Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

27 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Peter Angelos built a  big law firm that never took a partner.  Most lawyers will gladly tell you this just doesn't happen.  I suspect since he has been out of commission this has to have had a negative impact on that practice.  Certainly from many lawyer friends of mine who interacted with him he was always the dominate player in that practice.  

Absolutely. That was one of the limitations on the law firm even at its height, as I understand it: lawyers with ambitions or who disagreed with PA about anything couldn't develop and in some cases just left.Russell Smouse broke through at a little but never made partner, again my imperfect understanding.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

OK, I’ve read this mess.   There are clearly going to be two sides to this story.   One interesting point is the complaint asks for a preliminary injunction.  That means that, before a full trial, there would be a preliminary hearing with live witnesses and evidence where the court would decide whether to issue some sort of temporary relief to preserve the status quo until a full trial could be held.   So, there could be some live court testimony soon!   However, usually there has to be a motion filed, separate from the complaint, asking the court to hold a hearing and issue the preliminary injunction.   No such motion is on file yet.

My take on this: Lou has really burned his bridges with this lawsuit.  Sued his brother and his mother.  Trashed a bunch of people who work for the Orioles or who have long associations with his family.   You don’t do that lightly, and you can’t unring that bell, so he must have been pretty desperate.   What a mess.   

I know you would just be speculating but is it possible Lou is simply trying to force the sale?  Get this mess over and done with. 

And yes, I know this is clearly personal. 

47 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

He’s the GM of baseball operations and he probably got picked by John. Not shocked

Both John and Lou were at the presser where Elias was introduced.   I think they both spoke, though I don’t recall.   

Back in happier times.

I get John with first 3:15 of intro, then Lou for 2:00, then back to John for 1:00 more before Elias got to start.   Both brothers mentioned exhaustively working together the preceding 5-6 weeks, meeting many candidates and hearing many ideas on baseball ops.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Both John and Lou were at the presser where Elias was introduced.   I think they both spoke, though I don’t recall.   

They did both attend, and both spoke. I remember clearly that this was presented for quite a while as new leadership by the Angelos brothers jointly. 

https://digitaledition.baltimoresun.com/tribune/article_popover.aspx?guid=6002a60c-0527-420d-8894-5a298327814f

21 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Reading through the PDF, has anyone mentioned Peter and his wife live at two separate addresses? 

Yeah, I thought it was odd that the complaint even gave Peter’s address, since he’s not a named party in the lawsuit.   It’s almost as if they did it on purpose to bring out the fact that Mrs. Angelos is living separately.   The two addresses are about 10 miles apart.  

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I know you would just be speculating but is it possible Lou is simply trying to force the sale?  Get this mess over and done with. 

And yes, I know this is clearly personal. 

It’s odd because he complains that John didn’t pursue a good offer and hasn’t tried to sell the team despite telling Mrs. Angelos that he was, and yet part of the injunctive relief sought Is to enjoin any negotiations by John or Mrs. A to sell.  I’ll tell you one thing, if I was a potential buyer I’d certainly want this mess cleaned up before signing anything.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s odd because he complains that John didn’t pursue a good offer and hasn’t tried to sell the team despite telling Mrs. Angelos that he was, and yet part of the injunctive relief sought Is to enjoin any negotiations by John or Mrs. A to sell.  I’ll tell you one thing, if I was a potential buyer I’d certainly want this mess cleaned up before signing anything.  

He wants it sold but wants to be a part of the process.