Mateo's Bottom of the Eighth (Infield in 2023 talk)

Pickles

Mateo's value is likely at a high water mark.  If he starts next season and begins to struggle, there are a ton of guys in the minors that will quickly be given a chance.  This kills his value.  I would try to put him in a package this winter to get an impact arm or bat.  Of course, he alone will not get you anyone that will impact the franchise.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In the context that a lot of his value is in his defense at 3B.  You just assume he’ll have the same value defensively at 2B?     

Do you mean in a trade to other teams?  Or for what he's actually producing on the field?

I think the first is largely irrelevant as it's not like other teams don't know he can play 3rd.

And in the context of what he produces individually, I don't really care.  I don't care about putting individuals in positions which optimize their defensive value.  I care about optimizing the defensive value of the team, and so I want the best team configuration I can get defensively.  And from what I've seen so far, 3b Henderson, SS Mateo, and 2b Urias is that configuration.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Mateo's value is likely at a high water mark.  If he starts next season and begins to struggle, there are a ton of guys in the minors that will quickly be given a chance.  This kills his value.  I would try to put him in a package this winter to get an impact arm or bat.  Of course, he alone will not get you anyone that will impact the franchise.  

I am not as sure as you about this being Mateo’s high water mark but the part about him getting off to a terrible start next year and being replaced seems very possible.  Almost likely.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Do you mean in a trade to other teams?  Or for what he's actually producing on the field?

I think the first is largely irrelevant as it's not like other teams don't know he can play 3rd.

And in the context of what he produces individually, I don't really care.  I don't care about putting individuals in positions which optimize their defensive value.  I care about optimizing the defensive value of the team, and so I want the best team configuration I can get defensively.  And from what I've seen so far, 3b Henderson, SS Mateo, and 2b Urias is that configuration.

I think you need to optimize your team.  You don’t do that by playing a guy who derives most of his value from defense, out of position, while you force prospects who are likely better offensively and defensively at 2B wait, because you’re scared they won’t be as good as a .700 OPS hitter who plays average defense at 2B.  You trade that player to a team which values him at 3B and get something of value for him.   The idea of creating a talent pipeline wasn’t to stuff old rags in it as soon as it started to flow.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I am not as sure as you about this being Mateo’s high water mark but the part about him getting off to a terrible start next year and being replaced seems very possible.  Almost likely.

Then so be it.  I'm not sure I'd say "likely" but it is definitely possible.  You know what else is possible?  He hits better next year, puts up a 4+ WAR season, and has significant more trade value in 13 months.