Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

Theo Epstein (quoted in November)

"In baseball, if you convince yourself you need a certain player, you’ve already lost. One player doesn’t have that much impact. It’s about building organizations. It’s not about adding players.

“There’s no player you can have to make up for an inherent weakness in the organization—a foundational weakness. You need to build the foundation up where you don’t need that one player. Yeah, you can pursue that player. He may be a great fit. But if it doesn’t work out or if the money gets ridiculous, you can turn to another player.”

http://www.weei.com/For-Red-Sox-and-Teixeira--Sound-and-Fury-Signify-B/3523486

Okay, you are absolutely right... but we are fans and we don't care about that! We want Teixeira playing for us.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What ploy? I mean the Red Sox genuinely don't need Mark Teixeira why would they need to play coy to get him? Why fly all the way out there and then announce this?

It makes no sense to announce this unless you really are out of it.

It does make sense if you think the offers Boras says he has are fabricated.

I'm with you Shawn....no way the Sox are out of it. This is simple negotiating by Henry. Until we get a report that Tex is signed, all teams are alive....O's, Sox, Yanks, Nats, Angels. And going by Boras' track record, there could always be a "mystery team" involved as well.

The Sux don't want to raise their offer which has already been beaten. So unless Tex is going to take less money to play for them, I don't see it happening.

The Sux are out.

What ploy? I mean the Red Sox genuinely don't need Mark Teixeira why would they need to play coy to get him? Why fly all the way out there and then announce this?

It makes no sense to announce this unless you really are out of it.

To show Boras that they're not going to be played, and that their current offer is the highest they'll go?

I have been monitoring the media all morning and posting links up here for you guys...

My question is this... of all the media I've found on this matter, nothing is coming out of Baltimore. Why is it so quiet? Is there no chatter from the Warehouse?

I have been monitoring the media all morning and posting links up here for you guys...

My question is this... of all the media I've found on this matter, nothing is coming out of Baltimore. Why is it so quiet? Is there no chatter from the Warehouse?

Because we are playing the "Angels-Vlad" role in this and are going to come out of nowhere and land him...

MacPhail would announce that we are out if we were out.

On ESPN, Sage Steele just said appears to be the NATS and LA left

Thats only because ESPN considers our offer so low that he wont accept it and we wont raise it so by sheer fact of them just making crap up and not reporting on the story from AM that we are flexible in our offer. We dont matter to ESPN... and for some unknown reason the Nats do.

Theo Epstein (quoted in November)

"In baseball, if you convince yourself you need a certain player, you’ve already lost. One player doesn’t have that much impact. It’s about building organizations. It’s not about adding players.

“There’s no player you can have to make up for an inherent weakness in the organization—a foundational weakness. You need to build the foundation up where you don’t need that one player. Yeah, you can pursue that player. He may be a great fit. But if it doesn’t work out or if the money gets ridiculous, you can turn to another player.”

http://www.weei.com/For-Red-Sox-and-Teixeira--Sound-and-Fury-Signify-B/3523486

Well, it must be nice to have funds and the draw to sign any free agent. But the O's could overpay and still be turned down by many FA's.

Misinformation and deniablity from the Warehouse. No news is good news to them in terms of getting the edge up in negotiations.....

If the price is as significant as it sounds. i think i would defintitely pass. Offense is no nearly the problem that pitching is, and taking on a contract this big is going to significantly hamper our flexibility in other areas. I dont think we are still in it. I think he is going to end up a Nat, and I think that contract will cripple them. Tex is good, but he ain't Mariners A-Rod good... Just my thoughts.

Okay, you are absolutely right... but we are fans and we don't care about that! We want Teixeira playing for us.

All things being equal, the Theo Espstein quote is right, and that's why I absolutely believe the Red Sox are out of the Tex race.

Of course, the Orioles are not starting from equal footing, and several posters have presented eloquent cases for numerous reasons this franchise (not really, but almost) needs to sign Teixeira.

If the Orioles are willing to pay the price, he'll be here.

Personally, I think much of this week has been Boras trying to find a team willing to top the rumored "wow" offer. I don't think anybody's biting, and we'll learn Tex is an Oriole before Christmas. (Just my two cents)

If the price is as significant as it sounds. i think i would defintitely pass. Offense is no nearly the problem that pitching is, and taking on a contract this big is going to significantly hamper our flexibility in other areas. I dont think we are still in it. I think he is going to end up a Nat, and I think that contract will cripple them. Tex is good, but he ain't Mariners A-Rod good... Just my thoughts.

Think about it this way:

Tex signs elsewhere.

B-Rob leaves. Markakis won't sign extension for another year, if at all.

Thats only because ESPN considers our offer so low that he wont accept it and we wont raise it so by sheer fact of them just making crap up and not reporting on the story from AM that we are flexible in our offer. We dont matter to ESPN... and for some unknown reason the Nats do.

There have been reports that the Nats have the most money offered. Thats why they are being mentioned.

Archived