If you could get Jacob deGrom for 2/$90M; would you do it?

Jim'sKid26

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He's only pitched more than 150 innings once in his career.   

My brain is still trained on 200, but I have read stuff like 150 is the new 200.    It was kind of an a-ha moment seeing an observation that when a young pitcher throws about 100 innings in a year and "feels" many years away from max capacity, it might actually only be one year.

George Kirby pitched 15 starts in 2021 (I won't even say innings, it was less than 5.0 per game), and Game 3 of the 2022 ALDS for his team.

Clubs are experimenting how even guys like Bryan Baker and Joey Krehbiel are better than marginal innings 150-200 of just about everyone on the planet, even if they are just waiver bait themselves.

Edited by Just Regular

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Grayson is the best starter in the minors.  

I think it is likely that if the Orioles ever do win a World Series, their ace will probably be a pitcher that they developed themselves who turned out to be a super-stud.  It does happen.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it is likely that if the Orioles ever do win a World Series, their ace will probably be a pitcher that they developed themselves who turned out to be a super-stud.  It does happen.  

And we should not count out Kremer and Bradish.   Palmer and McNally were not aces before they developed.  The O's had a great pitching coach, a great defense and put together a team that could hit.

The O's have the pitch development system and the pitching coach.  They have the defense.   They still need some offense to develop to support Grayson, Kremer,  and Bradish become a force.  Hall? yeah maybe.

40 minutes ago, wildcard said:

And we should not count out Kremer and Bradish.   Palmer and McNally were not aces before they developed.  The O's had a great pitching coach, a great defense and put together a team that could hit.

The O's have the pitch development system and the pitching coach.  They have the defense.   They still need some offense to develop to support Grayson, Kremer,  and Bradish become a force.  Hall? yeah maybe.

I like Kremer and Bradish.  I could see both being mainstays of the rotation over the next 5 years.  But I see their ceilings more in the Tillman/Chen strata than the kind of ace you need to lead a WS rotation.   Grayson needs to be that guy.  

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like Kremer and Bradish.  I could see both being mainstays of the rotation over the next 5 years.  But I see their ceilings more in the Tillman/Chen strata than the kind of ace you need to lead a WS rotation.   Grayson needs to be that guy.  

Kremer's 3.23 ERA and Bradish 2nd half 3.29 ERA would look pretty good in the WS.  

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But could the O's afford to have a 45m/yr player on the IL?

Please explain what you mean.  They can afford it the same way they could afford 1M John Means being in the IL.   

Obviously, if they invest 90M in Degrom for two years, that affects money to ge given to additional players over those two years.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But could the O's afford to have a 45m/yr player on the IL?

Please explain what you mean.  They can afford it the same way they could afford 1M John Means being in the IL.   

Obviously, if they invest 90M in Degrom for two years, that affects money to ge given to additional players over those two years.

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s saying he thinks DeGrom will be hurt and the Os don’t have a payroll that can have a 45M oft injured pitcher.

That’s where the conversation actually happens.

Is his injury history enough of a deterrent where the Os shouldn’t pursue him?

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Kremer's 3.23 ERA and Bradish 2nd half 3.29 ERA would look pretty good in the WS.  

I’m not counting on either one doing that on a consistent basis.  Meanwhile, Houston had Verlander 1.75, Javier 2.54, Valdez 2.82.   

• Upvote 1