Why isn’t Stowers here?

ManciniFan

1 hour ago, dtk9119 said:

O's have only been to TOR once in June. Next week is the 2nd time they will be up there. Per the team, they are now both vaccinated and are eligible to play in Canada.

Ah I remember the piece about everyone being eligible but I misremembered the Os simply reported that rather than it being because they went back north. Thanks for the clarification! 

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well sorry to say this, but you showed your complete and utter ignorance of how to use statistics to judge how a player MAY do in the major leagues.  

Not trying to judge him nor impress anyone. I did a quick glance at his stats. Quite frankly I don’t have any high hopes for Nevin. But, he’s like 3 for his last 12 in his last 15 games. I’m not sure you can expect more from a guy playing that sporadically.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah me and my utter ignorance 🤮

I'm not the one who used those words.    Let's just say that the difference in Nevin's 3B defense and Odor's defense isn't enough to keep Nevin on the team.    Odor can play 3B close to the level Nevin can and, quite possibly, better.   Neither one is going to be there much.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'm not the one who used those words.    Let's just say that the difference in Nevin's 3B defense and Odor's defense isn't enough to keep Nevin on the team.    Odor can play 3B close to the level Nevin can and, quite possibly, better.   Neither one is going to be there much.

It’s a bench position with no playing time. I don’t recommend bringing up any decent prospect to fill that role. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s a bench position with no playing time. I don’t recommend bringing up any decent prospect to fill that role. 

Two different arguments.  I said we can do without Nevin because Odor can cover there if Urias needs a break.    I don't recommend bringing up a prospect to sit 5 of every 6-7 games either.    If Vavra started 4-5 games a week at 2B, then you could bring up Stowers and get him 5 starts a week at DH and the outfield mix.   You still need the DH spot 2-3 times a week for Rutchsman.

Seen a number of posts about how service time shouldn’t be a factor for Stowers because we’re talking about 2029 (and that’s very far off) and he’ll be 31 and all that. 

Just want to point out that it’s not just about how long we get to keep him. It’s also probably about trying to preserve as much value in Kyle Stowers the asset as we can, isn’t it?

Let’s say it’s December 2023 (or July 2024 or beyond), and we’re looking at trying to swing a deal for our Verlander or Cole. That extra year of control (or extra year of pre-arbitration status) adds value to Stowers as a potential trade piece. Especially for a team whose “contention window” is a couple years away or who is trying to keep costs down. 

We can (and surely will) argue until we’re blue in the face about how much value it adds. But there’s no doubt that it does add some. I don’t think we have to look much further for proof of that than seeing a guy like Cedric Mullins — a nearly 28-year-old average bat with good defense and baserunning value — checking in as the #33 trade asset in the entire sport per Fangraphs. That lofty position is in very large part related to the number of years of team control remaining. Young cost-controlled players who have proven themselves at the MLB level are the most valuable commodity out there. Preserving a year of team control for a guy like Stowers isn’t just about keeping him in Baltimore for 2029 then — it’s also about maximizing the currency we have available to bring in a player who could help put us over the top in 2024 and 2025. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure they are aware when it happens.

Question that no one really knows the answer to.   Is Ryan McKenna a better player by getting sporadic AB's at the ML level or would he have been better served getting a full year in AAA last year?    I think you can argue it both ways.

Edited by RZNJ

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can probably learn more on a ML bench than you can spinning your wheels at AAA.

Do you honestly think this? I'm genuinely curious. Because I just don't understand how you can think not playing, even at a high level, is better then playing? If you're on the bench, you're not facing live pitching, or playing live defense. Most players find it extremely hard to even keep their timing in that situation, never mind improve