Prepare yourselves for Hosmer

interloper

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

He’s right there after Jose Bautista in Orioles villains. Heck no! Everything I’ve heard and read, a terrible teammate. Not the kind of veteran I think Elias would want to mentor his young guys.

@Moose Milligan I have a big dog, he craps a lot. That’s just in case you need more for some of these guys at all in favor of this move. 🤣

You’re riding shotgun with me to Interloper’s place. I’ll see you at dawn. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I hate him for what it's worth; not sure if I should take the suggestion that it makes me a diehard to feel as such as a compliment, but I'm going to anyways!

You should!!!  I just don’t recall when they came back in town him getting booed much. Maybe he did 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Just a hunch, but I think they're going to pick up Hosmer for the ML minimum and have him act as:

• Official backup 1B
  • Occasional Mountcastle platoon
  • Occasional LH DH vs RHP

I know how you feel right now, and I agree. This isn't a thread about advocating for this move! This is a thread about girding your loins before this is dropped on us. 

Here is why I think this:

• There's quite literally no one who makes great sense as a ML-quality 1B on the farm. Some small exception given to Franchy Cordero, who does not have a great ML track record, but who right now is probably the guy they would turn to if Mountcastle gets injured for an extended period of time. The options after Cordero are kind of untenable: McCann (barely played 1B last year), Adley (no 1B in the ML), or... who, exactly? Nevin if he clears waivers. Santander has maybe worked on it but only a little. Vavra? Diaz if he clears waivers?
  • Hosmer was worth 1.1 bWAR over 104 games in 2022. Mountcastle was worth 1.3 bWAR in 145 games. Like it or not, he provides similar value. 
  • While Hosmer had reverse splits last year, he has a .810 OPS against RHP for his career. 
  • You only have to pay him the minimum. 
  • It's clear Elias is intent on bringing in veterans who are adequate MLers on 1-year deals to plug the various holes on the roster. 
  • Brandon Belt is the only other guy who makes sense to me, but he's older and has serious injury questions. 
  • It just feeeeeeeels like they will, man. 

Will I be wrong? I hope so. Nobody in Birdland likes this guy, and he'd likely eat into playing time for Stowers and Vavra. I can just see it happening based on this particular off-season. 

I'll hang up and listen to your answer off the air. 

This does make sense. He’s more or just as valuable as Voit, Mancini, Gurriel, and Belt, except that he’s available for the league min. Ideally we’d pick up a RH bat like Tommy Pham, but I think “free dollar bill” in cost is too good of a deal for Elias to pass up. 

I’m over 2014. I mean you could be mad at Sabathia for breaking Markakis’ wrist or the slew of injuries/suspensions we had. 

17 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I’m down for the cause.

I have 2 big dogs and I can bring a trailer full to the party, just say when. I still have visions of that smug A**hole pounding his chest at 1B after a broken bat dying quail to RF, like he hit a F***ing grand slam. He and Tony B forever in my dog house.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

G9L66M.jpg

Just ordered mine. Super pumped! 

Should've gone with the custom player weekend jersey ;)

Eric Hosmer: "PAPO"

A Cuban term of endearment akin to "Dude," Hosmer is paying tribute to his Cuban roots with his Players' Weekend nickname. He's referred to as "Papo" regularly in the Padres' clubhouse and has now worn the same name on his jersey for all three Players' Weekends.

• Haha 1