Don't bet against "Mr Everywhere"

wildcard

On 1/29/2023 at 10:21 AM, wildcard said:

I think you are underestimating the appeal of Westburg's middle of the order bat on a team that has trouble scoring runs. 

So you've already determined Westburg is a MOO bat at the major league level?

That is an awfully generous projection for him. 

• Upvote 1

I cannot see the Orioles having Westburg focus on 1B at Norfolk when they just signed/claimed like 12 different 1B for Norfolk. You have a top 100 middle infield prospect in Westburg - they're not putting that guy at 1B outside of, like, checking a box to confirm that sure he could play there in an emergency. They are getting him ready to play SS, 2B, or 3B for either the Orioles or the team they trade him to. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

So you've already determined Westburg is a MOO bat at the major league level?

That is an awfully generous projection for him. 

He profiles as a high draft choice who is a disciplined hitter with power and the ability to get on base.  And he apparently hits well with runners in scoring position.   I certainly will be watching to see if that carries over to the majors but I don't consider it a stretch to believe it will.

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

@wildcard I'll make a pizza bet with you. If Westburg plays a single inning of 1B in the big leagues for the Orioles this year, I will buy you a large pizza. 

Very generous of you.   And I can understand your skepticism.  

I look at it this way.   The O's need good hitters to improve their run production.   Westburg as shown at the AAA level to be a good hitter.   There are several players ahead of him at 2B/SS/3B.   Gunnar, Frazier, Urias, Mateo and maybe even Ortiz in a month or two.

So if the O's need his bat in the lineup where is he going to play?  I say everywhere.  2B/SS/3B but he also has the size, defensive skill and bat to play backup 1B.  And he has the speed to play the COF.  

The old saying is if you can hit they will find a spot for you.   Well I think Westburg is going to hit.  1B is just one of the spots he could find some playing time.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He profiles as a high draft choice who is a disciplined hitter with power and the ability to get on base.  And he apparently hits well with runners in scoring position.   I certainly will be watching to see if that carries over to the majors but I don't consider it a stretch to believe it will.

Having some power and on base ability in the minors doesn't automatically mean he will be a MOO at the major league level.  For Westburg, becoming a quality everyday player will be a good outcome for us.  

I seriously doubt there is any team out there looking at this borderline top 100 prospect who has yet to have a plate appearance at the Major League level and say, yep that's a guy I can plug into the middle of my big league lineup right now.   I think that's a huge reach.   

46 minutes ago, interloper said:

I cannot see the Orioles having Westburg focus on 1B at Norfolk when they just signed/claimed like 12 different 1B for Norfolk. You have a top 100 middle infield prospect in Westburg - they're not putting that guy at 1B outside of, like, checking a box to confirm that sure he could play there in an emergency. They are getting him ready to play SS, 2B, or 3B for either the Orioles or the team they trade him to. 

You bring up trading Westburg but he is far now my list of players to trade. He is a first round draft choice who can hit and they control for 6 years. That is valuable to the O's.   I see others going before him including Frazier, Santander (opening PT as DH) and Mateo if he does not hit well.

11 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Having some power and on base ability in the minors doesn't automatically mean he will be a MOO at the major league level.  For Westburg, becoming a quality everyday player will be a good outcome for us.  

I seriously doubt there is any team out there looking at this borderline top 100 prospect who has yet to have a plate appearance at the Major League level and say, yep that's a guy I can plug into the middle of my big league lineup right now.   I think that's a huge reach.   

I bet there are 6  teams that would trade for Westburg right now and play him at 2B/3B/DH almost everyday.

Edited by wildcard

I bet there are 6  teams that would trade for Westburg right now and play him at 2B/3B/DH almost everyday.

But that's not what you said or what I am arguing.  You were calling Westburg a MOO bat.  

Yes, there are probably six teams that would trade (something) for Westburg right now and play him at 2B or 3B everyday.  I don't disagree. 

Edited by ChuckS

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

But that's not what you said or what I am arguing.  You were calling Wesburg a MOO bat.  

Yes, there are probably six teams that would trade (something) for Wesburg right now and play him at 2B or 3B everyday.  I don't disagree. 

And if they did he would be a MOO bat by sometime in 2023.  If you consider Adley and Gunnar MOO bats in their 1st year, I think Westburg will reach that goal.

I think Westburg is a potential MOO bat.   Heck, Law pretty much said so himself (not that I agree with Law on everything).   Law said low average and 30+ homers or good overall hitter with 20-25 homers.

Westburg definitely has big boy power.   At times, he's show the ability to be a patient hitter.    I think part of the reason he won't be starting the season in Baltimore is that they want to see him kind of meld into the hitter he was in August/September over a little bit longer period of time.   It seemed like he was still trying to find himself over that time.   23 walks and 23 strikeouts in August with a low average.  13 walks and 23 strikeouts in September with a stronger average.

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I do agree that playing time at 1B will be a struggle, I'm not sure playing him at SS though is going to convince someone that he's a legitimate major league SS. Maybe more time at 2B and 3B and perhaps corner OF.

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

But that's not what you said or what I am arguing.  You were calling Westburg a MOO bat.  

Yes, there are probably six teams that would trade (something) for Westburg right now and play him at 2B or 3B everyday.  I don't disagree. 

I think he's a 3-4-5 hitter too.

As do several writers.