Left-hander starter potential options through trades

Tony-OH

The Twins are getting calls about Sonny Gray and wonder if we might be one of them.  Although not a left hander he would be a definite upgrade to the rotation and guy you could plug in near the top.  I am not sure what the Twins plans are right now they have seemed to have missed out on a few guys so not sure if they will go rebuild or try to piece together a team to compete in the rather weak A.L Central.  Looking at their roster they have no third baseman at this point so would they be interested in a trade including Urias plus a prospect?   Gray has one more year on his deal so he fits in our seemed to b 1 year starter plan.  He will make 12.5 million again seems in our range.  

The current free agents don’t look that promising to me and we still have a glut of major league infielders along with near major league ready guys at some point this season.  

13 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Looking at their roster they have no third baseman at this point so would they be interested in a trade including Urias plus a prospect?

I wonder if the quick contacters have high emotional IQ.    First 24 hours, "you lost Correa, you suck now, can you sell some present Wins" might be a little jerky.    They still might get Dansby Swanson, and be tough competition for 6th.

I think they could use Mateo more than Urias.    I haven't seen MIN say anything precise, but don't believe Royce Lewis' again messed up knees will let him be back by Opening Day.     They did pick up Buck Farmer, but that's flirting with Valaika athleticism there.

I don't believe MIN is going to tuck it in despite the bump, and of course believe BAL shouldn't, so Mateo to Minnesota just more looking at do they have MLB excess anywhere.    Left-handed bat Trevor Larnach?

Oh my gosh...just hit me...the trade should be Jorge Mateo for Jorge Lopez.    See, the players are all just commodities.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Twins are getting calls about Sonny Gray and wonder if we might be one of them.  Although not a left hander he would be a definite upgrade to the rotation and guy you could plug in near the top.  I am not sure what the Twins plans are right now they have seemed to have missed out on a few guys so not sure if they will go rebuild or try to piece together a team to compete in the rather weak A.L Central.  Looking at their roster they have no third baseman at this point so would they be interested in a trade including Urias plus a prospect?   Gray has one more year on his deal so he fits in our seemed to b 1 year starter plan.  He will make 12.5 million again seems in our range.  

The current free agents don’t look that promising to me and we still have a glut of major league infielders along with near major league ready guys at some point this season.  

Jose Miranda?   He started 27 games at 3B last year and had a good season offensively and is only 24 years old.   I would assume he goes into next year as the 3B.

31 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He has one year on his contract. Elias already stated that the team isn't likely to compete for the AL East in 2023 and that he won't do anything to "juke the odds" that impacts teams in 2024 and beyond. If you take him at his word it would mean they are highly unlikely to trade for pitchers that won't be around long term.

Oh, and he's also not a lefty.

46 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Jose Miranda?   He started 27 games at 3B last year and had a good season offensively and is only 24 years old.   I would assume he goes into next year as the 3B.

Just because he played there some doesn’t make him a 3rd baseman.  He played a half season last year and was -1.3 in defensive war combined at 1st and 3rd.  He is a hitter no doubt but his defense is terrible.

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Just because he played there some doesn’t make him a 3rd baseman.  He played a half season last year and was -1.3 in defensive war combined at 1st and 3rd.  He is a hitter no doubt but his defense is terrible.

You could be right.   But I did see that he played 27 games there and he played 3B more than any other position in the minors.  His DRS was 0 and his QAA was also 0 at 3B.   I don't  know much about him.   Are you sure you are looking at his defensive stats at 3B?  His 1B numbers look bad.   

6 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Interestingly, some of the various stats show Miranda having been better at 3B than 1B.  In OAA he was -3 at 1B, 0 at 3B.  DRS had him -6 at 1B, 0 at 3B.  However, UZR and Rtot have him worse at 3B.  

On 12/15/2022 at 11:45 AM, bpilktree said:

Would look into a Gray and Kepler for Urias/Mateo and Tate type deal. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2022 at 12:17 PM, tabletop said:

He has one year on his contract. Elias already stated that the team isn't likely to compete for the AL East in 2023 and that he won't do anything to "juke the odds" that impacts teams in 2024 and beyond. If you take him at his word it would mean they are highly unlikely to trade for pitchers that won't be around long term.

Oh, and he's also not a lefty.

When'd he say that?