioles affiliates. Even some of the international guys are buying in.

3 hours ago, justD said:

So I've heard for a while now that player development has been trying to get our guys to be more selective at the plate, waiting for a pitch they can hit. 

On a post-game interview, Kevin Cash said the same about his org and added, "and then hit it - and we did."

Has anyone who's been watching our players down here on the farm seen an improvement in this?  Or is it too soon to tell?  The guys at the ML level haven't really come through this version of the system, so I'm hoping it's at least happening down here?

Just in the small sample, I'd say Mateo and Mountcastle look pretty good in this regard. Not too many others stand out though. 

Just now, interloper said:

Just in the small sample, I'd say Mateo and Mountcastle look pretty good in this regard. Not too many others stand out though. 

I've been keeping an eye on Mountcastle's counts so far this year.

I'm not saying he's swinging at junk, but he sure isn't going into any deep counts.

I'm expecting teams to throw him hard to deal with pitches early in the count and see if he chases.