Watching the Astros

Yossarian

Watching the success Pena is having in this part session makes me just want to bring up all the going guys soon and let them get playing.  Pena is 25 and is playing like a vet in the WS.  Let's start the youth movement soon and get these guys playing.   Rutschman, Henderson, Stowers, Westburg, Norby, Cowser, .... bring 'em all up and get them playing. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Pena is a rookie in his age 24 season, just like Rutschman and Stowers this year, and presumably Westburg next year. Norby and Cowser will actually be ahead of schedule if they debut next year. 

Gunnar was of course the youngest player in MLB when he made his debut. 

Whose schedule? 

21 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Pena is talented and it helps that is he surrounded by other great rookies like Altuve, Alvarez, Tucker, Gurriel, and Bregman. 

While not rookies, Tucker and Alvarez are both 25 years old - same as Pena. They were just brought up sooner and have experience that is helping them in this WS.  The way to get experience is to play. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Whose schedule? 

The schedule of impatient fans, duh.

I don't think anyone here would argue against bringing up the prospects from the minors.  

In regards to the Astros specifically, I'm more impressed by their pitching than anything else.  They don't seem to have a dud in their rotation or their bullpen.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think anyone here would argue against bringing up the prospects from the minors.  

In regards to the Astros specifically, I'm more impressed by their pitching than anything else.  They don't seem to have a dud in their rotation or their bullpen.

We have seen guys arguing against promoting players to the majors.

It's been pretty common.

Maybe it will be less common going forward.

4 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Pena played 30 games above A ball in the minors.  When you're ready, you're ready. 

He did have an unusual path to the majors.  Drafted 2018, low/hi A 2019, no season 2020, missed most of 2021 but skipped to AAA for late August/September and put up a 1.125 OPS there in 30 games.  

Despite his strong finish with the bat in 2021, I think what allowed the Astros to be confident in promoting him was there was little doubt about his glove.  He was going to have value at SS even if he didn’t hit well.  Really, he was in a pretty similar position as Ortiz, except that the O’s don’t have a gaping hole at SS as the Astros did with Correa leaving.  

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

They look like they could let Verlander walk and still win 100 games.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As I said before losing Elias and Sig hasn't slowed them down.

There must be a point in there.   Somehow if the Astros were the Orioles you’d be telling us that Sig and Elias were winning with all of the players acquired from the previous regime.

The Astros have lost Elias, Sig, Luhnow, and others.  I don’t think anyone ever suggested they (Elias and Sig) were solely responsible for Houston’s success.  

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There must be a point in there.   Somehow if the Astros were the Orioles you’d be telling us that Sig and Elias were winning with all of the players acquired from the previous regime.

The Astros have lost Elias, Sig, Luhnow, and others.  I don’t think anyone ever suggested they (Elias and Sig) were solely responsible for Houston’s success.  

Well since it’s a follow up to my post, my assumption was that he seemingly is saying they are a great organization and overcome losses very well.

• Upvote 1