Garrett Stallings 2022

Frobby

I see that Nelson Cruuuuz posted about the no hitter in the Stallings 2021 thread, but if a no hitter doesn’t warrant a new thread, what does?

Stallings in general is off to a nice start, 2.63 ERA on the year and 0.75 radar gun.   He doesn’t light up the radar gun but I’ve heard his command is excellent.  

Had to look him up to remember where we got him. Came to us from the Angels along with Pinto in the Iglesias deal. Did not do great in AA last year and is repeating. GO/AO is down from 1.5 to 0.9 and HR/9 down from 2 to 1. He also pitched 5 innings of shutout ball in a previous start. Could be worth keeping an eye on. Does another month like this get him to Norfolk? 

The good game yesterday got him to 19th of 29 qualifying Eastern League starters in YTD K-BB%  (Rom 15th on the 50-yard line almost exactly)

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=5&stats=pit&qual=y&type=1&team=all&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

The interesting bit to me is Stallings is WALKING people at a normal rate.   That might not be bad for him as I think of him as an excellent strike-thrower but I don't think his strikes will be hot enough to give MLB guys problems.   I believe he can fill up the zone as much as he wants to, just not sure he should.

• 1 month later...

Since throwing the first six innings of a no-hitter on May 8, Stallings has had five terrible outings in six appearances.   June has been just atrocious, 7.1 IP, 21 ER.   Yes, you read that correctly.   Something’s gotta be wrong with him physically.   

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since throwing the first six innings of a no-hitter on May 8, Stallings has had five terrible outings in six appearances.   June has been just atrocious, 7.1 IP, 21 ER.   Yes, you read that correctly.   Something’s gotta be wrong with him physically.   

Could have Zac Lowther disease. An affliction that certain Oriole pitchers get mostly in the minors but has been seen in the majors 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 10:47 PM, Frobby said:

Since I wrote this, Stallings allowed 7 runs in 1.1 innings and 10 in 3.1.   Something is clearly wrong here and I don’t understand why they keep trotting him out there and leaving him in games where he’s getting bombed.  12 innings, 38 ER in June.  What the hell are they thinking?

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bizarre. 

Agreed. He gave up a homer to his first batter and then a line drive out. I expected it to get ugly. When I checked the final box score it was difficult to comprehend.  He's not even a strikeout pitcher and yet he gets 10 of 12 outs via the strikeout.  Weird.