The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

You have to be the access holder with season tickets. I think the free water,popcorn and diet or regular Pepsi  before the game but not totally sure.

2022 Birdland Members are invited to relax in their new exclusive area located inside on the climate-controlled Club Level at Oriole Park. This brand new space provides an exclusive area for Birdland Members to cool off with a beverage, enjoy the private cash bar, and watch the game on the exclusive HDTV wall. Members are encouraged to stop by when gates open until 2 hours after the scheduled first pitch. Capacity is limited.

The benefit to me so far was during a rain delay. I didn't notice free water or soda, but then I didn't head toward the bar and had my own water at the time. But the popcorn was a continuous provision. Also, it was long after the "2 hours after the scheduled first pitch."  

I plan on getting to the next one pretty early as an experiment with parking, so that will be a good time for me to check out the pre-game spread. Thanks for the heads up on that. 

23 minutes ago, justD said:

The benefit to me so far was during a rain delay. I didn't notice free water or soda, but then I didn't head toward the bar and had my own water at the time. But the popcorn was a continuous provision. Also, it was long after the "2 hours after the scheduled first pitch."  

I plan on getting to the next one pretty early as an experiment with parking, so that will be a good time for me to check out the pre-game spread. Thanks for the heads up on that. 

Just to be clear ,my friend said the free stuff was pregame but not sure if that is adhered too.

He asks a good question.If this is good for the state to opt out then why did they wait till the Orioles told them to do it.

“For obvious reasons, the ball club asked the state to give up their interest in this, and we did,” Davis said, “and the explanation was, well, we don’t assume any of the risk and so forth. But my thing was, that didn’t really pass the smell test.”

Davis questioned why, if the risk of financial loss was a reason to opt out, the authority didn’t opt out on its own accord, rather than waiting for the Orioles to ask.

Maryland treasurer: State’s decision to let Orioles keep Paul McCartney concert revenue doesn’t pass ‘smell test’ – Baltimore Sun
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-dereck-davis-questions-msa-mccartney-decision-20220511-au26l7ibgnhvta25yrqjfb5crq-story.html

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Watching the O's get beat down isn't even exciting for Yankee fans anymore.

That was pretty much going to be the first sentence of this post.

That's part of the reason people around MLB have gotten so concerned about "tanking" teams and have looked for ways to remove or reduce the incentives for teams to cut payroll, make a nice profit, and put a really bad team on the field while gearing up to become competitive (or at least saying they are) by building up talent in their minor league systems: they're concerned about a drop in fan interest and attendance when teams that are trying to contend play teams that aren't.

If you're the Angels, you probably don't think your fans would turn out in big numbers to watch the Angels host the Omaha Storm Chasers, with a roster of guys they've never heard of, some of whom will become major leaguers and a few of whom may turn out to have good, lengthy careers. Why would you expect much more fan interest when the Angels host the Orioles, with a different bunch of guys they've never heard of, only a few of whom have had or are likely to have success in the major leagues? And if your team is breaking even or making a small profit, you might have some resentment when you see credible reports that the Orioles' owners are making a nice profit from not trying to put a winning team on the field.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

That's part of the reason people around MLB have gotten so concerned about "tanking" teams and have looked for ways to remove or reduce the incentives for teams to cut payroll, make a nice profit, and put a really bad team on the field while gearing up to become competitive (or at least saying they are) by building up talent in their minor league systems: they're concerned about a drop in fan interest and attendance when teams that are trying to contend play teams that aren't.

If you're the Angels, you probably don't think your fans would turn out in big numbers to watch the Angels host the Omaha Storm Chasers, with a roster of guys they've never heard of, some of whom will become major leaguers and a few of whom may turn out to have good, lengthy careers. Why would you expect much more fan interest when the Angels host the Orioles, with a different bunch of guys they've never heard of, only a few of whom have had or are likely to have success in the major leagues? And if your team is breaking even or making a small profit, you might have some resentment when you see credible reports that the Orioles' owners are making a nice profit from not trying to put a winning team on the field.

Plus Orioles pay lower rent  if attendance and concessions are low. So low attendance doesn't hurt them that much 

7 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Do you have any data to back this up? Teams attendance is mostly dependent on day of the week, not opponent. 

7 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Speaking of the Angels. They hosted the Orioles on a weekend in April. Here is the attendance 

Friday April 22     31,679

Sat April 23          43,883

Sun April 24          41,984

The Indians went to Anaheim the next day and played a 4 game series Mon - Thursday. Attendance 

Mon April 25        23,099

Tues April 26        22,551

Wed April 27         28,557

Thur April 28          18,826

The Angels have not had one crowd under 30K during a weekend. They have had only one crowd over 30K during the week. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Do you have any data to back this up? Teams attendance is mostly dependent on day of the week, not opponent. 

In 2019,the Orioles had eight games where they drew over 25,000.Six against the Yankees and Red Sox  and two against the other teams The two were Saturday's and probably a promotion like the Hawaiian shirt. You obviously draw more on the weekends  As only one Yankee or Red Sox game was not a weekend or Opening Day .

22 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

In 2019,the Orioles had eight games where they drew over 25,000.Six against the Yankees and Red Sox  and two against the other teams The two were Saturday's and probably a promotion like the Hawaiian shirt. You obviously draw more on the weekends  As only one Yankee or Red Sox game was not a weekend or Opening Day .

Also in 2019 the Orioles had 10 games where they drew over 15,000 during the week that were not Opening Day or a holiday  Seven against the Yankees, two against the Nationals and one against San Diego ,Manny back at Camden Yards.

Weather Day which is tomorrow drew 30,624 in 2019,also against the Yankees.

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Also in 2019 the Orioles had 10 games where they drew over 15,000 during the week that were not Opening Day or a holiday  Seven against the Yankees, two against the Nationals and one against San Diego ,Manny back at Camden Yards.

Weather Day which is tomorrow drew 30,624 in 2019,also against the Yankees.

At the end of the day how good the local team is and not who they play, in general drives attendance. In 19 the Orioles had little to no marketable players. A place like Tampa benefits when the Yanks and Red Sox are in town. They don’t draw even when they win. 

In 2016 the Orioles highest attendance average vs the 4 division opponents was Tampa Bay. All 3 times they came to town was on the weekend. 

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

At the end of the day how good the local team is and not who they play, in general drives attendance. In 19 the Orioles had little to no marketable players. A place like Tampa benefits when the Yanks and Red Sox are in town. They don’t draw even when they win. 

In 2016 the Orioles highest attendance average vs the 4 division opponents was Tampa Bay. All 3 times they came to town was on the weekend. 

I think the Yankees add a few thousand when they come in ,especially if they get a holiday weekend like this year. 32,197,28,729 and 25,938. I don't  don't  think any other team for that weekend would have been close. I remember Boston fans who would take some $39 o/w airfare  and come down or drive. Seemed  mostly from Connecticut that drove. Tough to get that fare anymore and gas is getting near $ 5.00 a gallon  Hotels much more expensive. 

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I think the Yankees add a few thousand when they come in ,especially if they get a holiday weekend like this year. 32,197,28,729 and 25,938. I don't  don't  think any other team for that weekend would have been close. I remember Boston fans who would take some $39 o/w airfare  and come down or drive. Seemed  mostly from Connecticut that drove. Tough to get that fare anymore and gas is getting near $ 5.00 a gallon  Hotels much more expensive. 

There are always different factors. That was a perfect storm. 

Most of what you are talking about is when the Orioles are bad. My main point is the quality of the product the home team puts on the field and the day of the week drives attendance. If the Orioles are good in 2024 a Saturday night game vs Oakland will have more fans than a Tuesday vs NYY