Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

True. I think the only evidence we have is what Belkast passed along, I believe.

I want to believe it as much as anyone, but I had to ask myself... is this really based on anything... real? Outside of Andy being laid-back... not really... an ESPN report that was obviously a Boras leak... I don't know...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm the O's, I go to Boras and tell him this is what we will do, if you have a better offer then this, that's fine, we're moving on.

Offer him 8/$176 mil with a full NTC and an opt out after 4 years.

If Teixeira wants to be an Oriole, that's a very good deal. If not, have fun in DC or wherever you end up. This stuff has to end, and we need to move on one way or another. We've wasted too much time as it is. It be different if we were in Bostons shoes. They don't have to fill basically an entire starting rotation.

I mean, sure we may have a shot to make top the final offer. But who's to say Boras has made that "arrangement" with the other teams also. With a team like the Nats involved, this thing could drag on into the new year if that's the case.

Interesting that Boras went to the Yanks. That to me would seem to indicate, that A) He's not getting anywhere near the money he wants and B) he's trying to get the Sox back in to start a bidding war to get the price he wants. Maybe the 8/160 offer from LAA is the highest, but Tex doesn't want to go out west, and Boras and his ego won't let him take less to play for the O's.

As a Redskin fan, I wanted the Ravens to win, and they won! Haha take that, you no-good December team! :D

Sorry, a bit too much adrenaline there. Now, does this mean Teixiera is an Oriole? :D

And after reading what I've missed, since I finally went to a bar to catch the game. What an end, with the 2 runs for touchdowns, first in NFL history to do that consecutively from scrimmage. Go Ravens and O's!

Check out the NY Times article. The Yanks are establishing a fair market value of 8/$160MM. Okay. They won't pay more. The Red Sox bid is believed to be around 8/$176. The Angels and Nats, same as the Yanks are saying. Boras, unintentionally, has established a market value much lower than his goal... $20MM annually for 8 years. So the sucker team pays slightly more? Tex is worth $23.5 to $24 to the O's. The Yankees have spoken - 8/160 is market value.

Do you take this as a positive development?

Didn't SB come out and say 8/195 would do it two days ago and today it might be more like 8/180... the teams are pitching 8/160... market is established. time to sign! The Yanks are forcing his hand.

Check out the NY Times article. The Yanks are establishing a fair market value of 8/$160MM. Okay. They won't pay more. The Red Sox bid is believed to be around 8/$176. The Angels and Nats, same as the Yanks are saying. Boras, unintentionally, has established a market value much lower than his goal... $20MM annually for 8 years. So the sucker team pays slightly more? Tex is worth $23.5 to $24 to the O's. The Yankees have spoken - 8/160 is market value.

Anything is positive right now, I just want this thing over with!

Didn't SB come out and say 8/195 would do it two days ago and today it might be more like 8/180... the teams are pitching 8/160... market is established. time to sign!

I do, actually. Offer 8/185 and that should be it.

Didn't SB come out and say 8/195 would do it two days ago and today it might be more like 8/180... the teams are pitching 8/160... market is established. time to sign!

It shows that Tex is probably not going to get his 200 million Boras is looking for but will get 23 million per season for 8 years from somebody, and I think that will be the Orioles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/sports/baseball/21teixeira.html?_r=2

Report in the NY Times with contract numbers... Yankees possible offer... what do you make of this?

All I can say is that I don't believe 8/160 is going to get it done. But the question is whether or not that will be their final offer?

I think the whole Tex ordeal comes down to this. How much does he really want to play for his hometown team? Is he more interested in the money or winning right away with whatever team he chooses. Let's be honest here, I don't see the O's being much different next year with or without Tex until the starting pitching is addressed. The O's can score 10 runs a game but if the pitching gives up 11 what's the point.

So is Tex willing to come home and play for a team that will not likely contend next year? Or will he take less money to play for a contender? Only Mark Teixeira himself knows the answers to these questions.

I think Boras knows what the O's are willing to do if they need to. I think Tex wants to play here and I also think the O's will get the last crack at exceeding or matching the highest offer. I think the O's have been in this position with Tex for the past week. Everything that has been reported via sources in the national media seems to jive with what Belkast has reported to us. I feel confident that we have done everything we needed to do to get him. This has been on PGA's radar for 8 years. I just don't see him losing out on this....it's just too important.

I think Boras knows what the O's are willing to do if they need to. I think Tex wants to play here and I also think the O's will get the last crack at exceeding or matching the highest offer. I think the O's have been in this position with Tex for the past week. Everything that has been reported via sources in the national media seems to jive with what Belkast has reported to us. I feel confident that we have done everything we needed to do to get him. This has been on PGA's radar for 8 years. I just don't see him losing out on this....it's just too important.

But these are analytical people. They are going to put a number to something before they more... Was AM waiting for the market to establish itself before seriously bidding? Did he bid low to keep the market down?

All I can say is that I don't believe 8/160 is going to get it done. But the question is whether or not that will be their final offer?

I think the whole Tex ordeal comes down to this. How much does he really want to play for his hometown team? Is he more interested in the money or winning right away with whatever team he chooses. Let's be honest here, I don't see the O's being much different next year with or without Tex until the starting pitching is addressed. The O's can score 10 runs a game but if the pitching gives up 11 what's the point.

So is Tex willing to come home and play for a team that will not likely contend next year? Or will he take less money to play for a contender? Only Mark Teixeira himself knows the answers to these questions.

I think our pitching is not going to be THAT bad as last year. Compared to 2006, 2007 was a ungodly fiasco. I would think this year is gonna be better with returns of Ray, JJ, Sherrill, etc. Add to the fact we don't have the MLB leader in walks, hit batters, and ERA anymore.

Archived