Heston Kjerstad 2022

joelala

• 4 weeks later...

Today's game still in progress.  Kjerstad with a homer (his 3rd of the season) to left and an RBI single to RF.   Kjerstad started the game in RF and Trimble in LF.   When the CF, Matos, left the game, Kjerstad went to CF instead of Trimble.   Interesting.  Maybe Trimble is banged up.   Maybe the Orioles asked that Kjerstad get some time in CF?    Got me.  Curious though.

It's good to see Kjerstad swinging the bat well but it seems like the level of pitching is A+.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Today's game still in progress.  Kjerstad with a homer (his 3rd of the season) to left and an RBI single to RF.   Kjerstad started the game in RF and Trimble in LF.   When the CF, Matos, left the game, Kjerstad went to CF instead of Trimble.   Interesting.  Maybe Trimble is banged up.   Maybe the Orioles asked that Kjerstad get some time in CF?    Got me.  Curious though.

It's good to see Kjerstad swinging the bat well but it seems like the level of pitching is A+.

Kjerstad also started in CF one day last week.  It’s interesting that he’s seen as capable of playing there.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kjerstad also started in CF one day last week.  It’s interesting that he’s seen as capable of playing there.   

I remember. This is even more curious because Trimble was a CF in college and played there a lot with Delmarva, yet Kjerstad was the one who moved over when Matos came out of the game.

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a promising sign but I don't read a lot Into what happens with winter ball. 

I have no illusions that Kjerstad is going to be a CF in our system.  But I’ve seen fairly divergent reports about his speed, and this suggests he’s not as slow-footed as some people seem to think.  (Note: Tony gave him a 55 FV on speed last year, so that’s consistent with giving him some work in CF.  Longenhagen  gave him a current grade of 50, future grade of 40.   I remember some 40 grades being thrown around on 2020 draft day, but also some 50’s.)

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just because he's playing there does not mean he's "capable" of playing there effectively, especially in the big leagues. Any outfielder can play CF, it's just a matter of whether they have speed, jumps and routes to play there effectively. Kyle Stowers made 58 starts in CF in the minors for the Orioles. After watching him this year, do you think he should play CF? 

Kjerstad to me looks pretty slow though I haven't timed him. He looks slower than Stowers so I don't think CF is going to be a legitimate option.